The Student Room Group

Does our generation have a future?

With everything going on in the world do you think people our age have a fair shot at life? With the confirmation of the UK recession today, the second recession in my life (i'm 18), I'm feeling a little hopeless for our future. Do you think it's even worth going to university if there may not be jobs for us at the end of it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope we are all ****ed. :rolleyes:

Of course there will be a future. **** happens, but it doesn't mean that it's gonna be **** forever. Catastrophising will get you no where.
Original post by hope1279
With everything going on in the world do you think people our age have a fair shot at life? With the confirmation of the UK recession today, the second recession in my life (i'm 18), I'm feeling a little hopeless for our future. Do you think it's even worth going to university if there may not be jobs for us at the end of it?

I mean, you are pretty sheltered once you're at university. Maintenence loan, no council tax etc. A bit like a 3+ years break before you enter the real world I suppose.

You're still young, why are you feeling so helpless? Just get on with things and adapt.
hey!

of course there’s a future for us! just try to stay positive and realise that we are all in the same boat. the job market is under a lot of pressure right now but as things start to develop back to some form of normality, businesses will need staff to join and help boost their productivity and income due to the amount of money lost during this time.

don’t let this stop you from pursuing what you want to do. if you want to go to uni - go!

there’s definitely a future for you. i promise :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
I mean, you are pretty sheltered once you're at university. Maintenence loan, no council tax etc. A bit like a 3+ years break before you enter the real world I suppose.

You're still young, why are you feeling so helpless? Just get on with things and adapt.

I'm not sure. I guess because with the 2008 crash it took like 5 years to recover and this ones going to be so much worse. Maybe 3 years isn't going to be long enough for jobs to return to the pre covid level. I'm worried at the end of uni it's going to be harder to get a job I like and that it might all be for nothing
I'm not sure. I guess because with the 2008 crash it took like 5 years to recover and this ones going to be so much worse. Maybe 3 years isn't going to be long enough for jobs to return to the pre covid level. I'm worried at the end of uni it's going to be harder to get a job I like and that it might all be for nothing

It's always been hard, and it's a constant worry on everybody's mind, but it's just a matter of adapting and waiting for the right opportunity to come about.

That's what the human race does - adapt to situations.
Reply 6
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
hey!

of course there’s a future for us! just try to stay positive and realise that we are all in the same boat. the job market is under a lot of pressure right now but as things start to develop back to some form of normality, businesses will need staff to join and help boost their productivity and income due to the amount of money lost during this time.

don’t let this stop you from pursuing what you want to do. if you want to go to uni - go!

there’s definitely a future for you. i promise :smile:

Yeah you're right. I just feel like with more people deferring uni is it worth going this year? I really want to go but I know it's not going to be the university experience I'd imagined
Yeah you're right. I just feel like with more people deferring uni is it worth going this year? I really want to go but I know it's not going to be the university experience I'd imagined

I’m applying for 2021 entry so I’m feeling the same! It’s worth a shot though! I’m going to apply and see how it goes. And it may not be the experience you imagined, but who’s to say it still won’t be one of the best experiences of your life? You never know unless you try :smile:

IMO that was only the way it was because the public **** the bed and voted in austerity. If the Gov had done what it looks like it's going to do now, and keep the economy as fluid as possible, we'll probably recover faster.
Depends on the sector. Travel and tourism has been hit the hardest. If you want to get into hospitality, well...

On the other hand, technology is still in high demand. As of now, there are 5,688 software engineering job listings in London (https://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=software+engineer&l=London%2C+Greater+London) and 904 of them in Manchester (https://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=software+engineer&l=Manchester%2C+Greater+Manchester)
This thread makes me realise why older people think young people like us have never suffered and are ignorant. There are people who have gone through WW2 having nearly been gassed, countless recessions, murder and actual struggle.
Original post by MalcolmX
Depends on the sector. Travel and tourism has been hit the hardest. If you want to get into hospitality, well...

On the other hand, technology is still in high demand. As of now, there are 5,688 software engineering job listings in London (https://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=software+engineer&l=London%2C+Greater+London) and 904 of them in Manchester (https://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=software+engineer&l=Manchester%2C+Greater+Manchester)

There’s me sitting applying for events management and tourism courses :/

Lol, the industry will rise again. And hopefully I’ll be graduated and one of those people helping to boost the sector once more :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by berries5
This thread makes me realise why older people think young people like us have never suffered and are ignorant. Young people have no struggle and its about time you stop being so self absorbed and delusional. There are people who have gone through WW2 having nearly been gassed, countless recessions, murder and actual struggle. Get a damn grip this is so embarrassing

thanks for your input have a nice day x
This thread makes me realise why older people think young people like us have never suffered and are ignorant. Young people have no struggle and its about time you stop being so self absorbed and delusional. There are people who have gone through WW2 having nearly been gassed, countless recessions, murder and actual struggle. Get a damn grip this is so embarrassing

It’s not okay to undermine people’s feelings like this. We are all living in extremely uncertain times and people handle things differently. TSR is a place to ask questions and be given advice. If you aren’t going to be nice, then why comment?

Many people (including myself) have mental health problems which mean times like this are extremely worrying for us. You telling people to “get a grip” isn’t going to help.

Yes, there have been worse times in history but that’s doesn’t mean that this person should be made to feel like an “embarrassment”.

Please be kind to others in these uncertain times :smile:
Reply 14
I'm sorry I forgot everybody in 2020 have mental health issues.

doesn't hurt to be nice x
I'm sorry I forgot everybody in 2020 has mental health issues.

Mental health is a serious topic and yes, lots of people do suffer from various forms of it. What exactly is your issue with it? I for one am an anxiety sufferer, that doesn’t make me any less of a person than you.
Mental health is a serious topic and yes, lots of people do suffer from various forms of it. What exactly is your issue with it? I for one am an anxiety sufferer, that doesn’t make me any less of a person than you.

Do you not think people who lived through WW2 have genuine issues compared to our current generations issues of "feeling depressed cos feeling insecure about my body when i compare it to insta models?
Do you not think people who lived through WW2 have genuine issues compared to our current generations issues of "feeling depressed cos feeling insecure about my body when i compare it to insta models?

Have I said that? No.

If you read my first response to you, I clearly stated that there have been worse times in history.

All I’m saying is that you can’t undermine people’s feelings. You cannot tell them to “get a grip” because WW2 soldiers had it worse. There’s literally no correlation.

You’re being rude and it’s extremely unnecessary.
Have I said that? No.

If you read my first response to you, I clearly stated that there have been worse times in history.

All I’m saying is that you can’t undermine people’s feelings. You cannot tell them to “get a grip” because WW2 soldiers had it worse. There’s literally no correlation.

You’re being rude and it’s extremely unnecessary.

Because OPs feelings are unrealistic and ignorant. Our generation has never had to suffer and our only concern is feeling worried about recession which I can assure you will not affect OP one bit.
Because OPs feelings are unrealistic and ignorant. Our generation has never had to suffer and our only concern is feeling worried about recession which I can assure you will not affect OP one bit.

No. OP’s feelings are valid and respected. Many of us have never lived through a worldwide pandemic, it’s extremely uncertain times. People are allowed to feel worry and stress as we are all just waiting to see how things turn out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending