The Student Room Group

Na

Na
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by wintersun22
I already have my A Level results I'm reapplying for uni and got ABB in Bology, Chemistry and Maths. This Thursday is Results Day and I am still unsure about what I want to do at University. I have Chemistry, Biology and Biochemistry as potential options which I'm not too sure about which one to study. However I suppose I can change this once I get to the University. What is troubling me more is which University to go to , I've had a look at both and cannot decide , the University of Birmingham and the University of Nottingham. Bham does rank lower than Notts for Chem although of course rankings are based on many things. I dont know what career I'd like at the end of uni which is a little disconcerting but what uni has the better job prospects. Can anyone let me know how either Uni was like or their experience /any knowledge they have? I started studying at UoN but had to leave due to reasons. It is quite stressful as the deadline is so close but I cannot get any closer to a decision so need some well appreciated help.
Many thanks

Seems surprising you have been unable to make your mind up over a year later.
Did you go to open days?
Did you get work experience?
Normally they expect an A if you are doing that as your main.

You just seem totally undecided. In that case I would take another gap and get experience or do research to help you decide.
I already have my A Level results I'm reapplying for uni and got ABB in Bology, Chemistry and Maths. This Thursday is Results Day and I am still unsure about what I want to do at University. I have Chemistry, Biology and Biochemistry as potential options which I'm not too sure about which one to study. However I suppose I can change this once I get to the University. What is troubling me more is which University to go to , I've had a look at both and cannot decide , the University of Birmingham and the University of Nottingham. Bham does rank lower than Notts for Chem although of course rankings are based on many things. I dont know what career I'd like at the end of uni which is a little disconcerting but what uni has the better job prospects. Can anyone let me know how either Uni was like or their experience /any knowledge they have? I started studying at UoN but had to leave due to reasons. It is quite stressful as the deadline is so close but I cannot get any closer to a decision so need some well appreciated help.
Many thanks

If you are this unsure about what you want to study, then I'm not sure that going through clearing would necessarily be the best choice- especially as you have already used your gift year. It's not always guaranteed that you can swap courses once you are at the uni.

Do you think it might be a better option to start afresh somewhere else?
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If you are this unsure about what you want to study, then I'm not sure that going through clearing would necessarily be the best choice- especially as you have already used your gift year. It's not always guaranteed that you can swap courses once you are at the uni.

Do you think it might be a better option to start afresh somewhere else?

I think it might be and although I have used up my gift year I feel like the whole idea of university is really daunting. I feel like in one mind I feel that I want to move out but on others I will miss home. I am really uncertain and it's making me nervous. Thank you for your response. 😊
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Seems surprising you have been unable to make your mind up over a year later.
Did you go to open days?
Did you get work experience?
Normally they expect an A if you are doing that as your main.

You just seem totally undecided. In that case I would take another gap and get experience or do research to help you decide.

I have been to both unis and had work experience in multiple areas but I still don't know what I want to do. I've thought about it a lot but it is quite overwhelming as I don't feel very confident being alone at University. Thank you for your response
I have been to both unis and had work experience in multiple areas but I still don't know what I want to do. I've thought about it a lot but it is quite overwhelming as I don't feel very confident being alone at University. Thank you for your response

Btw if you already have your results, then theres been nothing to stop you in clearing as its been open since July.

These are the things you are letting you cloud your judgement and you need to sort out.

1. Homesickness and being away from uni.= normally through self esteem training, greater social involvement and more social skills.
2. Which subject will be open to study for you. Do the research, look at the course modules and teaching methods. Look at careers you might do.
3. Which uni. Besides 1 and living at home, then talk to people who attend and do a pros and cons for each. they are both good unis , just a bit different and you need to pick the one that suits you.

Do you think you have social anxiety? You either sound unduly worried about uni or you have social anxiety that will prevent you enjoying yourself or could result in quitting.

Everyone gets a bit homesick except some of the ones that couldnt wait to get away and have dysfunctional families.
Some that are homescik get over it.
Some do not and either leave or are unhappy because they hide in their room.

If you really dopnt feel up to it defer get a job and build up your confidence.
I think it might be and although I have used up my gift year I feel like the whole idea of university is really daunting. I feel like in one mind I feel that I want to move out but on others I will miss home. I am really uncertain and it's making me nervous. Thank you for your response. 😊

No worries- if you are feeling this unsure, are you sure uni is right for you this year? Have you considered any other options?
Reply 7
Btw if you already have your results, then theres been nothing to stop you in clearing as its been open since July.

These are the things you are letting you cloud your judgement and you need to sort out.

1. Homesickness and being away from uni.= normally through self esteem training, greater social involvement and more social skills.
2. Which subject will be open to study for you. Do the research, look at the course modules and teaching methods. Look at careers you might do.
3. Which uni. Besides 1 and living at home, then talk to people who attend and do a pros and cons for each. they are both good unis , just a bit different and you need to pick the one that suits you.

