The Student Room Group

How do you think life will be like in 2500?

Be realistic and honest because im really interested. Personally i think if we arent extinct by then, we would probably be living on a man made outer surface of earth made of metal.
Oh and I also think that everyone would be speaking the same language or only two/three languages would be spoken worldwide and everyone would have the same culture and everyone would be mixed race to the point where race doesnt exist anymore
No humans left
Reply 3
By then, if we survive, there's a good chance we may not need biological bodies. Humanity may just exist as mental uploads in a network of machinery.
Original post by Krood
By then, if we survive, there's a good chance we may not need biological bodies. Humanity may just exist as mental uploads in a network of machinery.

i seriously dont understand that. would we be like a computer? but that would be exhausting and weird tbh. can you explain more? is it like a stimulation
Original post by Randomgyal0404
Oh and I also think that everyone would be speaking the same language or only two/three languages would be spoken worldwide and everyone would have the same culture and everyone would be mixed race to the point where race doesnt exist anymore

Why u think so? I would say I have seen some hints in terms of disappearing languages and increasing interracial marriages. However I slightly doubt in terms of the mixture of culture. But god knows what is it like hundreds of years later.
Original post by Morgania
Why u think so? I would say I have seen some hints in terms of disappearing languages and increasing interracial marriages. However I slightly doubt in terms of the mixture of culture. But god knows what is it like hundreds of years later.

Globalization and the internet is playing a big part of this. I reckon in a couple hundred years most people would be the same in terms of culture, looks, language etc and in 500 years, all people would be like this
w/o me
Summer may be hot as hell in 2500. Though it almost is in 2020. I doubt our survival.
Reply 9
Original post by Randomgyal0404
i seriously dont understand that. would we be like a computer? but that would be exhausting and weird tbh. can you explain more? is it like a stimulation

its hard to say tbh.

but start by imagining replacing yourself piece by piece with robot parts. We already do it with limbs.
In 200 years time Im sure we would be able to replace much more sensitive parts like the skin, internal organs, the skeleton.
The nervous system would be difficult but I think doable within 300 years. So by this point we could look like anything... remote-controlled hovering limbs and multiple camera eyes that feed directly into our visual cortex, you name it

The last thing to go will probably be the brain, or the 'will' / 'ego' / 'consciousness' -- I think that would be a huge challenge though as we still have relatively little idea how the brain really works.
But the idea is that you could map and capture the state of a brain and replicate it digitally on some kind of computer. And potentially you could then copy it and sent it through the network. That conscious state could then operate machines or whatever it was plugged into with the willpower of a human, but probably with greatly heightened intelligence.

Maybe its impossible to recreate the brain this way, idk. But I see no reason why not with enough research, its a physical object with information pulsing through it, not unlike a computer.
What that would actually feel like, I don't know. I think there's a whole range of possibilities depending on how the technology is built. And it would be very different if you are given a robot body with something like nerves, or if you exist only as a mental entity in a digital realm.
Permanent euphoria is one hopeful possibility?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Vanessa Chuah
w/o me

same

I'd assume that some parts of Earth may be completely uninhabitable for humans, potentially causing some countries to collapse.

Some of the buildings that we see every day may not even exist, or that they are altered in some way.

We will probably be living on other worlds/moons, maybe in other systems (obviously close to ours).

The food will be unrecognisable

We might be part cyborg.

I don't think overpopulation will be an issue, but maybe a food/water shortage due to the harsher climate (assuming that we haven't found a way to resolve that issue)

Illness and Disease will still be an issue, there is always a new disease/virus out there waiting to go on a rampage. Medicine will advance, but having a cure for everything may be impossible.

I'd doubt that we will be in close contact with intelligent aliens similar to us, the universe is too vast to find any. Although, we will most likely deal with alien microbes.

AI/Robots may be integral for the everyday human, but I don't think it will completely overrule the human race.

Or we could all be dead, hard to say really.
(edited 3 years ago)
Think you overestimate what man will achieve in 500 years. getting off the plant is a whole different level which requires massive resources.
Original post by 999tigger
Think you overestimate what man will achieve in 500 years. getting off the plant is a whole different level which requires massive resources.

never said that
Reply 14
I don't think humans will do a lot of space exploration, as biological humans. Far, far cheaper and more reliable to build a ship that can deploy tiny drones. And have those drones set up factories to self replicate.

Humans as we are now require space, oxygen, beds, toilets, comforts, and on long space missions could be prone to injuries, and mental instability etc.
Once robotics reaches a certain level it would be madness to use humans for a mission. You might get uber-rich space tourists though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Krood
I don't think humans will do a lot of space exploration, as biological humans. Far, far cheaper and more reliable to build a ship that can deploy tiny drones. And have those drones set up factories to self replicate.

Humans require space, oxygen, beds, toilets, comforts, and on long space missions could be prone to injuries, and mental instability etc.
Once robotics reaches a certain level it would be madness to use humans for a mission. You might get uber-rich space tourists though.

mental instability?
Reply 16
Imagine being cooped up in something the size of a caravan for several decades with the same 4 other people, with the same darkness outside the window.

Humans are not biologically equipped for long space flight missions. I know I'd go completely bats after 5 years.
Original post by Krood
Imagine being cooped up in something the size of a caravan for several decades with the same 4 other people, with the same darkness outside the window.

Humans are not biologically equipped for long space flight missions. I know I'd go completely bats after 5 years.

Lol I understand
Original post by 999tigger

Not if we use O'Neill cylinders.

Quick Reply

Latest