The Student Room Group

Doing a random course to get into my dream uni

Long story Short I was predicted A*A*AA in Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Further maths AS and ended up with CACA respectively. Didn't get into firm and insurance and not sure if the mock grades they use for my appeal will reach A*AA which is what my original course at Warwick requires by sept 7th (Maths and Physics). So my plan is to get into a random degree and ask to change courses before uni starts or a couple weeks in. Warwick is my dream uni and I can't imagine not going there, I know it's stupid risking doing a random degree just to get into the uni but I want this so badly. No I won't take a gap year or resit because I'm not going through this bs again. It's either this plan or do finance at aston because my C was in physics so I can't do my desired course regardless. So my choices are do a random course and risk being stuck on it with no prospects but go to a uni I love or go to a uni I don't like on a course I don't like because it might get me a job

Scroll to see replies

@hiskjd sorry to hear this. Have you tried to go through Clearing? There may be other options available to you that you haven't thought of. Which course was it you wanted to do? If we can help our Clearing Hotline is 01473 338352
Absolutely, go to the uni you love - Warwick - since a degree from there carries a lot of weight. It's a top uni and highly regarded so even if you studied Kite flying the fact that you have a degree from Warwick is all that matters.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hisksjd
Long story Short I was predicted A*A*AA in Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Further maths AS and ended up with CACA respectively. Didn't get into firm and insurance and not sure if the mock grades they use for my appeal will reach A*AA which is what my original course at Warwick requires by sept 7th (Maths and Physics). So my plan is to get into a random degree and ask to change courses before uni starts or a couple weeks in. Warwick is my dream uni and I can't imagine not going there, I know it's stupid risking doing a random degree just to get into the uni but I want this so badly. No I won't take a gap year or resit because I'm not going through this bs again. It's either this plan or do finance at aston because my C was in physics so I can't do my desired course regardless. So my choices are do a random course and risk being stuck on it with no prospects but go to a uni I love or go to a uni I don't like on a course I don't like because it might get me a job

have you asked if they would be willing to defer the offer to 2021 if the appeal takes a while? I wouldn't risk trying to transfer to a popular course as it might take longer than 2 weeks for people to drop out so there's space if at all.
Original post by Hisksjd

This is a terrible plan imo.
You cant just move courses. Its not like America where chopping & changing is normal.
Warwick will most likely say no & you'll be stuck with a degree of no interest to you or drop out having wasted a year & end up in the same boat.

I would consider resitting one of physics & chemistry. You have 2 strong grades and if you sit in the autumn it will count as a first attempt.
Think about this, use your disappointment to fuel motivation for revision. Spend the next 3 months grinding revision, think about that. You could put all your energy into smashing 1 subject. Then you'll have 3 great A-levels which will open great doors for the next academic year.
Yo if it really starts to get rough just remember theres always the option to redo the year. I never knew this and when I didn't get the grades for my course and getting rejected by most clearing courses (it's a competitive course and my grades were, even by the uni standards quite bad) there was always the option of going to a uni with very low entry standards but when I weighed everything up like quality of life, student satisfaction, feedback ect ect to me the investment was not worth it. So 3 weeks went by and I still had no idea what the plan was but then one of my friends suggested retaking the year.

At first I thought this proposal was ridiculous and that I would be embarassed for the rest of my life, but let me tell you. This. Was. Singlehandedly. The. Best. Decision. I've. Ever. Made. Ever. Not only was I accepted into my dream uni and got in relatively with ease (not much brain power needed to do it the second time around lol) I also made some friends (some 1 year below and some redo too) but the thing that I benefitted the most from was using this 'time off' to really mature. That one year I took off must have let my mind mature atleast 5 years. It was SO worth it and I cant recommend it enough.

Hope it goes well, remember to keep strong and work your way through step by step, most importantly have an end goal and plan your strategy to get there.
Reply 6
So sorry to hear. Are you restricted to the midlands area? There should be great options for you in clearing.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
So sorry to hear. Are you restricted to the midlands area? There should be great options for you in clearing.

It's more the fact that I want to go to warwick specifically, I already have an offer for aston through
Reply 8
Original post by Hisksjd
It's more the fact that I want to go to warwick specifically, I already have an offer for aston through

Warwick seem to have engineering courses in clearing if thats of any interest?
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
This is a terrible plan imo.
You cant just move courses. Its not like America where chopping & changing is normal.
Warwick will most likely say no & you'll be stuck with a degree of no interest to you or drop out having wasted a year & end up in the same boat.

I would consider resitting one of physics & chemistry. You have 2 strong grades and if you sit in the autumn it will count as a first attempt.
Think about this, use your disappointment to fuel motivation for revision. Spend the next 3 months grinding revision, think about that. You could put all your energy into smashing 1 subject. Then you'll have 3 great A-levels which will open great doors for the next academic year.

Maybe if we were given results earlier so we could resit before the new term starts then sure but I may as well appeal and hope for the best in that case but my main thing is I want to make sure I get into warwick this year. I don't want to defer entry, take a gap year etc. I just want to go to warwick this year, I know the plan is bad and silly with a lot of risk but that's how badly I want to get in. I'm flexible with the course I want get into (maths and/or physics, even engineering) so I'm sure I could find a place to transfer into after I get onto that course and if my appeal works out I'd be able to get onto my original course anyway
Reply 10
Original post by ajj2000
Warwick seem to have engineering courses in clearing if thats of any interest?

I can't do any of them because of my C in physics
Original post by Hisksjd

Have they said that?
Original post by Hisksjd

Have you considered any foundation years? That way you have a chance if going to Warwick even with the missed grades :redface:
Original post by Hisksjd
Maybe if we were given results earlier so we could resit before the new term starts then sure but I may as well appeal and hope for the best in that case but my main thing is I want to make sure I get into warwick this year. I don't want to defer entry, take a gap year etc. I just want to go to warwick this year, I know the plan is bad and silly with a lot of risk but that's how badly I want to get in. I'm flexible with the course I want get into (maths and/or physics, even engineering) so I'm sure I could find a place to transfer into after I get onto that course and if my appeal works out I'd be able to get onto my original course anyway

Look forget the idea of transferring courses at Warwick in the first few weeks - that's a long shot. Different departments work independently of each other so once they hit their target quota then they will be unwilling to let you drop out and the other department will be unwilling to take you.
Reply 14
Original post by ajj2000
Have they said that?

Yes
Original post by Hisksjd

IMO the course is more important than the uni.

I would strongly recommend you consider an approach about the degree.
Its your decision. I personally think its quite short-sighted but its your choice...
Original post by Hisksjd

Is there any reason why you are restricting yourself to engineering (or similar) courses at Warwick in particular, rather than - for instance - at another good university that is also participating in Clearing?
Reply 17
Original post by Carbon Dioxide
Is there any reason why you are restricting yourself to engineering (or similar) courses at Warwick in particular, rather than - for instance - at another good university that is also participating in Clearing?

I already have aston as a backup for clearing but Warwick is where I genuinely want to go. There aren't many good unis in the UK that are diverse and I'd rather not go to a London uni, warwick is my dream uni and honestly I'm willing to take whatever risks to get in. I know it's stupid but I'm pissed at how badly I've been wronged and I refuse to go through anymore stress with this bs. I just want to go to my dream uni no matter the cost
Original post by Hisksjd
I already have aston as a backup for clearing but Warwick is where I genuinely want to go. There aren't many good unis in the UK that are diverse and I'd rather not go to a London uni, warwick is my dream uni and honestly I'm willing to take whatever risks to get in. I know it's stupid but I'm pissed at how badly I've been wronged and I refuse to go through anymore stress with this bs. I just want to go to my dream uni no matter the cost

If you want to go to Warwick and nowhere else, your realistic options are:

1. Do exams and reapply next year
2. Appeal and see if you get the grades
3. Find another course at Warwick that will take you but go on the understanding that you are more than likely not be able to transfer onto your chosen course (so be happy with whatever you choose for 3 years)
Original post by ajj2000
Have they said that?

What subject are you interested in taking. There should be options with AAC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending