The Student Room Group

I got this email from accommodation and I’m so nervous

What does this mean omg?? What exactly do they want me to do?

We just want to give you a reminder of everything we need from you to complete your booking and to remind you of your rent dates.

Checklist for completing your booking:

Complete and return Guarantor documentation (signed guarantor pages, proof of address and ID)
Familiarise yourself with your contracted rent dates and let us know if you are unable to pay on these dates
Let us know if you need the 'deferment' option, as per the below

Rent Dates

For most contract, your rent dates are as follows:

Annual Payers (paying in full) - 5th August 2020
Instalment payments - 22nd August 2020 for first instalment

Deferment

If you have chosen to pay in instalments and you are unable to make the first payment as per your contracted rent dates, you must make contact with us as soon as possible. We can offer you a 'deferment' option and allow you to pay at a later date, if you are waiting for funding. This is especially relevant if you are relying on Student Finance to pay your rent. For this, we will need the following from you:

- Request for the deferment in writing (email)
- Evidence of your Student Finance payment date(s)
- Two weeks rent paid upfront

Once you have provided this information to us and paid 2 weeks of rent, we can defer your first instalment to the date you will be receiving your loan. The two weeks rent will be deducted from your balance and is NOT an additional charge.

If you have not completed all of your documentation by 12 midday on Friday 14th August 2020, we will change you to an annual payer and you will be expected to pay your rent in full.

how can I pay 2 weeks upfront I’m so confused

Scroll to see replies

It’s basically just telling you when your rent is due and the dates to make sure you’re still okay to pay it and making sure you’ve sent all your documents off
You pay 2 weeks of rent now and then they can defer your payments to when you get payed your student finance
But if it’s not done by tomorrowyou will have to pay the whole year upfront so if you’re unable to pay the 2 weeks I would phone them up straight away
Original post by Savannah1256
It’s basically just telling you when your rent is due and the dates to make sure you’re still okay to pay it and making sure you’ve sent all your documents off

You pay 2 weeks of rent now and then they can defer your payments to when you get payed your student finance

But if it’s not done by tomorrowyou will have to pay the whole year upfront so if you’re unable to pay the 2 weeks I would phone them up straight away

Ugh they said it states I’m paying in full and I need a guarantor wtf
That can be your parents siblings partner literally anyone you can trust to make the payment if you for some reason cannot. What uni have you applied too
That can be your parents siblings partner literally anyone you can trust to make the payment if you for some reason cannot. What uni have you applied too

They said I need a gurantor and it can’t be anyone related to me. Uni of Bradford
Original post by Angelic Roar
They said I need a gurantor and it can’t be anyone related to me. Uni of Bradford

Hm that's strange, usually gurantors for accommodation can be friends or family as they have to agree to take on the rental costs if you fail to pay. Someone who knows you professionally but isn't close to you is unlikely to take on such a responsibility.
Most universities ask for an upfront payment along with the deposit. It's an annoying situation given student finance doesnt come in until september. Most people borrow the money from friends or family and then pay it back when SFE comes in.

@University of Bradford do you have any insights? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy
Hm that's strange, usually gurantors for accommodation can be friends or family as they have to agree to take on the rental costs if you fail to pay. Someone who knows you professionally but isn't close to you is unlikely to take on such a responsibility.
Most universities ask for an upfront payment along with the deposit. It's an annoying situation given student finance doesnt come in until september. Most people borrow the money from friends or family and then pay it back when SFE comes in.

There is absolutely no one who can be my guarantor, no friends or family are going to take that responsibility. :frown:

This is what it says

Your guarantor needs to be UK based and in full time employment or a home owner.

The witness cannot be related to you or the guarantor and is just signing to confirm that the documents are not forged. This could be a friend or a neighbour.
This is what it says

Your guarantor needs to be UK based and in full time employment or a home owner.

The witness cannot be related to you or the guarantor and is just signing to confirm that the documents are not forged. This could be a friend or a neighbour.

Oh well if they are just signing documents to ensure they aren't fake then I imagine most people wont mind doing that :smile:
Kind of a weird system they have implemented to be honest, i've not heard of this before - usually in a rental context a guarantor is someone willing to make the payments on your behalf if you can't for whatever reason.
What does this mean omg?? What exactly do they want me to do?

We just want to give you a reminder of everything we need from you to complete your booking and to remind you of your rent dates.

Checklist for completing your booking:

Complete and return Guarantor documentation (signed guarantor pages, proof of address and ID)
Familiarise yourself with your contracted rent dates and let us know if you are unable to pay on these dates
Let us know if you need the 'deferment' option, as per the below

Rent Dates

For most contract, your rent dates are as follows:

Annual Payers (paying in full) - 5th August 2020
Instalment payments - 22nd August 2020 for first instalment

Deferment

If you have chosen to pay in instalments and you are unable to make the first payment as per your contracted rent dates, you must make contact with us as soon as possible. We can offer you a 'deferment' option and allow you to pay at a later date, if you are waiting for funding. This is especially relevant if you are relying on Student Finance to pay your rent. For this, we will need the following from you:

- Request for the deferment in writing (email)
- Evidence of your Student Finance payment date(s)
- Two weeks rent paid upfront

Once you have provided this information to us and paid 2 weeks of rent, we can defer your first instalment to the date you will be receiving your loan. The two weeks rent will be deducted from your balance and is NOT an additional charge.

If you have not completed all of your documentation by 12 midday on Friday 14th August 2020, we will change you to an annual payer and you will be expected to pay your rent in full.

how can I pay 2 weeks upfront I’m so confused

Hi there!

Please contact The Green on [email protected] or call on +44 (0) 333 344 2829, who can clarify this for you.

Thank you :smile:

Becky
This is what it says

Its up to them. I assume you are a UK national?
Many universities do not require guarantors for UK nationals.
Cant say I am impressed with Bradford.
You cna get insurance if needs be but that will cost more money.
Original post by 999tigger
Its up to them. I assume you are a UK national?
Many universities do not require guarantors for UK nationals.
Cant say I am impressed with Bradford.
You cna get insurance if needs be but that will cost more money.

Im a British citizen Yh if that’s what you’re asking.
What??? :frown:

Oh well if they are just signing documents to ensure they aren't fake then I imagine most people wont mind doing that :smile:
Kind of a weird system they have implemented to be honest, i've not heard of this before - usually in a rental context a guarantor is someone willing to make the payments on your behalf if you can't for whatever reason.

This is what they just sent me:

Hi there,

Usually a guarantor would be a family member or a friend or partner. It will need to be someone who would be happy to agree to be liable for paying your rent IF you did not make the payments yourself.

If you do not have family or friends who can help with this, there are companies that can help with being guarantor. Housing Hand is probably the best place to try first, as a lot of our students use them.

Unfortunately, we are unable to allow anyone instalment options if we don’t receive these documents.

Like what are they even talking about? Smh. This whole student finance and getting accommodation sorted out is soo unbelievably stressful. I thought I’d pay my deposit and that was it.

Hi there,

Usually a guarantor would be a family member or a friend or partner. It will need to be someone who would be happy to agree to be liable for paying your rent IF you did not make the payments yourself.

If you do not have family or friends who can help with this, there are companies that can help with being guarantor. Housing Hand is probably the best place to try first, as a lot of our students use them.

Unfortunately, we are unable to allow anyone instalment options if we don’t receive these documents.

Like what are they even talking about? Smh. This whole student finance and getting accommodation sorted out is soo unbelievably stressful. I thought I’d pay my deposit and that was it.

I am assuming this is offical Uni of Bradofrd accommodation.
As Per cavys post they are saying you need a guarantor or insurance othetrwise they wont accpet your accommodation application.
Not all universities do this. One of the advantages of uni owned accommodation is usually they do not.

You are going to have to find a guarantor or pay for Housing hand or similar.

I am not sure why the guarantior cnat be related as am sure parents often act as guarantor.
I am assuming this is offical Uni of Bradofrd accommodation.
As Per cavys post they are saying you need a guarantor or insurance othetrwise they wont accpet your accommodation application.
Not all universities do this. One of the advantages of uni owned accommodation is usually they do not.

You are going to have to find a guarantor or pay for Housing hand or similar.

I am not sure why the guarantior cnat be related as am sure parents often act as guarantor.

They said I can get family as one but I have no contact with my family. And also my friends would never hold that responsibility and I would never expect them to. So do I call the housing hands? also why do I have to pay them? why is everything money smh😭
They said I can get family as one but I have no contact with my family. And also my friends would never hold that responsibility and I would never expect them to. So do I call the housing hands? also why do I have to pay them? why is everything money smh😭

Have you been in care? It sucks tbh.
On their side it would have made all this clear omn the website from the start.
On the other side it still sucks and would be a point against choosing Bradford when compared to other uns that have no such requirement.

If you're care experienced or an estranged student it's worth asking if they have a department that could offer guidance. I studied at Leeds and they have the Plus Programme.
Have you been in care? It sucks tbh.
On their side it would have made all this clear omn the website from the start.
On the other side it still sucks and would be a point against choosing Bradford when compared to other uns that have no such requirement.

I’m 21 and left my family home a few months ago. I’m the process of getting a restraining order against them so no contact whatsoever.
It really does suck
Reply 19

Hi there,

If you want to pay by installments you need to:
- pay 2 weeks rent as a deposit (but it's not extra, it's knocked off your first rent installment
- get a friend or family member to sign saying they will guarantee your rent if you don't keep up the installments
- get the signature on that form witnessed (that is someone signs to say they saw your relative sign it) by someone not related to you - a neighbour for example
- if you can't get a guarantor, you need to go to Housing Hand (or similar) who will sell you insurance to cover you

If you can't do the above, you will revert to having to pay the whole lot in one lump.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending