The Student Room Group

Were Man United of 1998-1999 the most exciting attacking team ever?

Scroll to see replies

100% no question about it
No, compare them with recent Manchester City teams or indeed the Liverpool side of the last two seasons.
Reply 3
Original post by barnetlad
No, compare them with recent Manchester City teams or indeed the Liverpool side of the last two seasons.

United were so gung-ho, dynamic, always scoring goals no matter the opposition, winning all the big trophies, lots of drama. A lot of speed and drive from Giggs and Keane, and goal threat from free kicks and crosses from Beckham. They attacked so much with the knowledge that they had Stam and Schemeichel to defend them. Super side to watch.
Reply 4
No they weren’t. Only scored 80 goals in the league and won it with 79 points, absolutely pathetic numbers considering how much better their squad was than everyone else except Arsenal at the time.
Original post by StarLinyx

as a huge Man U fan i would say nuance - the strength of the team was in the midfield (my all time premier league XI midfield would be all man u players) but our strikers were never as good as Henry or Shearer... best attacking side is probably Man City 2018
Reply 6
Original post by Mess.
No they weren’t. Only scored 80 goals in the league and won it with 79 points, absolutely pathetic numbers considering how much better their squad was than everyone else except Arsenal at the time.

Clearly you haven't watched their games in the EPL, FA Cup or Champions League.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Clearly you haven't watched their games in the EPL, FA Cup or Champions League. BTW, you are Asian, I can tell from how you communicated just now.

:rofl: solid racism. I’m white and grew up 3 miles from Anfield.

I’m old enough that I actually watched United of that generation unlike 90% of the people on here.

They were an amazing team but playing against absolute shite domestically, which is why they got shown up consistently over the Ferguson era when they went into Europe.
Reply 8
Original post by A Rolling Stone
as a huge Man U fan i would say nuance - the strength of the team was in the midfield (my all time premier league XI midfield would be all man u players) but our strikers were never as good as Henry or Shearer... best attacking side is probably Man City 2018

The treble winners of 1999 were more iconic and flambuoyant than any recent City side. History will remember United as one of the best club sides of all time. Their games in Europe in particular were swashbuckling and breathtaking to watch, even against the very best teams in Europe.
Original post by Mess.
:rofl: solid racism. I’m white and grew up 3 miles from Anfield.

I’m old enough that I actually watched United of that generation unlike 90% of the people on here.

They were an amazing team but playing against absolute shite domestically, which is why they got shown up consistently over the Ferguson era when they went into Europe.

There was both a poor domestic league and the three extra players they had, one with a whistle and a faulty watch, and two with flags.
Reply 10
Original post by barnetlad
There was both a poor domestic league and the three extra players they had, one with a whistle and a faulty watch, and two with flags.

And still the bias keeps coming . . .
(edited 3 years ago)
And still the bias keeps coming . . .

21 penalties awarded this season if I recall correctly. If Tom Daley cannot take part in Tokyo, there are some Man U players who can take his place.

In their period of time, sure. But Bayern the last season, Liverpool and Manchester City in 2019, Real Madrid and Barcelona in 2015 have performanced even better in attack playing in my opinion. So I would say United in 1999 was one of the most exciting teams, but not the most exciting team!
Reply 13
Original post by Kallisto
In their period of time, sure. But Bayern the last season, Liverpool and Manchester City in 2019, Real Madrid and Barcelona in 2015 have performanced even better in attack playing in my opinion. So I would say United in 1999 was one of the most exciting teams, but not the most exciting team!

United were more gung-ho than these sides, and they were driven on by the relentless Roy Keane, who was just brilliant that season.
United were more gung-ho than these sides, and they were driven on by the relentless Roy Keane, who was just brilliant that season.

They were beasts on the pitch, I will give them that. And that in a time when the competitors were stronger than these days. As far as I know they won the league with just one point ahead Arsenal.
Reply 15

I don’t think you are old enough to have actually watched the team :beard:
Reply 16
Original post by Kallisto
They were beasts on the pitch, I will give them that. And that in a time when the competitors were stronger than these days. As far as I know they won the league with just one point ahead Arsenal.

They played at another level in Europe, where they finished unbeaten against the likes of Barcelona, Bayern, Inter, Juve.
tbh since they removed the requirement for players to be from Manchester they have not been all that.
No
Reply 19
Lmao this might be the most ******ed thing I've ever read.

Quick Reply

Latest