The Student Room Group

Would this count as a major driving fault?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheDE
No fault. Amber light means prepare to stop, as well as stop, the ideal being you must prepare to stop if the distance between yourself and the lights make it safe to do so, but if it is not safe to suddenly you can also proceed.

See Highway Code 175
“175

You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.”

Oh really?? I knew that I could go through ambers but i just assumed that as a learner it shouldn’t really be happening...
Reply 41
Original post by Khushi.S
Idk how this happened but I somehow put the car into neutral instead of second gear on the roundabout and it revved so hard but was still rolling and I realised what was the problem without the car slowing down too much, would this be a serious?

Depends if it took you to a long time to correct, if you were rolling backwards towards a vehicle behind you. If none of these things then driver fault for move off control.
Reply 42
Ah okay, I was about to slam the brakes (to the point where it basically would have been an emergency stop) but decided not to at the final moment, I just slowed down slightly but not enough to disturb anyone (I think)

Which is 100% the correct way to respond. Definitely don’t want to be doing an emergency stop at any time unless directed or avoiding a collision.
Original post by TheDE
Depends if it took you to a long time to correct, if you were rolling backwards towards a vehicle behind you. If none of these things then driver fault for move off control.

No nothing in terms of rolling back, the speed was a little slow though.
I seem to have made mistakes such as stalling, crossing ambers, leaving cars in neutral, almost forgetting to put car into first on a hill start which I never used to do but now have made literally all of them in the days leading up to my test...
Reply 44
Oh really?? I knew that I could go through ambers but i just assumed that as a learner it shouldn’t really be happening...

It’s unavoidable, you may go through 10 sets of lights in a test and some may turn amber when close. Being rear ended is the only collision we examiners cannot avoid so we definitely don’t want to cause it. That being said, don’t try and accelerate like some learners feel is appropriate, that is a serious fault.
Reply 45
No nothing in terms of rolling back, the speed was a little slow though.
I seem to have made mistakes such as stalling, crossing ambers, leaving cars in neutral, almost forgetting to put car into first on a hill start which I never used to do but now have made literally all of them in the days leading up to my test...

First time I ever stalled was in the car park at the start of my driving test 😂 it happens.
Original post by TheDE
First time I ever stalled was in the car park at the start of my driving test 😂 it happens.

Honestly it’s funny but so traumatising at the same time 😂😂 you’re there like ‘I didn’t think I was capable of making that mistake lmao’
Reply 47
Honestly it’s funny but so traumatising at the same time 😂😂 you’re there like ‘I didn’t think I was capable of making that mistake lmao’

Honestly at the time I didn’t even know what had happened!
Original post by TheDE
Honestly at the time I didn’t even know what had happened!

Me all of this week, seem to be making 2 new mistakes each time I drive lol
Original post by TheDE
Examiner has definitely over complicated it... like I say that fault is only for going too fast for the limit or conditions, going too fast approaching a junction is a different fault, junctions approach speed.

Ever considered maybe you’re wrong and he was right?
Reply 50
Original post by Bumble18
Ever considered maybe you’re wrong and he was right?

Nope, because use of speed is a very simple fault, it would only ever be used under the 2 conditions of you are either speeding or driving too fast for the road conditions (Weather, how busy, how wide). This only changes if the faults are connected, for instance if you drove along at 35 in a 30 for an entire road, you’d get use of speed. If you then pulled up to a junction too fast, you would still only have use of speed because then it would be said you were travelling too fast to begin with and that affected your response to the junction, ie you had a longer distance to brake/wasn’t able to slow down in time. If you aren’t driving too fast anyway, then approached the junction too quickly then that should only be marked as junctions: approach speed. If you weren’t travelling too fast, for instance you stalled in 2nd which is about 5mph, it is control gears for having the incorrect gear selected.

It is quite amazing however to me how many people have seemingly random faults marked for what should be something quite obvious, and I would encourage you to look at your DL25 or DTR to see if anything else is marked on there which would make more sense to the situation.
Okay so I went on another (penultimate) practice drive and omg it was not that good, I think I made one serious driving fault and then one dangerous fault and then a couple of driving faults, am I right in assuming the following faults are indeed faults:

So I had to turn night on an A road but was in the left lane and so in an attempt to move into the right, I moved over but slowly but this was because I had just turned into this A road so naturally was gonna take time to speed up (just before the lane change I was at like 23 mph on a 40mph road) and then had to change lanes again further into the right and I did this one so fast and barely any observations and even managed to go across the hatched markings- I'm guessing this would be a serious fault for speed when I was changing from left to middle and then a dangerous fault for the second lane change from middle to right?

The minors (in my opinion were as follows):

I had to turn right from the main road into the side road and a car pulled out from that side road (to turn left btw) despite the fact I had priority so obviously I had to stop and the car then reversed back into the side road and I then continued, I think this would be a driving fault for obstruction? or is this a more serious fault?
I thought a car that was coming towards me was pulling up on the right in a residential area (when what they were doing is winding around the parked cars) and so I kept on going and I slowed down a little quickly (but safely still) when I realised that it hadn't actually stopped. a minor for either judgement or awareness or even brakes?
I hesitated on a roundabout on multiple occasions so probably would have gotten like 5 minors for this (so ultimately a serious fault)
Another issue with giving way- a car was coming towards me and I misjudged where to stop so the car gave way to me instead, since I didn't actually stop I didn't signal so would this be a minor for both signalling and judgement?
There were most probably like another 2-3 minors I think so all together I think I made like 10-14 driving faults and then one serious and one dangerous fault?

Idk I did try and drive safely today but misread the satnav directions and turned right WAY earlier than I needed to and because I panicked that I'd gone the wrong way, I made these two mistakes. My dad said the lane change may have been considered a minor but I disagree and I realise that had I just continued in the middle lane, I would have not made that dangerous fault, I guess this is a lesson in being more aware of the satnav (but tbf my voice stuff on the satnav doesn't work that well so I had to basically look at the map which is also really bad lmao whilst focusing on the road)

On the test, do they have their own satnav or do I need to use my car one? The one in my car is pretty bad because the voice directions are sometimes working and then randomly switch off halfway through and you don't even realise when
Okay so I went on another (penultimate) practice drive and omg it was not that good, I think I made one serious driving fault and then one dangerous fault and then a couple of driving faults, am I right in assuming the following faults are indeed faults:

So I had to turn night on an A road but was in the left lane and so in an attempt to move into the right, I moved over but slowly but this was because I had just turned into this A road so naturally was gonna take time to speed up (just before the lane change I was at like 23 mph on a 40mph road) and then had to change lanes again further into the right and I did this one so fast and barely any observations and even managed to go across the hatched markings- I'm guessing this would be a serious fault for speed when I was changing from left to middle and then a dangerous fault for the second lane change from middle to right?

I had to turn right from the main road into the side road and a car pulled out from that side road (to turn left btw) despite the fact I had priority so obviously I had to stop and the car then reversed back into the side road and I then continued, I think this would be a driving fault for obstruction? or is this a more serious fault?

I thought a car that was coming towards me was pulling up on the right in a residential area (when what they were doing is winding around the parked cars) and so I kept on going and I slowed down a little quickly when I realised that it hadn't actually stopped. a minor for either judgement or awareness or even brakes?

I hesitated on a roundabout on multiple occasions so probably would have gotten like 5 minors for this

Another issue with giving way- a car was coming towards me and I misjudged where to stop so the car gave way to me instead, since I didn't actually stop I didn't signal so would this be a minor for both signalling and judgement?

There were most probably like another 2-3 minors I think so all together I think I made like 10-14 driving faults and then one serious and one dangerous fault?

Idk I did try and drive safely today but misread the satnav directions and turned right WAY earlier than I needed to and because I panicked that I'd gone the wrong way, I made these two mistakes. My dad said the lane change may have been considered a minor but I disagree and I realise that had I just continued in the middle lane, I would have not made that dangerous fault, I guess this is a lesson in being more aware of the satnav (but tbf my voice stuff on the satnav doesn't work that well so I had to basically look at the map which is also really bad lmao whilst focusing on the road)

On the test, do they have their own satnav or do I need to use my car one? The one in my car is pretty bad because the voice directions are sometimes working and then randomly switch off halfway through and you don't even realise when
To add another fault- since it was raining pretty hard, there were puddles collected in some roads and at one point I was more focused on the mirrors just to check and didn't slow down for these puddles (was probably doing like 32mph) and so the water kind of splashed onto the side of the road... I've read people being failed for this so would this be a serious fault?
I feel like I am close to passing the test, but doing this dangerous fault today was kind of bad for my confidence, I think its a lesson that you don't have to follow the sat nav perfectly, I panicked so bad and just changed the lanes without even thinking even though I didn't even need to turn right
Reply 55

If you had just entered the road then the speed would be either not worthy or a driver fault, depending on whether there were vehicles behind. It would have to be for a considerable distance or have a considerable impact on other road users to become serious. The hatched markings would be serious, the HC states you can only enter them if it is safe and necessary, and the sounds of it you didn’t check if it was safe and it probably wasn’t necessary- dangerous faults are only for when a near collision or dangerous incident happened, entering cross hatchings shouldn’t inherently be dangerous.

I don’t quite understand why you would have had to stop if they were turning left out and you right in? Was there an obstruction? If your road position blocked them from emerging forcing them to reverse back into the road then this is a serious fault position turning right.

I thought a car that was coming towards me was pulling up on the right in a residential area (when what they were doing is winding around the parked cars) and so I kept on going and I slowed down a little quickly when I realised that it hadn't actually stopped. a minor for either judgement or awareness or even brakes?

The meeting situation caused the use of brakes so that fault takes priority, if you impeded their progress in some way then judgement meeting fault at whatever severity you impeded it. If there was no effect on them then the meeting fault goes, there would still be a driver fault for the late use of brakes, control brakes.

I hesitated on a roundabout on multiple occasions so probably would have gotten like 5 minors for this

How long for? Generally with undue hesitation we need either a very pronounced wait or a car waiting behind for it to become a driver fault. Undue hesitation generally 2/3 driver faults 3rd/4th is serious habitual depending on severity of driver faults.

Whose right of way was it in the first place? This sounds like no fault to me as one of you would have had to stop anyway. No signal required and we don’t mark one fault twice.

You use our satnav, there’s a blue line on the screen you can follow which helps with what turn to take.

I replied in the quote to make it easier. Splashing pavement only serious if you splash pedestrians.
TheDE
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TheDE
I replied in the quote to make it easier. Splashing pavement only serious if you splash pedestrians.
TheDE

Okay, so that would probably mean one serious fault then
I don’t understand either with me turning right and them them turning left. I was positioned just before the middle line and was gonna turn in and I think the car emerging to turn left was maybe too wide or something or just didn’t expected me to be there
I know I was positioned in the right place, maybe slightly off but I wasn’t really obstructing, idk why this car pulled out and then stopped and then reversed to give way to me??
My dad was like it’s your fault that the car could not turn left but I was literally in the other lane
I’m not really sure what happened, I guess it’s a tight junction but still there’s space for two cars to come and go on both the side road and the road I had to turn into and my dad then said that if a car is turning left and I’m turning right then I should stop like 5-10m behind the middle line to give way to them but I don’t see why I need to??
Although thinking about it, I have seen people stop a little earlier than the reference points i use so perhaps it’s just a weird road where there isn’t enough space to do anything if there is another car present
(edited 3 years ago)
There was cars parked on the left so the car approaching had priority but I just didn’t manage to stop in time so they stopped (not behind any cars) to give way to me, since this caused the other road user to alter what they were doing, it’ll probably be a driving fault for judgment? I didn’t put anyone in danger or anything as the car approaching was slow but I can see why this would also be considered a serious fault
Reply 58
Okay, so that would probably mean one serious fault then
I don’t understand either with me turning right and them them turning left. I was positioned just before the middle line and was gonna turn in and I think the car emerging to turn left was maybe too wide or something or just didn’t expected me to be there
I know I was positioned in the right place, maybe slightly off but I wasn’t really obstructing, idk why this car pulled out and then stopped and then reversed to give way to me??
My dad was like it’s your fault that the car could not turn left but I was literally in the other lane
I’m not really sure what happened, I guess it’s a tight junction but still there’s space for two cars to come and go on both the side road and the road I had to turn into and my dad then said that if a car is turning left and I’m turning right then I should stop like 5-10m behind the middle line to give way to them but I don’t see why I need to??
Although thinking about it, I have seen people stop a little earlier than the reference points i use so perhaps it’s just a weird road where there isn’t enough space to do anything if there is another car present

I think that it depends in this case on who was there first, if they were already emerging when you arrived then I would have held back, but it’s still more of a them problem than a you problem as they are the ones that have made insufficient observations before emerging.
Reply 59
There was cars parked on the left so the car approaching had priority but I just didn’t manage to stop in time so they stopped (not behind any cars) to give way to me, since this caused the other road user to alter what they were doing, it’ll probably be a driving fault for judgment? I didn’t put anyone in danger or anything as the car approaching was slow but I can see why this would also be considered a serious fault

Yep just a driving fault, you stopping to let them go would have delayed you, them stopping would have delayed them, so it’s an equal loss to someome either way. The fault would just be it being their right of way but
Definitely not serious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending