CBNS
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey guys, so i got my results for a a levels today and unfortunately didn’t get into my firm or insurance so i went for clearing. I chose city university of london to do business management and they gave me an offer. However, city aren’t ranked that high in the charts however for business they are top 15 in the uk. However other universities I’m interested in such as surrey and royal holloway are rated higher in the rankings but specifically for business they are less than city. Im not sure which would be the better option here and should I phone up these universities just in case to see if I get another offer or should i just stick with city as they’ve accepted me?
Lau2en _
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Choose whatever course you like the best, it doesn’t matter where you go as long as you enjoy it
CBNS
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Lau2en _)
Choose whatever course you like the best, it doesn’t matter where you go as long as you enjoy it
Yeah that’s true but I also want to increase my chance of getting hired as employers I’m assuming are more likely to higher individuals who come from higher ranking universities which is why I’m quite unsure
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CBNS)
Hey guys, so i got my results for a a levels today and unfortunately didn’t get into my firm or insurance so i went for clearing. I chose city university of london to do business management and they gave me an offer. However, city aren’t ranked that high in the charts however for business they are top 15 in the uk. However other universities I’m interested in such as surrey and royal holloway are rated higher in the rankings but specifically for business they are less than city. Im not sure which would be the better option here and should I phone up these universities just in case to see if I get another offer or should i just stick with city as they’ve accepted me?
Look at the modules, teaching quality (tef), the cities and culture of the unis.
Just a few things to consider
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You could also check out the employment stats of the courses, if that is something that is important to you. Work experience and interview performance are probably more important though
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CBNS)
Did you add City as a Track choice? It gets slightly more complicated after that as you have to ask the uni to release you, which takes time. If you have not, it might be worth phoning around today (after taking the other users' advice about researching them) and seeing if there is anywhere else you like. However, keep in mind any timescales City gave you as most unis tell you to add them as a choice on Track within 24hrs or something similar.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CBNS)
Hi CBNS,

Firstly congratulations on being offered a place- even if the grades you were awarded didn't reflect what you feel you deserved, hopefully you can still have a brilliant university experience. The situation you have been placed in is absolutely surreal to almost any other year group so please be proud of yourself for that. With regards to ranking, I personally would prioritise the ranking of the course as that would be my main reason for studying there (however I am aware that ranking of the university in general is a combination of factors including facilities, investment and also student satisfaction). If you have the time I would definitely do some more research and look at the modules of the courses (if they differ then what appeals to you more?) and the opportunities which are provided (whether this be partner organisations for placements, international opportunities and other such activities to build your CV).

If you are considering other universities, then as a business management with marketing student myself I would definitely recommend checking out Hull's offering which can be found here: https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergr...gement-ba-hons

Best of luck with everything,
Millie
Student Rep
MissScarlet24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Prioritise the ranking of the course- the quality of course and lecturers is the most useful thing to you and as you're doing business, you might get good networking opportunities.

If you're worried that people won't recognise the uni name on your degree, you can mention how it's a great university to study business so you chose it because you're committed to pursuing a career in business. Something along those lines to show your employer that the degree is more than a bit of paper to you and puts a good spin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.27%
I'm not sure (33)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (239)
30.8%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.23%

Watched Threads