Do you think you have social anxiety? You either sound unduly worried about uni or you have social anxiety that will prevent you enjoying yourself or could result in quitting.

Everyone gets a bit homesick except some of the ones that couldnt wait to get away and have dysfunctional families.
Some that are homescik get over it.
Some do not and either leave or are unhappy because they hide in their room.

If you really dopnt feel up to it defer get a job and build up your

I do have some social anxiety but more so general anxiety and I've been trying to deal with it since leaving uni but I do get unduly worried I agree. I do also live in a dysfunctional, strict household but at the same time I'm so used to living with my family that I find the idea really hard. I just think I'm emotionally a little weak and not too confident once out of my comfort zone and for me uni is super out of my comfort zone. I wouldn't mind waiting and deferring but my family is not supportive in that at all. I come from an asian background and if you're familiar with it it can be quite hard. I found myself last time I went to uni, tearing up and getting anxiety attacks. This time I am still unsure I will take on board your advice as I feel it would help a lot. I think i left uni because of my social anxiety, mental health and feeling overwhelmed. Thank you for all your help
Reply 8
Original post by SarcAndSpark
No worries- if you are feeling this unsure, are you sure uni is right for you this year? Have you considered any other options?

To be honest I often think university isnt for me the whole idea of it makes me really overwhelmed. Academically is less the problem it's more so the idea of going and if it's right for me etc that makes me really anxious. There are other options like apprenticeships but my family dont really support those routes and although I think it's important to do what's best for you I dont want to disappoint them and myself either. I just feel so unsure between the options I said and really need to decide.
To be honest I often think university isnt for me the whole idea of it makes me really overwhelmed. Academically is less the problem it's more so the idea of going and if it's right for me etc that makes me really anxious. There are other options like apprenticeships but my family dont really support those routes and although I think it's important to do what's best for you I dont want to disappoint them and myself either. I just feel so unsure between the options I said and really need to decide.

I understand not wanting to disappoint your family, and I do understand feeling a lot of pressure in these situations. Not going to uni this year doesn't mean not going ever- it just means putting it off until you feel confident and sure.

If you go this year and end up having to drop out again, you won't get another fully funded course.

I would talk to both unis in clearing and see if you get any offers (remember, clearing offers are not guaranteed), but if you do accept an offer it would be a good idea to think long and hard about whether this is what you really want before taking it up in September.
I do have some social anxiety but more so general anxiety and I've been trying to deal with it since leaving uni but I do get unduly worried I agree. I do also live in a dysfunctional, strict household but at the same time I'm so used to living with my family that I find the idea really hard. I just think I'm emotionally a little weak and not too confident once out of my comfort zone and for me uni is super out of my comfort zone. I wouldn't mind waiting and deferring but my family is not supportive in that at all. I come from an asian background and if you're familiar with it it can be quite hard. I found myself last time I went to uni, tearing up and getting anxiety attacks. This time I am still unsure I will take on board your advice as I feel it would help a lot. I think i left uni because of my social anxiety, mental health and feeling overwhelmed. Thank you for all your help

Then one of the things you need to have in place is what support network they have.

I can see the dilemma with the asian family as its often they dont or wont want you to leave.

My concern is that you have had a year to prepare and you should have in place a survival anti homesickness be a happy independent person strategy that is resilient enough to get you through.

Maybe you could do an apprenticeship and increase confidence that way? You just need to be resilient enough so you can deal with a few setbacks and enough social skills to make some friends.

Try and use societies to make friends but also to do things you like and build up confidence plus reduce stress that way.
Then one of the things you need to have in place is what support network they have.

I can see the dilemma with the asian family as its often they dont or wont want you to leave.

My concern is that you have had a year to prepare and you should have in place a survival anti homesickness be a happy independent person strategy that is resilient enough to get you through.

Maybe you could do an apprenticeship and increase confidence that way? You just need to be resilient enough so you can deal with a few setbacks and enough social skills to make some friends.

Try and use societies to make friends but also to do things you like and build up confidence plus reduce stress that way.

Yeah I am concerned too I think this is an ongoing problem that I have and I need to solve it or mitigate it in some way so I can be resilient enough to get through university especially independently. I often get so worked up about it I cannot think straight and that's how I ended up leaving in the first place. Thank you I will definitely look into societies and ways of having fun to help reduce the stress
Yeah I am concerned too I think this is an ongoing problem that I have and I need to solve it or mitigate it in some way so I can be resilient enough to get through university especially independently. I often get so worked up about it I cannot think straight and that's how I ended up leaving in the first place. Thank you I will definitely look into societies and ways of having fun to help reduce the stress

My point is you are either in a position where uni can be good for you and you can cope by pushing through. Youy then grow at uni and start mastering the anxiety.

The alternative is it gets too much , you dont make friends and hide in your room, wishing you were at home.
It is best to go prepared from a social. mh and effective study aspect. SFE will pay this time they wont the next if you leave. Only you can assess and maybe with the help of people who know you, at what stage you are. Dont worry if its this year or the next, just you making the right choices for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending