The Student Room Group

I got EED, should I redo the year?

I don’t know what to do, I haven’t been accepted anywhere and I feel like I really should redo year 13 because these grades may impact job opportunities once I get my degree. I was doing a lot better at school so I don’t understand how I received such poor grades for some of them.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_skies124
I don’t know what to do, I haven’t been accepted anywhere and I feel like I really should redo year 13 because these grades may impact job opportunities once I get my degree. I was doing a lot better at school so I don’t understand how I received such poor grades for some of them.

I think the best thing to do in this situation is to have a chat with your teachers to discuss what they think would be realistic for you, and where these grades have come from. With EED it is going to be very hard to get a place at university so it may be that either redoing the year or looking at alternative options is a good idea.
I was ranked 2nd in law and got a B, 4th in sociology and got a C and 6th in History and got a B. Predicted A* BB (well I was told A*AA)
What are you hoping to study? Is there no way you could go into an apprenticeship that doesn't require such high qualifications? I think you should research better options before deciding to re-take the year, but if that seems to be the best option after discussing with your teachers, there's no harm in doing so!

You may have the opportunity to resit in the autumn. However discuss it with your teachers first.

As above, speak to your teachers.

You could look at clearing and whats available, however if you are dissatisfied with the options and feel the grades are not a fair reflection you should consider sitting the papers. (you can also speak to your school if an appeal is possible, if they feel their is enough evidence)

You can either sit this autumn papers or May/June next year.
I messaged my teachers, and they agreed saying that a lot of people aren’t happy with their grades.
You should also check to see if your teachers are planning to appeal the grades- this could change your opportunities slightly!
Reply 8
Absolutely no course will take you on with EED. But all isn't lost - speak to teachers and evaluate your options.

You can retake the year; the course entirely or opt for an alternative such as a BTEC.

If your GCSE grades are good, you can consider an apprenticeship if you already got an idea of what you want to do?

You gain good work experience; you're paid a good wage and still get qualified up to degree level!
Reply 9
If your school says a lot of people are unhappy and received much lower than expected, an appeal from them as a whole wouldn’t surprise me. If not, you could always appeal individually.

I would advise resitting in the autumn as you’re more likely to boost your chances and get grades which greater reflect you and your ability.
Original post by FRS500
Absolutely no course will take you on with EED. But all isn't lost - speak to teachers and evaluate your options.

You can retake the year; the course entirely or opt for an alternative such as a BTEC.

If your GCSE grades are good, you can consider an apprenticeship if you already got an idea of what you want to do?

You gain good work experience; you're paid a good wage and still get qualified up to degree level!

I mean, I know someone from another school through a friend that got EED and got into Wrexham Glyndwr to do Policing, but that’s probably not helpful 😂

What course do you want to do :smile: I’ll go hunting to see if there’s any in your area of expertise!

Original post by FRS500
Absolutely no course will take you on with EED.

Fake news, lots of courses would take you, I looked these up myself and there were 189 if I recall, without knowing which area they want to go into :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

depends, if you're doing a subject that you can possibly do a foundation year on, why bother retaking the a levels?
I want to redo year 13 again . Does anybody know if you can have lesson in school/college because my college won’t .
Original post by fthd1999
I want to redo year 13 again . Does anybody know if you can have lesson in school/college because my college won’t .

Do you mean that your school will refuse to let you resit the year?
I would say either go to another college and see what they can offer you or ask yourself whether you would feel confident resitting exams in the autumn at your original college.
I feel like it would impact my job opportunities completely. I wanted to go in to law. I failed my maths gcse but aside from that, I did well in everything else of my gcses. I think I should retake perhaps in the autumn or redo year 13 but if I did them in the autumn, wouldn’t I have to study at uni too?
I’m really worried
I feel like it would impact my job opportunities completely. I wanted to go in to law. I failed my maths gcse but aside from that, I did well in everything else of my gcses. I think I should retake perhaps in the autumn or redo year 13 but if I did them in the autumn, wouldn’t I have to study at uni too?
I’m really worried

If you were retaking in autumn there *may* be a chance to start uni in the spring term, though I have a feeling that this will be unlikely for competitive courses such as law. You would not be prepping for A-level exams and studying at uni at the same time if that is what you mean!
With this all in mind, have you considered sitting exams during next summer's exam season? This may be the best course of action if you are not happy with your grades for law.
Reply 17
I’m really worried

You should be more honest with yourself, and frankly more realistic. Even if you did retake the year, would your grades be significantly better? Also, why are you aiming for Law when you couldn't even do your GCSE's?

Your best route would be a foundation year (if you do get accepted) and look for a completely new career path.
I got EUU, worked for 8 years and I just received my unconditional from Cambridge today. Maybe like me you just need some time to grow up and develop a bit?
Original post by Wilbo Bagi
I got EUU, worked for 8 years and I just received my unconditional from Cambridge today. Maybe like me you just need some time to grow up and develop a bit?

That is definitely a viable route, OP. Remember to consider more roundabout ways to where you're going, even if they sound a little insane at first :heart:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending