The Student Room Group

I failed what should I do next?

So the government let me down and I went from B predictions to CDD and now I am confused on what to do. I could either take a gap year which isn't ideal and try to get the 2 D grades up in 2 months even though I have to revise everything again or I could apply for a foundation year through clearing. I haven't researched a lot into foundation years and wanted to know if you can transfer unis if you do well and also if you can transfer to any uni or just the ones connected to that foundation year uni. I've let my parents down
Original post by SKhagrid
So the government let me down and I went from B predictions to CDD and now I am confused on what to do. I could either take a gap year which isn't ideal and try to get the 2 D grades up in 2 months even though I have to revise everything again or I could apply for a foundation year through clearing. I haven't researched a lot into foundation years and wanted to know if you can transfer unis if you do well and also if you can transfer to any uni or just the ones connected to that foundation year uni. I've let my parents down

Sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you needed. You can apply to any uni with a foundation course, but some unis may not accept them
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you needed. You can apply to any uni with a foundation course, but some unis may not accept them

So if I do well in my foundation year I can't apply to another uni? Also do I get student finance for a foundation year degree
So if I do well in my foundation year I can't apply to another uni? Also do I get student finance for a foundation year degree

No, you can apply to another uni, but they would have to decide whether they accept foundation years and some may not. Look on the websites for the unis you would be interested in and see if it mentions foundation courses. And yes you can get finance, but it will use up one of your 4 years: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Hi @SKhagrid,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the grades you needed. But there might be a few other routes to studying what you want at university such as a foundation year or a CertHE programme. What course(s) are you interested in studying?

Regards,
Chris

Hello,

First of all, I really don't think you have let your parents down. There are a lot of people in similar situations this year and given that you didn't get the chance to sit your exams, there's not a lot you could have done differently. It is really confusing this year, especially with the late announcement from the government yesterday.

Foundation courses can provide a good route on to popular courses and help prepare you for university life and study too.

You could have a look at the UCAS website for a start, or you might find your preferred choice has a foundation option. It is also worth ringing unis too because you might still be accepted on to a course.

A lot of universities would let you transfer, but this will depend on the uni and the course.

What is it you're wanting to study?

Julie
UoH
Reply 6
Original post by University of Lincoln
Hi @SKhagrid,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the grades you needed. But there might be a few other routes to studying what you want at university such as a foundation year or a CertHE programme. What course(s) are you interested in studying?

Regards,
Chris

I was planning to study law
I was planning to study law

I think it's worth calling some universities. Unis are being really supportive and understanding of what everyone has been through. You might well find entry requirements are lowered.

Julie
UoH

Quick Reply

Latest