The Student Room Group

When do I have to accept an offer

How long do I have to accept my offers?

I have been told many different time frames. UCAS said that I need to respond by the 1st however I received an email saying that you normally have to respond within 5 days. I've emailed the uni but they are yet to respond.

This is for an alternate/changed course.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arnglo
How long do I have to accept my offers?

I have been told many different time frames. UCAS said that I need to respond by the 1st however I received an email saying that you normally have to respond within 5 days. I've emailed the uni but they are yet to respond.

This is for an alternate/changed course.

Each uni will be different - it may be 24/48hrs, or 5 days (or something else!), for example (this is for offers through Clearing)
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Each uni will be different - it may be 24/48hrs, or 5 days (or something else!), for example (this is for offers through Clearing)

The offer is from my firm - I didn't quite reach the grades however if I meet them after appeals I am allowed on the original course (so I want to understand whats happening with appeals before I decide). When I press 'reply to my offers' it says 'You still have 20 days to reply to your offer(s). Think carefully about your decision. You must submit your reply by 1 Sep 2020.'

Should I just follow this deadline then?
Original post by arnglo
The offer is from my firm - I didn't quite reach the grades however if I meet them after appeals I am allowed on the original course (so I want to understand whats happening with appeals before I decide). When I press 'reply to my offers' it says 'You still have 20 days to reply to your offer(s). Think carefully about your decision. You must submit your reply by 1 Sep 2020.'

What does it currently say for your firm and insurance? Maybe post a screenshot (removing your personal details!)

If your firm accepts you following the appeal, you shouldn't need to do anything
Reply 4
Here is the next steps, reply to offers and a letter from UCAS. From this I would imagine that it is the 1st Sep.
Original post by arnglo

Im also confused about this. I got an email from my firm (when my conditional was changed to unconditional with foundation year) stating 'please note if you have another application with another University you will need to wait until they have made their confirmation decisions before you can accept our offer.
It is important that you do this within the next 5 days otherwise our offer will expire, and you will no longer have a place here.' but then UCAS states I have until 30th August.

Confusing
Original post by aisharaindrop
Im also confused about this. I got an email from my firm (when my conditional was changed to unconditional with foundation year) stating 'please note if you have another application with another University you will need to wait until they have made their confirmation decisions before you can accept our offer.
It is important that you do this within the next 5 days otherwise our offer will expire, and you will no longer have a place here.' but then UCAS states I have until 30th August.

Confusing

By the looks of it, you've got an Unconditional Course Change (UCC) offer, which you do need to respond to (unlike a uni just accepting you outright). UCCs have a deadline of 5 days (here: https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/unconditional-changed-course) to reply. Best to contact the uni and explain, but you will want to accept it so you don't lose your place
By the looks of it, you've got an Unconditional Course Change (UCC) offer, which you do need to respond to (unlike a uni just accepting you outright). UCCs have a deadline of 5 days (here: https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/unconditional-changed-course) to reply. Best to contact the uni and explain, but you will want to accept it so you don't lose your place

Thank you!
I basically don't want to do a foundation year as I had already resit a year in college and don't think the foundation year would be any beneficial for me especially since I'm only 8 Ucas points away from their entry requirements and I'm going to.be appealing my grades anyway so I want to call my firm up and ask them if I accept this offer with foundation and my appeal comes back with higher grades, will you accept me onto a full course without the foundation year. Do you think it's worth taking the risk?
Thank you!
I basically don't want to do a foundation year as I had already resit a year in college and don't think the foundation year would be any beneficial for me especially since I'm only 8 Ucas points away from their entry requirements and I'm going to.be appealing my grades anyway so I want to call my firm up and ask them if I accept this offer with foundation and my appeal comes back with higher grades, will you accept me onto a full course without the foundation year. Do you think it's worth taking the risk?

If the appeal is successful and comes back within the deadline they need to accept you, but there's no guarantee of that of course. Contact them asap
If the appeal is successful and comes back within the deadline they need to accept you, but there's no guarantee of that of course. Contact them asap

I don't think the appeal will take less than 5 days though, that process used to be 6 weeks, obviously right now no information is being given regarding appeals until next week. And I don't have that much time 😭
I don't think the appeal will take less than 5 days though, that process used to be 6 weeks, obviously right now no information is being given regarding appeals until next week. And I don't have that much time 😭

The deadline for appeals is early September (7th I think) - unis need to accept you if you get them back by then. What would you do if it wasn't successful? Do autumn exams or do the UCC?
The deadline for appeals is early September (7th I think) - unis need to accept you if you get them back by then. What would you do if it wasn't successful? Do autumn exams or do the UCC?

Okay so I called my firm who offered me the course with foundation year and told them I will be appealing my grades and really do not want to do a foundation year (I'm only 8 Ucas points off from their entry requirements) and they basically told me to ask my college how long the appeals would take and I said its not clear yet but probably will take more than 5 days. My firm told me 'universities don't hold offers and to call back on open day and ask the academic staff there about my options?
I even mentioned 'aren't universities meant to hold offers until 7th September' and she kinda brushed it off and said you basically have 5 days to make your mind up of where you want to go
I don't want to do the autumn exams as I already resit a year. Im basically being told I need to accept either my firm or insurance within 5 days and if I don't both my offers will expire?
Okay so I called my firm who offered me the course with foundation year and told them I will be appealing my grades and really do not want to do a foundation year (I'm only 8 Ucas points off from their entry requirements) and they basically told me to ask my college how long the appeals would take and I said its not clear yet but probably will take more than 5 days. My firm told me 'universities don't hold offers and to call back on open day and ask the academic staff there about my options?
I even mentioned 'aren't universities meant to hold offers until 7th September' and she kinda brushed it off and said you basically have 5 days to make your mind up of where you want to go
I don't want to do the autumn exams as I already resit a year. Im basically being told I need to accept either my firm or insurance within 5 days and if I don't both my offers will expire?

Can you tell us the name of the uni (either on here or PM)? If you meet the requirements, then they need to hold your place on your original course until 7th September. The CS have a link to UCAS and we can pass it on to them
Can you tell us the name of the uni (either on here or PM)? If you meet the requirements, then they need to hold your place on your original course until 7th September. The CS have a link to UCAS and we can pass it on to them

I have PM'd you. Both my firm and insurance said I need to accept either my firm or insurance within 5 days and if I don't both my offers will expire? If I don't get the grades from the appeal, can I still go to my insurance as I don't want to do a foundation year? Im confused because im being told I have 5 days to make my mind up then im being told I have until 7th September. Obviously if I wait for the appeal to come back, it will be past 5 days and I don't want to risk losing both my firm and insurance and be put into clearing
Im so confused now
I have PM'd you. Both my firm and insurance said I need to accept either my firm or insurance within 5 days and if I don't both my offers will expire? If I don't get the grades from the appeal, can I still go to my insurance as I don't want to do a foundation year? Im confused because im being told I have 5 days to make my mind up then im being told I have until 7th September. Obviously if I wait for the appeal to come back, it will be past 5 days and I don't want to risk losing both my firm and insurance and be put into clearing
Im so confused now

7th September isn't for you - it's for the unis regarding appeals. UCCs have the 5 day deadline as above. People will have been rejected outright from their firm but hoping to go there through the appeal... Do you have an unconditional from your insurance uni?
Yes I have unconditional. What do you suppose I do, I want to go to my firm but without the foundation year but they won't let me until i get my appealed grades and theyr higher.
Yes I have unconditional. What do you suppose I do, I want to go to my firm but without the foundation year but they won't let me until i get my appealed grades and theyr higher.

So at the moment, your options are (or what will happen):

1. Accept the UCC (which you have said you don't want to do)
2. Go to your insurance (which you said you would do)
3. Go to your firm if the appeal is successful, for your original course

If you don't want the UCC regardless, it would be best to just decline it. If you get your grades, contact your firm and they can arrange for you to go there instead :smile:
Reply 17
So at the moment, your options are (or what will happen):

1. Accept the UCC (which you have said you don't want to do)
2. Go to your insurance (which you said you would do)
3. Go to your firm if the appeal is successful, for your original course

If you don't want the UCC regardless, it would be best to just decline it. If you get your grades, contact your firm and they can arrange for you to go there instead :smile:

Different person but can I potentially accept the UCC and then decide where to go? (so accepting the UCC isn't the same and committing to that uni)
Original post by arnglo
Different person but can I potentially accept the UCC and then decide where to go? (so accepting the UCC isn't the same and committing to that uni)

Where is the UCC from (firm/insurance), and what is your other choice's decision?
Reply 19
Where is the UCC from (firm/insurance), and what is your other choice's decision?

UCC is from my firm and my insurance has given me an unconditional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending