The Student Room Group

A-level Protests

So after the rather disastrous results of the new A-level grading system the government have used we can not just sit back as people lose their future to a postcode lottery and systemic bias.

I imagine there will be protests and I would like to arrange the time/location for them in this thread, as well as spreading awareness for others so that the government takes notice and gives people their future back.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
True that nothing will change with a mindset like this, protests in Scotland yielded a result for students and media backlash in England is much worse. If sufficient numbers of us were to protest and gain enough traction I can GUARANTEE that they will make changes.
This post code lottery is totally ridiculous. What all students need to organise is organise a mass protest on social media, demonstrating that that are totally dissatisfied with this system that discriminates but respect social distancing
The system changed in Scotland and the appeals system changed slightly for the IB. If there is a chance that things will change, people might as well protest. They've got very little to lose.
Reply 4
27E8D22E-B1AB-43A9-A8AD-C18F31BBBCA5.jpeg
Original post by epicnm
27E8D22E-B1AB-43A9-A8AD-C18F31BBBCA5.jpeg

You expect people to go to London on a days notice? I know it's time sensitive because of uni but I doubt you'll get the result this way...
Reply 6
Original post by 2_versions
You expect people to go to London on a days notice? I know it's time sensitive because of uni but I doubt you'll get the result this way...

No, but some people already in London are going to protest at Downing Street today, so I was sharing the poster. And student protests worked in Scotland were Nicola Sturgeon was forced to make a U-turn in grades.

Not everyone needs to turn up. There weren't that many people at the Scottish protests but it still got onto the news.
Original post by epicnm
No, but some people already in London are going to protest at Downing Street today, so I was sharing the poster. And student protests worked in Scotland were Nicola Sturgeon was forced to make a U-turn in grades.

Original post by Lightning720
Not everyone needs to turn up. There weren't that many people at the Scottish protests but it still got onto the news.

Very true, I do hope they change the system in time for some to get into their firms... I thought they would have changed it from pressure from the news by now... they've been grilling the government for the past 36 hours now with no response. Pretty disappointing coming from a government that's supposed to be one nation... they've dissuaded too many people from university this year. I get it's not entirely their fault but I think it's pretty clear that nobody is going to be looking back on Boris' government and think it's the one to bridge the gap between inequalities.
Reply 9
Original post by yancylee
So after the rather disastrous results of the new A-level grading system the government have used we can not just sit back as people lose their future to a postcode lottery and systemic bias.

I imagine there will be protests and I would like to arrange the time/location for them in this thread, as well as spreading awareness for others so that the government takes notice and gives people their future back.

No! The govt can only do this to us if we allow them. This is a democracy... use our right to protest.
Reply 10
Very true, I do hope they change the system in time for some to get into their firms... I thought they would have changed it from pressure from the news by now... they've been grilling the government for the past 36 hours now with no response. Pretty disappointing coming from a government that's supposed to be one nation... they've dissuaded too many people from university this year. I get it's not entirely their fault but I think it's pretty clear that nobody is going to be looking back on Boris' government and think it's the one to bridge the gap between inequalities.

I feel like when next week, Ofqual publishes in full it’s mock appeals process and with GCSE results day, there will be further backlash which could cause the government to be backed into a corner. The figures Ofqual have released already show private schools having the biggest rise in A/A* grades and I expect the same will happen next week. But when has this government ever taken inequality seriously!
I work at a university and felt heartbroken yesterday having so many distressed students on the phone. I could only begin to imagine their anxiety and stress, but also for their parents. My daughter gets her GCSE results next week and is very concerned after yesterday. I strongly suggest the UK students stand up to this cruel injustice the way Scotland's students did. We should all be on a level playing field - after all, we're meant to be the 'united' kingdom. I would also like to remind students of Boris's promise on announcing lockdown and cancellation of exams. He told us that no student would be disadvantaged, that all grades would reflect the hard work put in by students, and that we should 'trust the teachers'. Is this government really still making this statement today?? Erm, nope. They just keep telling everyone it's the fairest way. I know of a student who was predicted AAA and rarely got anything lower in anything. He was awarded CDE. Based on what? Previous students at his schools ability? Or a poorer school? Unbelievable. I think this government has blood on its hands with the pandemic but now they can add students mental health too. Come on guys - get everyone onboard (safely) and make as much noise as possible!!
How many people have showed up to the Downing Street protest today? Anywhere I can follow them on social media or where I can see updates? I plan to write to MP's and I think as many people as possible should attend these protests but for those that perhaps can't, we just need to keep the pressure up so that they can't just ride this news story out.
Labour have made a petition to sign. Worth giving it a sign almost 40,000. If we sit back they'll screw us all
Original post by GammaOfi
Labour have made a petition to sign. Worth giving it a sign almost 40,000. If we sit back they'll screw us all

Hi can I ask where to sign this petition please? :smile:
Original post by Schnuckiboo
Hi can I ask where to sign this petition please? :smile:

If you go to "uklabour" on Instagram, they have a link in their bio that takes you to a petition. Would be nice for more people to sign it
Reply 16
7C495075-5633-428F-AE63-2E408C35D3AE.jpeg0108ED1D-A890-456C-95A2-F57CC488A59E.jpeg8A9992D8-1159-4B33-8B05-861403EBE747.jpeg07917793-ACBA-4635-9010-AA4FF03C8753.jpeg4679A485-BF86-41FE-9612-8223B2D1E22C.jpeg0F97E760-44B0-4025-9F49-1D50F8CDD376.jpegC3B188FC-BED1-4676-B000-D72036225CD0.jpeg83AF8C0C-444E-41CA-B32A-F8FE9A5C002B.jpeg
no, you're wrong. If people kick up a fuss things will change: look at Scotland. They may not remove moderation but it may force them to speed up the appealing process, so we don't miss the 7th of September deadline presented by our universities. Either way, change or not, you should fight for what's right. You've got a boxer (golovkin perhaps?) as your picture, so as a fellow fighter you should know all about fighting, boss. Or do we rollover when were dealt with injustice?

Quick Reply

Latest