The Student Room Group

Clearing with low GCSE

Hello,

Results day is coming very soon and I was wondering if universities really care or are strict in the GCSE requirements. For example I saw that Bristol is offering Management however is asking for a 7 when I have a 4. I exceed their BTEC required of DDD by two grades.

Would it be a waste of time to call them on Thursday? I’ve emailed them however no response yet so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
If a university has a GCSE requirement that you dont meet they wont usually accept you irrespective of your A level performance. If they require grade A Maths there is a reason for that.
i’m no expert, but if the gcse is a requirement rather than a guide there is probably a reason why it’s so high, they need you to be competent enough in that subject to succeed on the degree. if you’re so far below it are you sure that course is for you anyway?
Original post by S1M001
Hello,

Results day is coming very soon and I was wondering if universities really care or are strict in the GCSE requirements. For example I saw that Bristol is offering Management however is asking for a 7 when I have a 4. I exceed their BTEC required of DDD by two grades.

Would it be a waste of time to call them on Thursday? I’ve emailed them however no response yet so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

For English and maths, usually the GCSE requirements are set at the level the uni feel is needed to cope with the course- this means they do care and are reasonably strict. There may be some flexibility, but probably not from a 7 to a 4. I'd probably be calling other unis first and getting an offer in the bag before calling Bristol.
Reply 4
Original post by Ashstudent1
i’m no expert, but if the gcse is a requirement rather than a guide there is probably a reason why it’s so high, they need you to be competent enough in that subject to succeed on the degree. if you’re so far below it are you sure that course is for you anyway?

Yes I understand why they’ve put it so high but I know I would able to succeed on this course. I’ve been studying business since GCSE and enjoy it a lot however I never really cared for education at the time.

I was actually meant to re sit my maths gcse this year however it got cancelled and my sixth form won’t be able to provide me with a predicted grade.

Would you think taking a gap year and retaking maths is a better idea?
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
For English and maths, usually the GCSE requirements are set at the level the uni feel is needed to cope with the course- this means they do care and are reasonably strict. There may be some flexibility, but probably not from a 7 to a 4. I'd probably be calling other unis first and getting an offer in the bag before calling Bristol.

Thanks a lot, will call some unis tomorrow.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
If a university has a GCSE requirement that you dont meet they wont usually accept you irrespective of your A level performance. If they require grade A Maths there is a reason for that

My maths gcse is really pulling me down. I’ve seen many courses which I exceed their requirements in however I don’t meet the gcse requirement. Idk what to do I don’t want to settle for a lower uni.
Original post by S1M001
My maths gcse is really pulling me down. I’ve seen many courses which I exceed their requirements in however I don’t meet the gcse requirement. Idk what to do I don’t want to settle for a lower uni.

The Maths requirement is there because there is a Maths requirement needed for the course. This is typically for courses like Economics, Computer Science and Psychology. Quite simply you should have taken it again last Summer. The only options you have is to go to a university that doesnt have that requirement or take a gap year and hope you can achieve an A but you might end up in the same position next year. As far as I can see your best options would be Keele, Kent, Royal Holloway or Swansea. You could try Cardiff or Lancaster but I doubt they would accept you
Original post by S1M001
Hello,

Thanks.

Hi there!

I just wanted to let you know that we have clearing vacancies over here at Keele for management. You can find out more about the course that Keele has to offer and links to clearing applications and contacts on this page - https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020entry/management/

If you have any questions at all then please don’t hesitate to ask! :smile:
Original post by S1M001
Yes I understand why they’ve put it so high but I know I would able to succeed on this course. I’ve been studying business since GCSE and enjoy it a lot however I never really cared for education at the time.

I was actually meant to re sit my maths gcse this year however it got cancelled and my sixth form won’t be able to provide me with a predicted grade.

Would you think taking a gap year and retaking maths is a better idea?

it’s up to you i guess. if you don’t want to settle for a uni with a lower requirement then your only option really is to reapply again and see if you can up your maths grade :smile:

What about when a grade 6 (B) is required but you have a grade 5 (C+) is there likely to be flexibility and a chance of getting an offer?
Original post by Ja78975-Junaid
What about when a grade 6 (B) is required but you have a grade 5 (C+) is there likely to be flexibility and a chance of getting an offer?

Generally there is no flexibility over GCSE Maths grades. If you dont have them you dont get in.
Original post by swanseajack1
Generally there is no flexibility over GCSE Maths grades. If you dont have them you dont get in.

Ok thanks
Reply 13

Only the university itself can answer for sure, but usually they are strict about minimum GCSE requirements.

Ask them.

It's pretty rare- it's not impossible, but usually they would have expected you to retake the GCSE. I would focus on courses where you meet the GCSE requirements in general.
It's pretty rare- it's not impossible, but usually they would have expected you to retake the GCSE. I would focus on courses where you meet the GCSE requirements in general.

got it, thank you!
Reply 16
Did you have any luck getting into a uni with a higher maths requirement in the end?
Original post by teddier
Did you have any luck getting into a uni with a higher maths requirement in the end?

Don't know if your asking me but I did in the end as I got a grade 6 after getting a centered assessed grade as I couldn't take the exam due to covid.
Reply 18
Don't know if your asking me but I did in the end as I got a grade 6 after getting a centered assessed grade as I couldn't take the exam due to covid.

Oh no, I was asking ‘S1M001’ because I’m in a similar situation to them atm
Original post by teddier
Oh no, I was asking ‘S1M001’ because I’m in a similar situation to them atm

Oh ok hope everything goes well 👍

Latest

Trending

Trending