The Student Room Group

Who was at fault here?

Okay so I've been driving for a little under 2 years.

A couple of days ago I was heading into work.

There's a part of my commute that technically goes through a village but the road is sort of bypassing it.. So it's still 50km speed limit but it's a straight road going alongside the village, which is all on the left.

Cars fly through that spot, I wasn't.

So I came into the town, car ahead of me was doing 80km or so (50km speed limit) and I slowed down, I was probably going 60 or so, I know I was going too fast but in all honesty I wasn't watching my speed I was just slowing as I came into the village.

A car pulled out in front of me, he had plenty of room/time.
But he didn't get up to speed, he couldn't have been going more than 30kmph.
I went to over take, it's a long straight road, no traffic coming, I had slowed as I realised he was going very slow, but I was still quick enough to overtake carefully.

I pulled out to overtake, he then swerved onto the other side of the road as I had started to over take him.
I hammered on the brakes, and the horn, he went back to his side of the road and beeped at me.
I over took him and he stuck his hand out the window telling me to slow down, then he gave me the finger.

There's no turn off, he wasn't indicating.
There's just a long, high brick wall, he was 100% just swerving in front of me.

I know I was going too quickly, but who's in the wrong.
My father just says 'well you were going too fast', ignoring the fact this melt nearly made me crash the car.

Scroll to see replies

He’s in the wrong dw 👑
Sounds like you tbh, you're being a little dishonest about speed so your detail of the other driver is a bit suspect, I'd need to hear their version. The main thing to take away is you were going too fast.
Original post by StriderHort
Sounds like you tbh, you're being a little dishonest about speed so your detail of the other driver is a bit suspect, I'd need to hear their version. The main thing to take away is you were going too fast.

Why would you assume I'm being dishonest when I said I was speeding?
Reply 4
You were both wrong, but the other road user was more wrong. if someone is speeding behind you and looking to overtake then veering out in front of them is the stupidest thing you could do.

Don't speed.
Original post by SeanLaurentParis
Why would you assume I'm being dishonest when I said I was speeding?

'Cars fly through that spot, I wasn't, It's a 50km (km?) speed limit....I was probably going 60, or so'

So 65-70MPH through a residential area? That's court summons territory. You are so in the wrong, the other driver wouldn't have mattered a jot if you weren't driving like a loony, you even admit you weren't really paying attention. Think how this sounds to readers? A Cop would have a field day with this. :tongue:

The other driver may well have acted questionably....but they were being harassed by a dangerous driver, what's YOUR excuse?
Original post by TheDE
You were both wrong, but the other road user was more wrong. if someone is speeding behind you and looking to overtake then veering out in front of them is the stupidest thing you could do.

Don't speed.

C'mon, back me up and pick holes in the story, it's funnier :tongue: I doubt the other driver even swerved at all.
Where did the other driver pull out from?
Original post by MedicWil

I heard it was an orphanage.
I heard it was an orphanage.

I heard that too. Full of sick kids, terrified of speeding drivers.
Reply 10
I heard that too. Full of sick kids, terrified of speeding drivers.

Well they put the wall up because speeders kept crashing through their bedroom walls.
'Cars fly through that spot, I wasn't, It's a 50km (km?) speed limit....I was probably going 60, or so'

So 65-70MPH through a residential area? That's court summons territory. You are so in the wrong, the other driver wouldn't have mattered a jot if you weren't driving like a loony, you even admit you weren't really paying attention. Think how this sounds to readers? A Cop would have a field day with this. :tongue:

The other driver may well have acted questionably....but they were being harassed by a dangerous driver, what's YOUR excuse?

Km not mph, I wasn't paying attention to my speed, I was pressing on the brake and watching the car that was pulling out in front of me.
Original post by Bio 7
Well they put the wall up because speeders kept crashing through their bedroom walls.

Nope it's into a park or something of that nature it's a row of houses on the opposite side and a 10ft high stone wall on the opposite side.

He pulled out of an entrance to a housing estate.
I drive that way every day into work, it was around 10-15 meters between where he pulled out and where he swerved in front of me.
He pulled out of an entrance to a housing estate.
I drive that way every day into work, it was around 10-15 meters between where he pulled out and where he swerved in front of me.

Were there any stop signs? Give way lines etc?
Were there any stop signs? Give way lines etc?

Nope nothing, he was well within his rights to pull out, there was enough space but he didn't get up to speed at all, he wasn't going any more than 30kmph.
The right side of the road is just a long high stone wall, there's maybe a foot between the line and the wall itself, there's nothing over there.
He was 100% swerving in front of me intentionally.
You're at fault for speeding but he should have looked in his wing mirrors before moving out
Original post by bones-mccoy
You're at fault for speeding but he should have looked in his wing mirrors before moving out

The moving out wasn't the issue, he had plenty of time/space.
It's the fact that he didn't get up to speed and then decided to swerve into me when I went to overtake.
Reply 18
The moving out wasn't the issue, he had plenty of time/space.
It's the fact that he didn't get up to speed and then decided to swerve into me when I went to overtake.

Right but had you been driving the speed limit couldn't this have been a nothing incident? Just because some people drive faster than the legal limit isn't a free ride for everyone else to, and this is probably the other drivers frustration. You don't know them, they could have lost a kid on that road due to someone speeding.
Original post by TheDE
Right but had you been driving the speed limit couldn't this have been a nothing incident? Just because some people drive faster than the legal limit isn't a free ride for everyone else to, and this is probably the other drivers frustration. You don't know them, they could have lost a kid on that road due to someone speeding.

No because I would have still overtaken him, given he was going significantly less than the speed limit.
Why would you assume he lost a kid due to speeding on that road as opposed to him just not having the awareness to match the flow of traffic.
I was going too fast, I admitted that, but he was going very slow, I overtook him going a fraction over the speed limit, he was a solid 20kmph less, which is less than ideal but still completely legal.
Had I been going the speed limit, I would have still overtaken him on that stretch of road.

He swerved into my path in an attempt to stop me from over taking, that's dangerous, more-so than speeding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending