The Student Room Group

Welsh students will not get grades lower than their AS levels!

In response to the announcements from England and Scotland, the Welsh Minister for education has released a statement here:
https://media.service.gov.wales/news/statement-from-education-minister-kirsty-williams-a-level-students-in-wales-will-not-receive-lower-grade-than-their-as-level-grade

WJEC have also released a statement here:
https://qualificationswales.org/english/coronavirus---covid-19/qualifications-wales-statements/a-level-grades---qualifications-wales-statement/

A level grades for publication on 13 August

This Direction requires us to pay due regard to Welsh Government’s new policy that A level learners should not receive a grade outcome in a subject in Summer 2020 that is lower than their corresponding AS level grade. This rule is being introduced after the initial release of results by WJEC to schools and colleges. Therefore, learners receiving their A level grades tomorrow should look at the grade awarded to see if it is the same, higher or lower than their AS level grade in that subject.

If the grade is the same or higher, then no action is required.

If, however, the grade is lower it will be replaced with the same grade as that received for the AS level - revised grades will be issued by WJEC as soon as possible. If necessary, learners wishing to progress to Higher Education should contact their prospective university to advise them of the change. Universities will already be aware of the AS grades awarded as they will have been reported on the UCAS application form. Some learners may have taken AS units, but not made a request to ‘cash in’ for the AS level award. In these circumstances, WJEC will reissue the A level grade as though the AS had been cashed in.

We have contacted UCAS for this statement to be shared with admissions staff in HE.

Grounds for appeal

The Minister’s Direction also asks us to consider whether the grounds for appeal can be broadened for all A level, AS level and GCSE qualifications. We have already published guidance outlining the grounds for appeal and will now reconsider the grounds already cited. We expect to provide more information on appeals early next week.
Reply 1
2 of my children went down a grade between AS and A level in all of their A levels. Bet they wish they'd taken A levels under this scheme..

Correction: One of them stayed on the same grade for 1 subject.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Sounds a good idea to me at least it is pupils individual previous attainment under true exam conditions. Son would have been laughing five A's at AS!
Original post by Compost
2 of my children went down a grade between AS and A level in all of their A levels. Bet they wish they'd taken A levels under this scheme..

That's interesting. Anecdotally you probably see more people underperform in their ASes and look to re-sit some in Year 13, and they serve a certain shock factor as much as anything else.
Original post by Compost

Correction: One of them stayed on the same grade for 1 subject.

I did the same in England for one of my A-levels back in the day when we still did AS levels as part of A-levels.

But, realistically, I don't think they would actually want to be dealing with everything that has happened this year.

Original post by Scotney
Sounds a good idea to me at least it is pupils individual previous attainment under true exam conditions. Son would have been laughing five A's at AS!

I think it's better than what's being proposed by the English system at least!
Reply 5
Original post by Saracen's Fez
That's interesting. Anecdotally you probably see more people underperform in their ASes and look to re-sit some in Year 13, and they serve a certain shock factor as much as anything else.

One had meningitis in Y13 and missed a lot, the other just didn't ever care about school and did very little. My other 2 kids did the same/better at A level than AS.

..But students doing worse at A level is not uncommon. My kids only dropped a grade, I've seen drops of 2 or even 3 grades.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Saracen's Fez

Son did go down at A level too A*AAB
Yeah, I don't think going down after AS levels is uncommon BUT given the stress and disruption the current Y13 have faced, I don't think this is a ridiculously generous policy.
Reply 8
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I did the same in England for one of my A-levels back in the day when we still did AS levels as part of A-levels.

But, realistically, I don't think they would actually want to be dealing with everything that has happened this year.

Honestly, the youngest would have loved taking his A levels this year. - no lessons and no exams but some grades at the end.
Original post by Compost
Honestly, the youngest would have loved taking his A levels this year. - no lessons and no exams but some grades at the end.

Look, I know you don't mean it like this, but having seen the very real emotional distress my students have faced this year, I really don't think he would have.

But we're derailing the thread.

Quick Reply

Latest