The Student Room Group

Help with clearing choices please?

I've received some clearing offers and I'm waiting for some others. The only thing I honestly care about is ranking and nightlife. I know some people will say ranking is not everything, but to my parents it is and if I can't justify how good the uni is to them (with some trusted ranking source or something as proof) then they won't support me with any expenses.

Anyways out of: Dundee, Kent, Lincoln, Essex, Leceister, Swansea
which ones would you say come out on top for what I want?
Ranking for what subject?
Considering nightlife, I'd already exclude Dundee and, probably also Lincoln and Swansea.
Reply 2
Original post by lucas02
Ranking for what subject?
Considering nightlife, I'd already exclude Dundee and, probably also Lincoln and Swansea.

Psychology and ranking in general.
Reply 3
Kent has a *massive* Psychology department, which is a good sign the modules will be really varied and based on cutting-edge research; it also means there will be loads of visiting speaker events so you can learn from the people who visit as well.

I'd have to stalk the other departments to see how it compares...can do...
Hey @Imfukd :smile:

Congratulations on receiving 6 clearing offers, that’s brilliant and you have some really great universities to choose from!

If it helps at all, I can share some information about Swansea.

Rankings:
31st in UK / Top in Wales (Times & Sunday Times 2020).
Winner - University of the Year (What Uni Student Choice Awards (WUSCA) 2019) voted for BY students
6th in the UK for Overall Student Satisfaction (Based on a list of 131 institutions that appear in the Times Good University Guide NSS 2020)
UK Top 5 for Career Prospects (Guardian 2020)
Gold Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Rating Introduced by the government in 2017 to provide a resource for students to judge teaching quality. Universities are classified gold, silver or bronze. These ratings are determined by six core metrics based on teaching, academic support and progression to employment. (TEF)
UK Top 30 (Research Excellence Framework 2014) Ranked 26th in the UK.

As for nightlife, we have just been voted the 9th best city for student nightlife (Student Hut, 2020) Wind Street is definitely the place to go!

The Students’ Union is planning events when you arrive you will still get a Freshers’ week. Some of the activities will be online, some in person, where it is safe to do so.

You’ll still be able to join clubs and societies check out our Instagram account to see what societies have been up to. There will be activities you can do in person, with some online events as well

I hope this helps a little. Good luck with your decision, wherever you pick, I’m sure you will have a great experience! :biggrin:

Emily :smile:
Reply 5
My brain is fried I don't know what to choose I keep hearing equally good things from kent dundee and swansea.

Original post by LWare
Kent has a *massive* Psychology department, which is a good sign the modules will be really varied and based on cutting-edge research; it also means there will be loads of visiting speaker events so you can learn from the people who visit as well.

I'd have to stalk the other departments to see how it compares...can do...

Have you got any clue about the nightlife at Kent?
I prefer to use the official world universities ranking (https://www.topuniversities.com/qs-world-university-rankings and https://www.topuniversities.com/qs-world-university-rankings )...I'll use Swansea as a comparison since they replied above (sorry).
- According to the QS world ranking Essex is 411 (Swansea 474), THE world ranking Essex is 251-300 (same Swansea).
- According to the QS world ranking in Psychology, Essex is 151-200 (Swansea >1000), THE world ranking in Psychology, Essex is 251-300 (Swansea 301-400).
- Essex was University of the Year 2018. Essex is gold TEF.
- For Psychology (Research Excellence Framework 2014) Ranked 13th in the UK.

Essex is a campus, so you got 2 pubs and 2 clubs in campus, with 15,000 students living in campus, so it is very lively and fun. There are other recent posts talking about Essex life https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=90409274&highlight=essex
Original post by Imfukd
I've received some clearing offers and I'm waiting for some others. The only thing I honestly care about is ranking and nightlife. I know some people will say ranking is not everything, but to my parents it is and if I can't justify how good the uni is to them (with some trusted ranking source or something as proof) then they won't support me with any expenses.

Anyways out of: Dundee, Kent, Lincoln, Essex, Leceister, Swansea
which ones would you say come out on top for what I want?

Hi @Imfukd,

Congratulations on your offer at the University of Lincoln!
Our University is ranked in the top 20 UK universities in the Guardian University Guide 2020. It is also rated Gold the highest standard possible for Teaching Excellence Framework. This is a good reflection of the network between students and staff here at Lincoln. Click here for more statistics, reviews and rating by students on different aspects of the University.

Hope this message was a good insight for you, any more question feel free to message us on here or UniBuddy!
Natt :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending