The Student Room Group

mum committed fraud - prison sentence

my mum committed fraud when i was doing my a levels and it really messed with my head. it was 40 000 and it makes me very sad. she was a lawyer and went behind the family's back - it ended in divorce and a really messy family life in the future. i don't know who i can turn to for help because if i talk to a psychologist they just laugh at me
Original post by Anonymous
my mum committed fraud when i was doing my a levels and it really messed with my head. it was 40 000 and it makes me very sad. she was a lawyer and went behind the family's back - it ended in divorce and a really messy family life in the future. i don't know who i can turn to for help because if i talk to a psychologist they just laugh at me

im so sorry to hear about this. is there anything i can do to help ? :console:
can i ask how long she's in prison for?
if you wanna talk im here :console:

Psychologists are accredited professionals, why would they laugh at you?

Anyway, see a GP about your mental health issues. They are your first point of call to accessing services.

Just remember, none of this is your fault.
Reply 4

Are you going to be at a University in the autumn? If so, there will be a counselling service there.
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
Psychologists are accredited professionals, why would they laugh at you?

Anyway, see a GP about your mental health issues. They are your first point of call to accessing services.

Just remember, none of this is your fault.

the psychologists i've seen just laugh a lot for some reason... as if i'm telling jokes or something. then they tell me i was just showing off or something lol
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
can i ask how long she's in prison for?
if you wanna talk im here :console:

it was just a 1 year suspended sentence
Original post by Kerzen
Are you going to be at a University in the autumn? If so, there will be a counselling service there.

no i'm not but thanks for help
Reply 6
no i think i need to talk to professionals about this more before i head off to uni or anything. thanks

I really dont see a pyschologist laughing at you.
What was her sentence?
Was she struck off?

You can talk to

0. Childline 0800 1111
1. Samaritans 116 123
2. https://kooth.com/ Online counselling
3. Papyrus HOPElineUK: 0800 068 41 41
Papyrus-uk.org
Support for those dealing with suicide, depression or emotional distress particularly teenagers and young adults.
Reply 8
no i think i need to talk to professionals about this more before i head off to uni or anything. thanks

Are you planning to go to University? I just think it would help you. When did you sit your A Levels?
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
Are you planning to go to University? I just think it would help you. When did you sit your A Levels?

maybe if things with family get better,,, i sat them a few years ago
Reply 10
maybe if things with family get better,,, i sat them a few years ago

I'm wondering whether things would improve if you went to University this year. You may be able to find a good course in Clearing.

One of the reasons for this suggestion is that you would have access to a lot of support at the University.

Re the psychologist whom you mentioned, how did your referral take place?
Original post by Kerzen
I'm wondering whether things would improve if you went to University this year. You may be able to find a good course in Clearing.

One of the reasons for this suggestion is that you would have access to a lot of support at the University.

Re the psychologist whom you mentioned, how did your referral take place?

it was due to mental health, through nhs
Reply 12
it was due to mental health, through nhs

I am at a loss to know why this psychologist would laugh at you, though. That's not appropriate.

By the way, are you sure that your mother's sentence was 12 months suspended? I wouldn't have said that this was typical of sentencing for cases where a fraud has amounted to £40,000 and the offence was committed by a solicitor.

What did the SRA say?
Original post by Kerzen
I am at a loss to know why this psychologist would laugh at you, though. That's not appropriate.

By the way, are you sure that your mother's sentence was 12 months suspended? I wouldn't have said that this was typical of sentencing for cases where a fraud has amounted to £40,000 and the offence was committed by a solicitor.

What did the SRA say?

they didn't do much; there were mitigating circumstances-she was given lowest possible sentence. i'm not sure if struck off i haven't asked
Reply 14
A psychologist would not laugh at you. The things that are happening to your family are serious.

So if you think talking to a psychologist would help and can you get one, don't hesitate to.
Reply 15
they didn't do much; there were mitigating circumstances-she was given lowest possible sentence. i'm not sure if struck off i haven't asked

your mum was extremely lucky.

Most people would have spent several years in prison for that amount of fraud...
That is so sad. Do you have anyone in your family that you could speak to? Ask your GP to refer you to a counsellor if you need help. Are you able to speak to your mum? The helplines that are suggested above might help you as a starting point.

Awe bless, for sure you'd get some sort of mitigating circumstance, that sounds very difficult and stressful for anyone to handle. It's good you're so open and willing to get help x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending