The Student Room Group

Can I change my university course through clearing?

Hey everyone,

I currently hold a place for doing a Childrens Nursing degree. However, I am not 100% certain on it like I was. Do I await for results day? This is because I'd like to switch to a different course within the same uni but unsure if I can until I receive my grades.

Any help is appreciated, very nervous and feeling sorta trapped.
Original post by Foskr4
Hey everyone,

I currently hold a place for doing a Childrens Nursing degree. However, I am not 100% certain on it like I was. Do I await for results day? This is because I'd like to switch to a different course within the same uni but unsure if I can until I receive my grades.

Any help is appreciated, very nervous and feeling sorta trapped.

I'd be telling them that you want to swap now if its the same university you want to be that, there's likely a waiting list for nursing so someone else would appreciate the place.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I'd be telling them that you want to swap now if its the same university you want to be that, there's likely a waiting list for nursing so someone else would appreciate the place.

Very true i’m just not 100% sure whether I want to swap course yet as I need to wait til results day to know if i can or not? Eek - Thank you tho x
Original post by Foskr4
Very true i’m just not 100% sure whether I want to swap course yet as I need to wait til results day to know if i can or not? Eek - Thank you tho x

Do you mean you'd need to wait until results day to know if you have the grades for the other course?

It may still be worth discussing your situation with the uni now- what's the course you would like to switch to?
Original post by Foskr4

you can wait until results day, mind if I ask why you're considering swapping and what you're thinking of swapping to? I dropped out of a mental health nursing degree after 6 months because it wasn't right for me but I know I wouldn't have known that without trying, although I had no doubts before I started the course.
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Do you mean you'd need to wait until results day to know if you have the grades for the other course?

It may still be worth discussing your situation with the uni now- what's the course you would like to switch to?

Basically, If I wasn't to do nursing, I'm interested in switching to a marketing degree at the same university. However, I'm unsure if I can meet the entry requirements & as I need an A in business however for nursing I only would need a B. I'm just feeling overall lost university wise :/
Reply 6
you can wait until results day, mind if I ask why you're considering swapping and what you're thinking of swapping to? I dropped out of a mental health nursing degree after 6 months because it wasn't right for me but I know I wouldn't have known that without trying, although I had no doubts before I started the course.

That's interesting to know & I'm interested in switching to a marketing degree. Id ideally like to give Nursing a go as I was quite set on the idea etc and future plans. However, now I'm having doubts suddenly and if I was to apply for another course next year after trying nursing, it would be harder to get into and id have to take a year out. X
Original post by Foskr4
That's interesting to know & I'm interested in switching to a marketing degree. Id ideally like to give Nursing a go as I was quite set on the idea etc and future plans. However, now I'm having doubts suddenly and if I was to apply for another course next year after trying nursing, it would be harder to get into and id have to take a year out. X

marketing degrees aren't too hard to get into as far as I'm aware, you need to see if you can figure out exactly why you're having the doubts if you can.
Reply 8
marketing degrees aren't too hard to get into as far as I'm aware, you need to see if you can figure out exactly why you're having the doubts if you can.

Thank you, Its just the university I'm still wanting to go to is Russell group and not really wanting to go anywhere else, therefore I'm ever so worried about getting in through clearing because of my results etc. X
Original post by Foskr4
Thank you, Its just the university I'm still wanting to go to is Russell group and not really wanting to go anywhere else, therefore I'm ever so worried about getting in through clearing because of my results etc. X

the Russell group is more a marketing thing really, but yes you can hang on until you get your results to make a decision.
Original post by Foskr4

Getting into a RG uni won't matter for nursing but if you do want to switch to a different course after you get your results, it should be possible in Clearing. There will be lots of people around on TSR on results day to ask for help if you need it
Original post by Foskr4
Basically, If I wasn't to do nursing, I'm interested in switching to a marketing degree at the same university. However, I'm unsure if I can meet the entry requirements & as I need an A in business however for nursing I only would need a B. I'm just feeling overall lost university wise :/

If you're feeling lost then I think it's important to think about why you feel lost.

Do you feel sure about marketing as a choice, and it's just your grades you are worried about? Or are you unsure about both courses?
Reply 12
Gosh guys it’s the night before results - Im still puzzled but my heart is saying to go to marketing - I’ll give my uni a ring tomorrow based on my results and i’ll try switch my course :/ - Thanks for the help x
Original post by Foskr4
Gosh guys it’s the night before results - Im still puzzled but my heart is saying to go to marketing - I’ll give my uni a ring tomorrow based on my results and i’ll try switch my course :/ - Thanks for the help x

Switching your course at your firm choice does NOT use clearing. If you ring up and ask about applying for marketing through clearing then that will confuse and delay things.

When you ring open your conversation with “I have [uni] as my firm for children’s nursing and want to change to marketing”.
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
Switching your course at your firm choice does NOT use clearing. If you ring up and ask about applying for marketing through clearing then that will confuse and delay things.

When you ring open your conversation with “I have [uni] as my firm for children’s nursing and want to change to marketing”.

ah okay thank you! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending