The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Commute from Leamington to Warwick University... Annoying?

Hi

I was looking at living in Leamington while at Warwick.
I have seen that its like 7miles out (furthest ive seen from any university) and I was wondering how annoying the commute is?

Also, with most students living 10-15mins WALK from their respective universities, I am worried that this living arrangement takes away from the student community, and creates more of a "work commute" type vibe.

If anyone has any insight into this, I would appreciate it!
There is definitely a massive student community in Leamington. I've been at Warwick for the last 4 years and I lived in Leamington for my last 3 years. It doesn't feel like a work commute at all. Pretty much all of the main bars and club venues will be full of other Warwick students on most nights.

The commute is probably the only annoying thing about it. The road into the campus is single-laned which leads to daily backlogs of traffic at 4-6pm and its especially annoying when you can't sit on the bus. However, if you time the buses well (e.g. use stagecoach bus app) and get buses at 20-35 past the hour you can usually get seats.

Despite the journey, I would still recommend living in Leamington vastly over Coventry or Canley. I know of several people who felt unsafe in those places.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Yeah, Leam's great but the commute is pretty pants lol. If you live anywhere north of the church then its impossible to get on in the morning, the bus will be full already and will drive right past you. I lived in the south last year and usually got on ok but had to stand most of the time. I bet its going to be even worse this year with buses only allowed to be half full.
Reply 3
Original post by WarwickMaths281
Yeah, Leam's great but the commute is pretty pants lol. If you live anywhere north of the church then its impossible to get on in the morning, the bus will be full already and will drive right past you. I lived in the south last year and usually got on ok but had to stand most of the time. I bet its going to be even worse this year with buses only allowed to be half full.

Yeah I can imagine how frustrating that would be, how do students actually commute if these buses are constantly full etc?
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I can imagine how frustrating that would be, how do students actually commute if these buses are constantly full etc?

A couple of my mates lived in the north and got a bus back down into the town, got off in the south, crossed the road then got back on a bus to the uni. Or some people get the 17 bus which doesn't go to uni but there's a stop that leaves you a 15 minute walk away, but the bus goes on a longer route through another town.
Reply 5
Original post by WarwickMaths281
A couple of my mates lived in the north and got a bus back down into the town, got off in the south, crossed the road then got back on a bus to the uni. Or some people get the 17 bus which doesn't go to uni but there's a stop that leaves you a 15 minute walk away, but the bus goes on a longer route through another town.

Damnn that seems like a lot of effort haha

I saw this: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/midlands/warwick-and-leamington-unibus and thought they were actively trying to make it better but seems not lol
Original post by Anonymous

The buses are usually very regular, there is just a bit of a rush 2hours between 4 and 6 daily and a lesser one around 9am. Some people drive and get ubers from campus to Leamington but this makes little difference since the main reason traffic gets bad is the single lane into the campus.

The stagecoach app is really good and fairly reliable, and has GPS which shows where all the buses are.
Leamington is a fun place to live with a lot going on and so many things to do! Saying that, the commute can indeed be a bit of a pain!

Quick Reply

Latest