The Student Room Group

Do you think 18 and 19 year olds are more like teens or adults.

I mean theyre both but who are they more similar to in terms of maturity, independence, ability, development, mental maturity etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I personally think teens, maybe even more similar to kids then middle aged adults. I think theyre made more like adults when theyre not.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I mean theyre both but who are they more similar to in terms of maturity, independence, ability, development, mental maturity etc.

I think it depends on the individual. I was certainly a very childish 18-19 year old!
Reply 3
It is currently argued across parts of developmental psychology that they are in fact neither (google Emerging Adulthood)

18 is typically seen as the end of adolescence, whilst 19 is seen as the start of emerging adulthood (more independent than adolescence, but yet to assume the roles normative of adults).

If you had to pick one, based on the two choices, it would be teens, I guess
Reply 4
Original post by L-K
I think it depends on the individual. I was certainly a very childish 18-19 year old!

I think most >20 are immature. if youre mature at that age kudos to you
Reply 5
Original post by eddnoon
It is currently argued across parts of developmental psychology that they are in fact neither (google Emerging Adulthood)

18 is typically seen as the end of adolescence, whilst 19 is seen as the start of emerging adulthood (more independent than adolescence, but yet to assume the roles normative of adults).

Hmm interesting
It depends on the individuals and how mature their personalities are.
Some 18-19 year old behave like adults while others have less maturity than a six year old.
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
It depends on the individuals and how mature their personalities are.
Some 18-19 year old behave like adults while others have less maturity than a six year old.

I think most act like kids. Ive never met any 18-19 year old who ever acted as mature as a proper adult. Ever
Definitely teens
Original post by eddnoon

I agree. But apparently, your prefrontal cortex (a certain region of your brain) isn't fully developed until you're like 20 or 21. So I'd class them as very mature teens that should probably start to act like adults now.
Completely depends on the person, I'm not particularly different in maturity from 18 to now at 25 but I know some people would be very different in that time.
Reply 11
Hmm interesting

To answer such a question, you have to ask: what is an adult?

Although many in this thread have highlighted how people behave, others would argue it is the social roles/'tasks' that individuals achieve that makes them an adult.

Things such as having left education, having a full time career, moving out of the family home permanently, marriage, being a parent etc. You do not have to achieve all of these of course (e.g., some 50 year old's may be studying a degree, some individuals may not wish to be married/cannot have a child etc.)

However, can you really argue that you are - or someone else is - an 'adult' without ticking a few of these off?

This is the premise of emerging adulthood: in contemporary Western societies, social and economic forces are meaning that young people are postponing these adult 'tasks', thus prolonging the transition from adolescence to adulthood, often until the mid-20s.
Reply 12
I think most >20 are immature. if youre mature at that age kudos to you

Using '>' you've just said that most over-20s are immature!!!
I really think it depends on the individual. I wouldn’t say a 18/19 would be the same as a mid 20 years old but I wouldn’t say they are the same as a teenager either.
Original post by Mercury Raven
I agree. But apparently, your prefrontal cortex (a certain region of your brain) isn't fully developed until you're like 20 or 21. So I'd class them as very mature teens that should probably start to act like adults now.

It actually finishes developing at 25

Original post by claireestelle
Completely depends on the person, I'm not particularly different in maturity from 18 to now at 25 but I know some people would be very different in that time.

Most people mature around 20/21, fully developed at 25. Of course a minority like you wouldnt tho
imo adolescence continue into your 20s and the definitions are very outdated, 18/19yo are adults in name only.
Original post by Surnia
Using '>' you've just said that most over-20s are immature!!!

Omg I meant to use < I have mild dyslexia and these confuse me
Original post by Physicsqueen
I really think it depends on the individual. I wouldn’t say a 18/19 would be the same as a mid 20 years old but I wouldn’t say they are the same as a teenager either.

18 and 19 year olds are teenagers
I think most act like kids. Ive never met any 18-19 year old who ever acted as mature as a proper adult. Ever

They do exist! I assure you :wink:
Teens. Behaviour, judgement, reactions, life experiences etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending