The Student Room Group

School problems

I want to go to school but I can’t because my parents are not letting me because of COVID-19 and they are scared I’m going to get infected.They sometimes get mad at me for not being scared of COVID-19.Since they can get fined and have problems with the government for not sending me to school they decided to lie,Lie to my new teachers that I was sick (Im not actually) and that I don’t want to go to school (I do want to go) They even told me what to say if the teachers want to talk to me on the phone! I’m scared I’m not going to catch up with my peers because I’m not in school and I’m supposed to be starting a new year.Im under 18 and live in the UK so I’m meant to be in school right now! My parents are planning to send me back to school when they find a vaccine or when quarantine is over.But I’m afraid I’ll have to miss 2 or 1 year of learning because the government keeps opening the pubs and beaches so then more people will get infected.I just want to do what’s right.Should I lie with my parents or not?

Please give me some advice 😖
Original post by Anonymous
I want to go to school but I can’t because my parents are not letting me because of COVID-19 and they are scared I’m going to get infected.They sometimes get mad at me for not being scared of COVID-19.Since they can get fined and have problems with the government for not sending me to school they decided to lie,Lie to my new teachers that I was sick (Im not actually) and that I don’t want to go to school (I do want to go) They even told me what to say if the teachers want to talk to me on the phone! I’m scared I’m not going to catch up with my peers because I’m not in school and I’m supposed to be starting a new year.Im under 18 and live in the UK so I’m meant to be in school right now! My parents are planning to send me back to school when they find a vaccine or when quarantine is over.But I’m afraid I’ll have to miss 2 or 1 year of learning because the government keeps opening the pubs and beaches so then more people will get infected.I just want to do what’s right.Should I lie with my parents or not?

Don't lie with your parents. This is your future and they are destroying it. Even if you contract covid, there is a low chance of being affected by it due to your age.

Speak to your parents and tell them that you do what to attend school and explain the impact of not going to school. If they still refuse then reach out to your school. It is your future and not your mama’s or papa’s future. All the best.
Moved to the Secondary school section :smile:

Your parents can't make you stay at home and not go to school. Can you reach out to a trusted adult like a teacher? This may have to be in September.
Original post by Asetheticmoo
I don’t think I can right now I’m so scared that they will get mad and never let me to school ever again because it’s very likely they will do that.

That wont happen. They will face the full force of the law. You need to attend school.
Reply 4
maybe try and compromise? like telling your parents that you’ll put on a mask outside at all times and maintaining social distancing so that the possibility of you contracting COVID-19 would be very low. maybe say that you would go straight to and back from school without taking any detours or something. also, perhaps talk about how not attending school could lead to huge fines and you wouldn’t be able to learn enough info to catch up with your peers.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Moved to the Secondary school section :smile:

Your parents can't make you stay at home and not go to school. Can you reach out to a trusted adult like a teacher? This may have to be in September.

Original post by Anonymous

Ok,so update.This is my 3rd day missing school I told my mum about how I want to go to school and all she did was moan at me about how dangerous it was and how I don’t understand the consequences of getting COVID-19 and that we can all die because if I get infected she will get infected too.I feel sort of selfish for wanting to go but at the same time I don’t,I’m
starting to wonder why the government hasn’t fined her yet,I’m missing out so much to the point I just want to scream and my parents then call it a day.
Ok,so update.This is my 3rd day missing school I told my mum about how I want to go to school and all she did was moan at me about how dangerous it was and how I don’t understand the consequences of getting COVID-19 and that we can all die because if I get infected she will get infected too.I feel sort of selfish for wanting to go but at the same time I don’t,I’m
starting to wonder why the government hasn’t fined her yet,I’m missing out so much to the point I just want to scream and my parents then call it a day.

Isn't it the summer holidays? :holmes:

Anyway, does she not understand that measures are in place in schools to prevent the spread? Does she not leave the house at all? Doesn't she go to the supermarket or anywhere? If so, supermarkets are probably more likely than schools to be a place where its spread (still low risk). If she's not leaving the house then she needs to seek support for her mental health e.g. anxiety. It's one thing being cautious, but this virus is not just going to go away, it'll be around for a long time - she can't just shut off the world from you all.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Isn't it the summer holidays? :holmes:

Anyway, does she not understand that measures are in place in schools to prevent the spread? Does she not leave the house at all? Doesn't she go to the supermarket or anywhere? If so, supermarkets are probably more likely than schools to be a place where its spread (still low risk). If she's not leaving the house then she needs to seek support for her mental health e.g. anxiety. It's one thing being cautious, but this virus is not just going to go away, it'll be around for a long time - she can't just shut off the world from you all.

It’s not the summer holidays,She does not really understand because she hasn’t seen for herself, even if she did see it for herself she will probably say “Better to be safe than sorry.” But she does go to the supermarket occasionally.But often she will hurt herself on the way since she has to buy a lot of stuff and they are quite heavy then she will take it out on me and my siblings.I think she’s just a bit paranoid,I don’t really know.
It’s not the summer holidays,She does not really understand because she hasn’t seen for herself, even if she did see it for herself she will probably say “Better to be safe than sorry.” But she does go to the supermarket occasionally.But often she will hurt herself on the way since she has to buy a lot of stuff and they are quite heavy then she will take it out on me and my siblings.I think she’s just a bit paranoid,I don’t really know.

You said you’re in the UK though and no school so open in August...
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
You said you’re in the UK though and no school so open in August...

My secondary school is opened somehow and so is my brother’s primary school,So I’m not sure what is happening atm butttt 🧐
My secondary school is opened somehow and so is my brother’s primary school,So I’m not sure what is happening atm butttt 🧐

Is it always open during the summer? 🧐
Tbh no one is acc following social distancing rules in school and I think that's the worry of parents .I am in year 10 so for me schools opened on the 15th of June but my parents didn't let me go until the last day of school to collect my folders and textbooks.When I arrived at school that day,I was shocked cause no one was following social distancing rules and I tried but gave up.Even at break,we we were sat together as usual and even teachers didn't really say anything

Do you like in Scotland or England? Only Scotland’s schools are open during this period. Most schools are closed.
Original post by Wired_1800
Do you like in Scotland or England? Only Scotland’s schools are open during this period. Most schools are closed.

Scotland.
Original post by foreverrocking
Tbh no one is acc following social distancing rules in school and I think that's the worry of parents .I am in year 10 so for me schools opened on the 15th of June but my parents didn't let me go until the last day of school to collect my folders and textbooks.When I arrived at school that day,I was shocked cause no one was following social distancing rules and I tried but gave up.Even at break,we we were sat together as usual and even teachers didn't really say anything

Yeah same at my school but we do a one way system to move around the school some of us wore masks and the teachers made sure we wash our hands daily during school time.
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Is it always open during the summer? 🧐

No,I think it’s just this time.
Apparently if I don’t catch up with my peers If I go back then my parents are going to hire tutors ;( I know this is for the best but I somehow feel like this is for their own benefit,I can’t help but start to resent them now. :frown:
Apparently if I don’t catch up with my peers If I go back then my parents are going to hire tutors ;( I know this is for the best but I somehow feel like this is for their own benefit,I can’t help but start to resent them now. :frown:

Reach out to your school. Dont just sit there and allow your life to waste away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending