The Student Room Group

Dropping a subject

I am in 10th-grade right now and I have chosen additional mathematics/ hl mathematics since 9th. But my marks have only been ranging between D-Us when it comes to summative. I don't have a deep interest in maths and I only took hl maths to test my capabilities. I cannot risk getting another bad grade. My question is if I end up dropping hl maths will it impact my future, like when I apply to a university??
Original post by student_555
I am in 10th-grade right now and I have chosen additional mathematics/ hl mathematics since 9th. But my marks have only been ranging between D-Us when it comes to summative. I don't have a deep interest in maths and I only took hl maths to test my capabilities. I cannot risk getting another bad grade. My question is if I end up dropping hl maths will it impact my future, like when I apply to a university??

Is this England and are we talking GCSE or A level or other? Is this Scotland?
Reply 2
Are you asking about university or the school I am going to ?
Reply 3
Are you asking about university or the school I am going to ?

I think it just wasn't clear which education system you were studying under. You said "10th grade" when most people say "Year 10" and you referred to hl maths which sounds like the Scottish qualification system.
Reply 4
Original post by davros
I think it just wasn't clear which education system you were studying under. You said "10th grade" when most people say "Year 10" and you referred to hl maths which sounds like the Scottish qualification system.

well I am in year 10, IGCSE and plan to do IBDP in year 11 and 12....
Reply 5
well I am in year 10, IGCSE and plan to do IBDP in year 11 and 12....

Oh right.

I'm not familiar with the structure of the IB I'm afraid so maybe someone else will be along to help you :smile:

Also if you're planning to apply to a UK university it may be worth posting the question in the TSR subforum for that university to check what the exact requirements are.
Reply 6
Original post by davros
Oh right.

I'm not familiar with the structure of the IB I'm afraid so maybe someone else will be along to help you :smile:

Also if you're planning to apply to a UK university it may be worth posting the question in the TSR subforum for that university to check what the exact requirements are.

ok thank you

Quick Reply

Latest