The Student Room Group

Gutted from A level results

Just so gutted to find out that i didnt make it into university when the government did say they were going to be a lot lenient on giving out places. I couldnt even phone up to ask if they would give me a space as the whole course was full before clearing even happened which never happens. I can’t even appeal my grades for my mocks as i didnt revise for them due to losing my EPQ and having a month to re do. My EPQ was being sent off the same day i had two exams so i focused on the EPQ to get my grade for it. I came from a grammar school where i was an external, i was obviously ranked lower than other pupils who have been there since year 7. During year 12, my teachers gave me low predictions for uni and for that reason i worked so hard this year to bump up my grades; i was getting consistent Bs in both my sciences but then to find out my school predicted me D based on my mock and the fact that they needed someone to match their statistics last year. Im really gutted rn cause im going to have to take a whole year out to resit my a levels. I cant even appeal against my calculated grade as i would be getting my mock result; i dont think its fair to use mocks as some schools use easier resources and like my sch we had harsher resources and harsher marking. My school usually gets 77% A*-B so just a shocker really that my school just did me over like that.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly, if you want better grades you will have to redo the year. It is an unfortunate situation but in the grand scheme of things - it is one year. They don't know you from year 7 so do not know what you are capable of and then you didn't revise for your mocks - the next thing they can base your performance on. There is a certain amount of personal responsibility here but you are not the only one in the situation, it is not ideal but make the most of it and apply again.
Original post by Anonymous26101
Just so gutted to find out that i didnt make it into university when the government did say they were going to be a lot lenient on giving out places. I couldnt even phone up to ask if they would give me a space as the whole course was full before clearing even happened which never happens. I can’t even appeal my grades for my mocks as i didnt revise for them due to losing my EPQ and having a month to re do. My EPQ was being sent off the same day i had two exams so i focused on the EPQ to get my grade for it. I came from a grammar school where i was an external, i was obviously ranked lower than other pupils who have been there since year 7. During year 12, my teachers gave me low predictions for uni and for that reason i worked so hard this year to bump up my grades; i was getting consistent Bs in both my sciences but then to find out my school predicted me D based on my mock and the fact that they needed someone to match their statistics last year. Im really gutted rn cause im going to have to take a whole year out to resit my a levels. I cant even appeal against my calculated grade as i would be getting my mock result; i dont think its fair to use mocks as some schools use easier resources and like my sch we had harsher resources and harsher marking. My school usually gets 77% A*-B so just a shocker really that my school just did me over like that.

@Anonymous26101 Really sorry to hear your situation. This sounds a really difficult place to be. Do you mind if I ask whether your insurance university was an option? And whether you wanted to go through clearing to find a different course?

It is such a shame that your effort did not reflect the grades you got. Is resitting them what you feel you need to do?
Original post by Wes - Newman Uni
@Anonymous26101 Really sorry to hear your situation. This sounds a really difficult place to be. Do you mind if I ask whether your insurance university was an option? And whether you wanted to go through clearing to find a different course?

It is such a shame that your effort did not reflect the grades you got. Is resitting them what you feel you need to do?

My insurance was aston university for chemistry but i applied for a foundation year for optometry; i looked through aston clearing and there was nothing that i wanted to do that was available. After having checked my test results for biology i was averaging a B grade but my school predicted me D. I feel like there is no other option apart from resitting next year

Hi @Anonymous26101,

I am very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your grades. Are you thinking that you still want to go to university this year and apply through clearing?

At the moment, The University of Huddersfield still has courses available in Chemistry BSc(Hons) and (Foundation Year) Science Extended Degree- which can lead to Optometry BSc(Hons) you can have a look here. If you have any questions our friendly staff are available to chat you through it on 0330 123 2277.

I understand that you want the A Level Grades that best reflect your ability and if you decide to retake them I wish you the best of luck with your future studies.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield | Student Rep
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @Anonymous26101,

I am very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your grades. Are you thinking that you still want to go to university this year and apply through clearing?

At the moment, The University of Huddersfield still has courses available in Chemistry BSc(Hons) and (Foundation Year) Science Extended Degree- which can lead to Optometry BSc(Hons) you can have a look here. If you have any questions our friendly staff are available to chat you through it on 0330 123 2277.

I understand that you want the A Level Grades that best reflect your ability and if you decide to retake them I wish you the best of luck with your future studies.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield | Student Rep

What are the entry requirements needed?
Any reason you don’t want to do the autumn exams?
What are the entry requirements needed?

Hi @Anonymous26101,

This will need to be something you will have to discuss with the clearing team. Unfortunately, the entry requirements aren't published online. Your post suggests that you are already in clearing. If that is the case please feel free to ask any questions with our friendly staff on 0330 123 2277 or you can begin a live chat here.

Best Wishes,

Original post by Cloudiii
Any reason you don’t want to do the autumn exams?

I havent revised for over 5 months and if i was to do the autumn exams i have just under 7 weeks to revise two years content and smash the exam. I dont know if thats enough time to smash a level and if i do fail that then i can resit in june but unis only take in one resit
I havent revised for over 5 months and if i was to do the autumn exams i have just under 7 weeks to revise two years content and smash the exam. I dont know if thats enough time to smash a level and if i do fail that then i can resit in june but unis only take in one resit

I thought the autumn exams don’t count as a resit though
I thought the autumn exams don’t count as a resit though

They do count as a resit cause your ‘resitting’ exams to improve your grade so it would be second set of results
The autumn exams are first sittings
They do count as a resit cause your ‘resitting’ exams to improve your grade so it would be second set of results

But you didn’t sit them in the first place so they can’t be resits

Hi,

I am really sorry to hear about that. This year was so difficult and stressful for everyone and no one could expect the results day to look like that...

I know you mentioned that you considered some clearing options but did not find anything for you, however, have you had a look at Coventry University? It is an extremely easy commute from Birmingham and I think the University is very accomodating and considerate when it comes to clearings. In fact, we have virtual open days either today afternoon or tomorrow. It will be a perfect opportunity for you to discuss your personal circumstances and find out more about the courses! You can register your interest here: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-coventry/visit-our-open-days/

Alternatively, you can always redo your exams. I know it sounds terrible right now but having a gap year might allow you to pursue your hobbies and interests, maybe get some work experience or travel (if situation allows!). Personally, I didn't take a gap year but I know plenty of people who did and they really enjoyed that time.

I hope you find it helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Monika
Coventry Campus
LLB International Law
Have you started your revision @Cloudiii
But you didn’t sit them in the first place so they can’t be resits

But its still considered as a resit cause its second set of results
OMG , it is first sitting . You never sat exams in the first place . When you sit it you get a extra certificate along the current results
Original post by Antimatter123
Have you started your revision @Cloudiii

I have indeed, on a break lol. Still doubting if I can do it in this short time but going for it right now
Original post by Antimatter123
OMG , it is first sitting . You never sat exams in the first place . When you sit it you get a extra certificate along the current results

My grammar school teachers told me its a resit cause its a second set of results, you cant argue with what the government said; they said its a resit even though we didnt do the exam this year. If it wasnt a resit then most unis would take you in this year but they aint, their saying to wait till next year
I have indeed, on a break lol. Still doubting if I can do it in this short time but going for it right now

I’m also revising for the October exams 😂 what a levels are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest