The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcAndSpark
Welcome to the thread.

Hopefully, you'd be able to do an application this year knowing your autumn retake grade and your appeal grade, which will put you in a strong postion.

I wouldn't rely on clearing next year, as the courses you want may not be available.

Hi, if was to reapply would I have to write a new personal statement and would I be applying through the school or individually. Also are we applying with the grades we have now or a new set of predictions. Thanks
Original post by Super_M8rio
Hi, if was to reapply would I have to write a new personal statement and would I be applying through the school or individually. Also are we applying with the grades we have now or a new set of predictions. Thanks

You could use mostly the same personal statement, and maybe add in anything useful that you've done since you wrote your old one. It doesn't have to be totally new.

It depends if you'd be registered with your school as a student, if yes, through the school, if not then individually (but a teacher could still write your reference).

You'd list the grades you have now, your resit grades as pending and get new predictions OR you'd wait until December (assuming you aren't an oxbridge/med student) and apply with your resit results.
Just to clarify, am I supposed to get Leicester to send me an official offer through UCAS Track to explain my situation regarding deferral + Autumn exams, or is their verbal offer enough?
(edited 3 years ago)
I feel like I want to resit.
I got BBC when my CAGs were A*BB. Missed my offers for LSE and Southampton (was predicted A*AA pre covid) so that sucks.
I did Law, History and Sociology
Original post by goldenpoop
Great idea for us all to support each other.
I’m a resit student so I knew I was doing autumn exams a while ago.

My current grades: ABC (A - maths, B - chem , C - biology)
Resit subjects: Chem (EDX) and Bio (AQA)
Aiming for: AA
Offers; ARU (med), King’s (biochem)

Bit of background on my story if you’re interested...

I was very adamant on getting into med, however i’m a bit paranoid and was focused on everything else but my exams to help get me into med. Also, I put things off till last minute bc i want to do everything right and orderly, however last year was anything but that...

I ended up with B, 8 marks off an A in chem knowing full well I hadn’t covered everything. I could honestly count the marks I missed that would have gotten me an A which were all simply based on memorising the content.

I had several peeves about our bio exam board (eduqas) so I switched to AQA and I don’t regret it one bit. My mark for bio was 1 mark off a B, so I’m certain I can get an A feeling more confident in myself after all I had to go through to get an offer (applying with grades way off the requirements, constantly being knocked down by some unis with minimum ABB at first sitting and their refusing of my C even if it was only a mark off a B, being made to feel i’m not good enough for medicine bc i didn’t it right first time, doing the ucat, doing the personal statement and interviews...) It was a big risk for me to take this gap year, and a huge leap of faith in myself. A leap coming from someone who is so calculated about everything. I was so scared to apply to med in the fear I wouldn’t do everything perfectly by 15th october, I chickened out and said I would apply with achieved grades. What I realised this year is you need to take risks if you want to win big. I could’ve came out of this gap year with no offers at all, but I wouldn’t have lost anything - maybe my pride, but that had already been gone so I was in a position where I had nothing to lose. I’m so glad my risk paid off, and I am set on getting through this final hurdle.

At the moment I’m focusing on topic questions for bio and calculations for chem and planning on doing past papers from September. For chem I will be making sure facts are imprinted in my brain! As to not lose any crucial marks.
If you have any good tips on how to get A for bio lmk! Is learning the markscheme a good idea...

That’s another thing about learning with eduqas, I was very lost and it was a spec which focused on higher thinking questions and practical skills which our teachers neglected. There are no predictable questions or answers. Understandably they told us not to memorise the markscheme, but looking back what else could we have done? Teachers told us never to use the textbooks, even though they contain crucial detail unique to our spec. It was shambolic to say the least. But I’m wondering with AQA being a bit more straightforward, whether or not learning markschemes would be wise.

Hey How's bio going I'm doing AQA is well, I did all of the 2017 papers and just ab got into the A grade territory, am aiming for an A too!

What I'm doing now, for Bio is going through the past papers and going over what I did wrong, and yes printing of the markscheme I aim to get all the past papers done by September (Haven't done any bio today and got 15 more papers to hammer myself through so wish me luck!) Then, my plan is to go through examiner comments, mark scheme try and really analyse why it's this and not this. I.e when to use correlation does not mean causal relationship and when not to use it.

I'm saving the 2018 past papers to do as last minute, here's a final bench mark sort of thing.

I'm also going through the specification, and literally annotating, adding detail ticking of what I know, asterisking what I don't know going over those that I don't know.

I'm particularly struggling on sanger sequencing and bloody HW principle! Pain in the arse, bio is.

I'm also trying to do 25 markers in timed conditions it's taking me an hour roughly which is a pisstake lmfao.

How's yours going, is it similar in regards, would like an insight so I know I'm not wasting my time doing something the wrong way.

I hope I can get an A in the final exam! :smile: X

P.S I think we're twins, I did EDUQAS Wjec last year too for bio one mark of a B they wouldn't give it to me no matter how many times I remarked, and a lot of med schools were like look get back to us when you have that B (I got an A in my EPQ). And so I was stuck with ACC so annoying argh
(edited 3 years ago)
You could use mostly the same personal statement, and maybe add in anything useful that you've done since you wrote your old one. It doesn't have to be totally new.

It depends if you'd be registered with your school as a student, if yes, through the school, if not then individually (but a teacher could still write your reference).

You'd list the grades you have now, your resit grades as pending and get new predictions OR you'd wait until December (assuming you aren't an oxbridge/med student) and apply with your resit results.

How likely would you say it would be for unis to give a aaa unconditional offer to someone with aac for instance. So depressed rn :frown:
Welcome to the thread! It sounds like you have been really focused and organised so far- which is a great quality for a future doctor!

FWIW, as a bio teacher, I don't think learning mark schemes off by heart is a good idea, but you should familiarise yourself with mark schemes so you know the language and style the examiner will be looking for. I suggest doing a lot of past paper questions and marking them yourself to help improve your exam technique- and if a similar question does come up in the exam, then that's even better. You don't have to do whole past papers every time, just three or 4 questions on a topic regularly is enough!

I can link some good sources for past paper questions if you want!

Thank you! 😊
And yes, I wouldn’t say no to more questions, if you have a link that would be fab x
Also, what should be my priorities aside from understanding the content, i.e. should I focus heavily on practicals, rote memorising, past paper practice...
Today has been a roller coaster. Never thought my life would go in this direction but hey I guess that’s life.

My current grades: A-bio, A-Chem B- Maths
I needed an A in maths to get into uni.
Aim: AAA* (an A would be enough to get me into uni but aim high I guess)
Subject: Medicine
So far the uni has said that they’d defer my place to 2021 and if I get AAA I’ll get in. But that was just over the phone so I’m asking for more details on whether I have to do anything on UCAS (make a new account for 2021 entry or something. If any of you guys have any idea about this could you let me know)
Original post by Cloudiii
Current grades: B (biology), D (chemistry), D (maths).
Subjects resitting: Chemistry and maths
Grades hoping for: BBC and above, BBB preferably.
Wish me luck, am gonna need it :colonhash:

Omg me too and I'm aiming for the same grades
Current grades: CCD but should've got higher which is why I'm appealing all my grades
subjects retaking: Maths and chemistry
Grades I need: AAC, I want to aim as high as possible so that I work harder and not snooze off. If we really want it we would get it no matter what. Let's do it guys.
Planning to retake maths from a B to an A, appeal economics as I recieved an A in the mocks and they pushed me down to a C and retake Geography in the Summer as honestly cant believe I will able to do both maths and geography. Also r u guys gonna apply uni this year or just call up on results day next year, honestly very confused.

Hi @Super_M8rio,

I am very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your results.

Have you got an idea of what course you might study next year?

I wish you the very best of luck with the appeal and retaking your A levels.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield | Student Rep
Reply 31
Current Grades: BCD ( B - History, C in Maths and D in Physics)
Subjects Resitting: Maths and Physics
Grades you're hoping for: A in Maths, B in Physics
Any uni offers: Nottingham Trent

During my latest mocks, I had extenuating circumstances, I did my mocks at home. My school won’t let me appeal my mock grades because I didn’t do them at school but i’ve never got a D in Physics before so i was quite shocked :frown:
How are you guys revising?
I don't knowing going through my revision guide is good or not.
Biology resit, ucat exam and personal statement all in the next 2 months 😫 kill me now
Original post by Dexter345
Biology resit, ucat exam and personal statement all in the next 2 months 😫 kill me now

Good luck for that! You can do it if you manage your time well!

If you had an offer that you missed, you can call up the university and they’ll most likely defer you to 2021 so you won’t have to do the UCAT or personal statement. Only the bio exam.

You can do ittttt

I've got chem resit alongside and a job if that makes you feel better! xx
Original post by Marsharko
Just to clarify, am I supposed to get Leicester to send me an official offer through UCAS Track to explain my situation regarding deferral + Autumn exams, or is their verbal offer enough?

They should eventually update track, but it probably won't be a priority. Do get something in writing though- and email is fine.

Email them and say something like "Further to our conversation, you have agreed to defer my place to 2021 conditional on me achieving [grades] in my resits. Please can you confirm if this is correct, and will you update track to reflect this."
Original post by CrazyJadey2001
I feel like I want to resit.
I got BBC when my CAGs were A*BB. Missed my offers for LSE and Southampton (was predicted A*AA pre covid) so that sucks.
I did Law, History and Sociology

Sorry to hear this. Resitting is definitely an option. Do you have mock grades you might be able to use to appeal?

Can you speak to LSE and Southampton and see if they will offer you a deferred place?

How likely would you say it would be for unis to give a aaa unconditional offer to someone with aac for instance. So depressed rn :frown:

If you already have AAC and you're resitting, it wouldn't be impossible. But unis are being pushed away from unconditional offers, so it may not happen.

Try not to be too depressed. AAC are still good grades and you will be able to improve!

Original post by goldenpoop
Thank you! 😊
And yes, I wouldn’t say no to more questions, if you have a link that would be fab x
Also, what should be my priorities aside from understanding the content, i.e. should I focus heavily on practicals, rote memorising, past paper practice...

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ This site is great for science past paper questions organised by topic (not just physics and maths). They've got lots for AQA IIRC.

Learn the content first (however works for you) including practicals, and then do past paper questions. I think you need an even split BUT prioritise topics that you would "RAG" as Amber- this is where you can make the most improvements in a short space of time. Do past paper practice for green topics, too!
Original post by Student+
Today has been a roller coaster. Never thought my life would go in this direction but hey I guess that’s life.

My current grades: A-bio, A-Chem B- Maths
I needed an A in maths to get into uni.
Aim: AAA* (an A would be enough to get me into uni but aim high I guess)
Subject: Medicine
So far the uni has said that they’d defer my place to 2021 and if I get AAA I’ll get in. But that was just over the phone so I’m asking for more details on whether I have to do anything on UCAS (make a new account for 2021 entry or something. If any of you guys have any idea about this could you let me know)

Get the deferral confirmed in writing now- well done for getting that sorted. Eventually, UCAS should be updated, but it may not happen straight away.

Good luck with maths- it doesn't sound like you are too far off getting an A, so I am sure you'll be able to smash it!

Original post by SKhagrid
Current grades: CCD but should've got higher which is why I'm appealing all my grades
subjects retaking: Maths and chemistry
Grades I need: AAC, I want to aim as high as possible so that I work harder and not snooze off. If we really want it we would get it no matter what. Let's do it guys.

This sounds good. Hopefully you get some positive responses from your appeals as well! AAC is totally achievable, as long as you're prepared to work hard!

Original post by ohmy22
Current Grades: BCD ( B - History, C in Maths and D in Physics)
Subjects Resitting: Maths and Physics
Grades you're hoping for: A in Maths, B in Physics
Any uni offers: Nottingham Trent

During my latest mocks, I had extenuating circumstances, I did my mocks at home. My school won’t let me appeal my mock grades because I didn’t do them at school but i’ve never got a D in Physics before so i was quite shocked :frown:

That's such a shame about your mocks. Depending on what is said next week, your school may change their mind, but unfortunately I can see their PoV that a mock done at home may not be a "valid mock". I can imagine a D in physics is a real shock. Have you talked to your school to make sure that wasn't a mistake?

However, it sounds like you should be able to improve your grades and ABB would be a good outcome. If Nottingham Trent are holding a place for you, that's great too!

Good luck!
Original post by SKhagrid
How are you guys revising?
I don't knowing going through my revision guide is good or not.

Going through a revision guide is a good start, but active revision (where you're actively making notes or testing yourself is better)- and lots of past paper practice too!

That does sound really tough, but we have faith in you.

Hopefully there are bits of last year's PS you can use so it doesn't have to all be from scratch?

If you want any help with bio, please shout!
hey just a question, other than receiving ur actual results earlier, why do the autumn exams and not the summer 2021 exams? the 2021 exams are still considered a first sitting so why choose to do the autumn ones?
Original post by Youtube - Akku S
Good luck for that! You can do it if you manage your time well!

Thanks man appreciate it

Latest