The Student Room Group

How many Distinctions do you need to get an overall triple distinction grade (DDD)?

I am doing BTEC: Health and Social Care - 12 Units for 2 years
How many distinctions do I need to get DDD overall?
4 UNITS ARE EXTERNAL
8 UNITS ARE INTERNAL

EDIT:
I want DDD or D*DD if that is possible
If I really want to achieve a grade that i want then it would be D*D*D
However, It's only possible to get D*D*D if I get Distinction in both of my exams
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the Exam marks for the 4 external units in addition to the grades for your internal ones. Download the grade tracker and play around with the units to work out potential grades;
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/using-the-next-generation-btec-nqf-grade-calculator.html
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bamtutor
It depends on the Exam marks for the 4 external units in addition to the grades for your internal ones. Download the grade tracker and play around with the units to work out potential grades;
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/using-the-next-generation-btec-nqf-grade-calculator.html

for my first year results - i got a D
is that a good start?
Reply 3
One of the perks of being on a computer science course is the lecturer made a program that tells you exactly what overall grades you get based off the grades you input :biggrin:

I'll give you some examples from it, but I don't know how to give you the .exe file

In my 13 units I would need 4 Distinctions and 9 Merits to end up with a final grade of DDD

To get a D*D*D* I could have only 10 Distinctions and 3 Merits.

Of course it's based off a point system and different units are worth more points but I gave an accurate distribution of the merits/distinctions so it's fairly accurate to say the least.

This is for my Computing Level 3 Extended Diploma course.

I was personally sort of shocked by it, I thought you needed straight distinctions in your units to get 3 distinction stars.

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Keri00Summers
for my first year results - i got a D
is that a good start?

A distinction is definitely a good start! :smile:

As suggested have a play with the calculator and see what your options are. A lot of it will depend on the units and how you've done in each individual unit :h:
Original post by brainzistheword

As suggested have a play with the calculator and see what your options are. A lot of it will depend on the units and how you've done in each individual unit :h:

Original post by jgiff7
One of the perks of being on a computer science course is the lecturer made a program that tells you exactly what overall grades you get based off the grades you input :biggrin:

I'll give you some examples from it, but I don't know how to give you the .exe file

In my 13 units I would need 4 Distinctions and 9 Merits to end up with a final grade of DDD

To get a D*D*D* I could have only 10 Distinctions and 3 Merits.

Of course it's based off a point system and different units are worth more points but I gave an accurate distribution of the merits/distinctions so it's fairly accurate to say the least.

This is for my Computing Level 3 Extended Diploma course.

I was personally sort of shocked by it, I thought you needed straight distinctions in your units to get 3 distinction stars.

My results day results that i got today
Unit 1: P
Unit 2: P
Unit 5: D
Unit 7: D
Unit 10: D
Unit 19: D
Overall Grade: D

I also experimented on what I would get in each unit:
But I am really weak my exam section and i need help with that but i don't know how to do well in the exams
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6

You need to get about 4 distinctions and 3 merits next year to end up with 3 D's which I think you're totally capable of easily seeing as you got straight DS's.

Do you enjoy some units more than others?
Reply 7

You're so lucky. Please can you tell me how you recieved your individual grades for each unit? I want to know this so badly.
Original post by jgiff7
You're so lucky. Please can you tell me how you recieved your individual grades for each unit? I want to know this so badly.

The unit 1 & 2 is the exam units and the rest are the coursework
Reply 9
The unit 1 & 2 is the exam units and the rest are the coursework

Ok thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jgiff7
You need to get about 4 distinctions and 3 merits next year to end up with 3 D's which I think you're totally capable of easily seeing as you got straight DS's.

Do you enjoy some units more than others?

There are a total of 13 units and i have done 6/13
but the other 2 exam units is what i am most worried about since i might get Passes here as well but i want Merits
Original post by jgiff7
I resonate with that. I would've bottled my exams, mostly because I hate theory and I'm bad at revising. I'm glad that COVID probably gave me a one-up on this because they base it off our mock grade results which I did well in.

both in the mock exams and the real thing - i got the same grade but i don't know how to improve since i have been bad at revising
Reply 12
There are a total of 13 units and i have done 6/13
but the other 2 exam units is what i am most worried about since i might get Passes here as well but i want Merits

I resonate with that. I would've bottled my exams, mostly because I hate theory and I'm bad at revising. I'm glad that COVID probably gave me a one-up on this because they base it off our mock grade results which I did well in.
Original post by jgiff7

I feel like if i do well in the exams, i could actually achieve D*DD
Original post by jgiff7

Also if you want help with two of your coursework units for year 13 then this is the person
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6433062
this person helped me with Unit 7
She did one for Unit 8 and Unit 12

I did DDD with this but i want to get merits in my exams since it could help me get D*DD

However If I really want to get D*D*D then i would need to get Distinctions in both exams (3 & 4). But the problem is that i am bad at doing exams and there aren't any papers that i can view since they are locked and the examiner's report are also locked so i'm not sure on what to do?
(edited 3 years ago)
I did DDD with this but i want to get merits in my exams since it could help me get D*DD

However If I really want to get D*D*D then i would need to get Distinctions in both exams (3 & 4). But the problem is that i am bad at doing exams and there aren't any papers that i can view since they are locked and the examiner's report are also locked so i'm not sure on what to do?

Has your teacher provided any notes/advice on how the exams are structured? I appreciate it's tricky with a new spec as there's not much for you to use.

Perhaps the spec could help point you in the right direction - have you had a look at it?
Has your teacher provided any notes/advice on how the exams are structured? I appreciate it's tricky with a new spec as there's not much for you to use.

Perhaps the spec could help point you in the right direction - have you had a look at it?

no

i do extended diploma - i checked there but it didn't help
apart the learning aims of a, b and c

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending