The Student Room Group

When to start GCSE revision

I'm starting Y11 in 3 weeks and have my mocks in November time. Currently I'm working at a 7/8 In the sciences and would really like to try and get this to a steady 8/9. When would be a good time to start revising (including mock revision)?

Scroll to see replies

Now. If you want those high grades you should always be revising what you can and cannot do confidently
Reply 2
Original post by Joseph Green
Now. If you want those high grades you should always be revising what you can and cannot do confidently

thanks for the reply, by this do you mean going over stuff and then near GCSEs really ramp it up, or just keep it at a steady rate all year?
Original post by Izzmia
thanks for the reply, by this do you mean going over stuff and then near GCSEs really ramp it up, or just keep it at a steady rate all year?

Steady rate all year. I’m just heading into Year 10 and I’ve already begun to write notes of my own on GCSE content I learnt myself. You’ll find it so much easier to cope when you get to your exams and mocks. Good luck!
Reply 4
I took the piss in Year 10 but Year 11 is the year when you should really start to knuckle down, revise and go to period 6s if your school does them.
For mocks, especially the sciences use the remainder of this summer break holiday to work in understanding your concepts.

Chemistry/Physics/Biology is just memorising, using cue cards (with question and answer at the back of each card).

Then do like a few past papers sat in exam conditions with the topics which will be in the mock exam.

Honestly, if i were you, i would focus on this and on english language and on your chosen foreign language for your revision.

You have plenty of time.

When i did my gcses, for the real exams,i started revising from January and intense revision till 2 nights before the exam.

Also,keep your phone away from you.

It is distraction and you will have a chance to use the phone after your exams.

Your future lies ahead of you!

😃
Reply 6
Original post by Anisha23456789
For mocks, especially the sciences use the remainder of this summer break holiday to work in understanding your concepts.

Chemistry/Physics/Biology is just memorising, using cue cards (with question and answer at the back of each card).

Then do like a few past papers sat in exam conditions with the topics which will be in the mock exam.

Honestly, if i were you, i would focus on this and on english language and on your chosen foreign language for your revision.

You have plenty of time.

When i did my gcses, for the real exams,i started revising from January and intense revision till 2 nights before the exam.

Also,keep your phone away from you.

It is distraction and you will have a chance to use the phone after your exams.

Your future lies ahead of you!

😃

thank you for replying! just wondering on the two nights before the exam, was there a reason for this? also how many nights a week did you revise from January?
Reply 7
Original post by zaynabhussain
I was quite good w making my revision resources and made for sciences, engineering, half of geography content (paper 2 +3) and some englishpoems.
I just recapped/ read through the flashcards the day/night before (learnt really badly and i wish i spent longer leaning them) and came out with an average of 7. I would say if you make resources for your mocks, and aim to get the full resources done in holidays, learning resources fully would deffos get u at least an 8.

thankyou for the reply! when did you start intensely revising for your gases and how much. Also how much did you revise when you weren't intensely revising?
Reply 8
Original post by mongee23
I took the piss in Year 10 but Year 11 is the year when you should really start to knuckle down, revise and go to period 6s if your school does them.

thanks for the reply! I also took the piss more than I should've & now hoping I don't come to regret it
Reply 9
Original post by sakura_23
Steady rate all year. I’m just heading into Year 10 and I’ve already begun to write notes of my own on GCSE content I learnt myself. You’ll find it so much easier to cope when you get to your exams and mocks. Good luck!

thank you!
Original post by Izzmia
thank you for replying! just wondering on the two nights before the exam, was there a reason for this? also how many nights a week did you revise from January?

2 nights before in the sense that on the night before the exam,you should not do any last minute revision, just going through your own notes, flashcards.

Also, on the night before the exam, dont use your phone at all and limit interactions with anyone in your household.

Gcses are an one lifetime chance to progress forward to A Levels.

It is those valuable moments and time that you will miss in the future.

Time is precious. Dont lose any single moemnt of revision now and just start it.

Just chill and relax from time to time!

Ask for any help from teachers, parents and on tsr if your stuck in something ASAP.
For the Sciences, this is how I got 8's and a 7 in Biology.

For English Language , I received a 6 and in my German GCSE i recieved a 7.
Original post by Izzmia
I'm starting Y11 in 3 weeks and have my mocks in November time. Currently I'm working at a 7/8 In the sciences and would really like to try and get this to a steady 8/9. When would be a good time to start revising (including mock revision)?

Yeah starting nows a good idea, i didnt really get much time to revise bc of drama and art coursework but heres what i can advise doing:
-Checking the Biology spec/past paper mark schemes, you have to be VERY specific with your answers
-Use seneca for the sciences and mymaths for maths
-English, i just used knowledge organisers for poetry since im pretty good at improvising points for the set texts
-History, made mindmaps for each era specifying changes in power (Power and Monarchy) + key names/events and dates
-RS, you can literally just waffle as long as you remember key teachings and parables
Original post by REDDINGZ
Yeah starting nows a good idea, i didnt really get much time to revise bc of drama and art coursework but heres what i can advise doing:
-Checking the Biology spec/past paper mark schemes, you have to be VERY specific with your answers
-Use seneca for the sciences and mymaths for maths
-English, i just used knowledge organisers for poetry since im pretty good at improvising points for the set texts
-History, made mindmaps for each era specifying changes in power (Power and Monarchy) + key names/events and dates
-RS, you can literally just waffle as long as you remember key teachings and parables

Yeah same,except I just used Tes for English Literature,thr paid grade 8-9 answers and just learnt them all and used the cgp guide for additonal pointers.
Try to revise everyday. Perhaps start now but don’t spend all day and everyday revising because otherwise you’ll burn out by the time exams arrive. Act like your mocks are the real gcses and revise in the way you’d revise for them. When you think you’ll do something tomorrow do it today and that’ll allow you to keep on top of everything. Every end of topic test you get, revise for and you’ll see yourself improving. It depends what grades your at atm. Revise from September for your mocks
What are your current grades for all the subjects?
Original post by Izzmia

Hey @Izzmia!

I did my GCSEs back on the ABC system, however I got A*s in biology, chemistry and physics

I started my revision for mocks around October, and for the real GCSEs around February time!

My favourite technique was to use flashcards to record key information and rewrite the content until I knew it!
I also asked other people to test me on them :smile:
I also found YouTube videos - freesciencelessons was really helpful!

Good luck with your GCSEs!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Original post by Anisha23456789
Yeah same,except I just used Tes for English Literature,thr paid grade 8-9 answers and just learnt them all and used the cgp guide for additonal pointers.

Oh yeah, i forgot about tes, they really helped me out too
Start now so you can have time to pace your revision to your speed instead of rushing and absorbing no info.

Have structure is what I would say for example
1.Teacher teaches you the lesson
2.Go to your cgp textbook review and understand the topic you've learnt in greater detail.
3.make flashcards on the key concepts as exam style questions and also make them on any piece your shaky on.
4.Do your practice questions,. You can find them online or in a workbook.
5. Review of your flash cards daily,weekly and biweekly increasing the time depending on your confidence and understanding in the questions.Always put YOUR 100% when answering like it's your real exam.
6.PRINT out the AQA or primrose kitten syllabus and tick of that topic from the list of topics that could come up in the exam.
7.Revise the whole topic again in 2 months time.
8. Stay strong take breaths, nobody's stupid just unwilling to learn from their mistakes.

English- audipoi podcasts.
Stacey rest YouTube channel
Bio- free science lessons
Cgp textbooks
Chem -
free science lessons
Cgp textbooks
Physics- Collins workbook
A video called physics GCSE in 2 hours
Math- .7-9 workbook
More workbooks
Spanish- Cgp textbook
Spanish Netflix/TV shows
Duolingo/ memrise

I have a GCSE revision channel where I will discuss revision for each subject.Subscribe and I can make a video on any revision help you need.I got mostly 9's and 8's for my predicted grades.

The channel is called Blossom Study the title of the video of mine that might help is called
How to revise GCSE science biology chemistry physics.How I got 9's
(edited 3 years ago)
Start revising now, start slow and steady. Find a PLC sheet for the subjects online and identify weak topics and strong topics so you know what needs more focus. Complete questions on strong topics to make sure you’re still strong and obviously revisit weak topics. Free science lessons and loads of exam questions are readily available online for science, consider using flash cards as well for learning all the content - exam practice is the most crucial for getting top grades. I’d suggest little and often - for example, revise monday - cell division for biology, caluclations for physics, Tuesday - ecology for bio, structure and bonding for chemistry, Wednesday - waves for physics and energy changes for chem etc etc . By the end of the week, you would’ve revised each subject at least twice and built on weak areas for all 3, and doing this throughout the year then intensifying revision after Christmas will work wonders

Quick Reply

Latest