The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do

I got in to Belfast on an unconditional for criminology and social policy expecting to get better grades- I was given bcd but I was already unsure about making the move. Now I feel like I don’t have the option to go elsewhere or reapply onto a different course next year because my grades aren’t what expected to be

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hancxoxo
I got in to Belfast on an unconditional for criminology and social policy expecting to get better grades- I was given bcd but I was already unsure about making the move. Now I feel like I don’t have the option to go elsewhere or reapply onto a different course next year because my grades aren’t what expected to be

have you spoken to your school about whether an appeal is worth it? why are you feeling unsure specifically?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
have you spoken to your school about whether an appeal is worth it? why are you feeling unsure specifically?

They know I’m unsure about it, I think I’m a bit hesitant about whether or not thats the course I want to do because I’ve hesrd mixed reviews about criminology being good for jobs etc and I’m not sure whether a different uni could be more suited, but I know it’s a good uni
They know I’m unsure about it, I think I’m a bit hesitant about whether or not thats the course I want to do because I’ve hesrd mixed reviews about criminology being good for jobs etc and I’m not sure whether a different uni could be more suited, but I know it’s a good uni

Criminology won't directly get you a job without experience no matter where you go really, if you don't like the idea of the course anymore then would a gap year with potentially resitting the exams be something you want to do?
Reply 4
Criminology won't directly get you a job without experience no matter where you go really, if you don't like the idea of the course anymore then would a gap year with potentially resitting the exams be something you want to do?

I’m put off resitting just as I haven’t been to school since March it’d be difficult to relearn it all, I’m just really undecided and feel like I don’t know how to go about anything

Hi!

It might be worth contacting your university course. They might be able help, especially as this was an unconditional offer, I would have thought you got your place.
I took a year out, as I too wasn't 100% sure about going to university and this really helped me gage what I wanted and as a result I slightly changed my course.
I hope this was helpful!

Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
I’m put off resitting just as I haven’t been to school since March it’d be difficult to relearn it all, I’m just really undecided and feel like I don’t know how to go about anything

Would you choose a different course/uni if you did take a year out? :smile:

if you're feeling very unsure then I'd consider taking a year out but you do have some time still to decide to withdraw your place if you need to.
Reply 8
if you're feeling very unsure then I'd consider taking a year out but you do have some time still to decide to withdraw your place if you need to.

Agree with this. Don't rush into a course if you're not at least sure about it to some degree. Take a year off, gain some experience and think about what you'd like to study in the future.
Reply 9
Original post by Xarao
Agree with this. Don't rush into a course if you're not at least sure about it to some degree. Take a year off, gain some experience and think about what you'd like to study in the future.

I think it would be a much easier decision if my grades supported this, it was such a shock as I at the least expected bbc under circumstances. By rejecting my course I’m scared it’ll leave me with no options
Reply 10
Original post by emiloujess

Possibly, but I’m not 100% sure of what I’d do. I originally was going to do a law conversion but I don’t really have enough information on what would be the best decision. A lot of my family have said they could see me as a paramedic or in that field which u suppose I can see too, however I didn’t take a science in my a levels so I feel that really disrupts that process
Reply 11

Possibly, but I’m not 100% sure of what I’d do. I originally was going to do a law conversion but I don’t really have enough information on what would be the best decision. A lot of my family have said they could see me as a paramedic or in that field which u suppose I can see too, however I didn’t take a science in my a levels so I feel that really disrupts that process

If you have a place in Queens Uni Belfast then you should go - its a top uni and a wonderful university campus
Reply 13
Original post by mike23mike
If you have a place in Queens Uni Belfast then you should go - its a top uni and a wonderful university campus

Due to corona the only time I went for an event it got cancelled so I’ve not been able to fully look at the campus, mainly just a feel for the city and a look around the area- it was a week before we went into lockdown so a lot of what I hear I’ve had to take peoples word for it
Reply 14

Criminology won't directly get you a job but then most degrees don't these days.
Have you looked into what courses you may be able to get onto?

Look at the clearing courses available and see if there is anything that you would want to do - call the uni and ask if there is any flexibility. You do not need to decline your offer to make enquiries about other courses.
Also perhaps contact the Belfast School / Department that offers the Criminology course and see if they would be able to transfer you to another course in that department. Good luck
Reply 17

Reply 18
Original post by MadMathsMum
Have you looked into what courses you may be able to get onto?

Look at the clearing courses available and see if there is anything that you would want to do - call the uni and ask if there is any flexibility. You do not need to decline your offer to make enquiries about other courses.
Also perhaps contact the Belfast School / Department that offers the Criminology course and see if they would be able to transfer you to another course in that department. Good luck

Thank you, I will contact them. I think I’ve concluded that clearing won’t be the best option for me because I’m not going to find anything better than what I’ve already got within that subject, but I’ll call the uni and see what they say about transferring to something similar
Thank you, I will contact them. I think I’ve concluded that clearing won’t be the best option for me because I’m not going to find anything better than what I’ve already got within that subject, but I’ll call the uni and see what they say about transferring to something similar

Nothing ventured - nothing gained. My son has 2 RG offers in clearing with same points score as you plus a graded music exam which was a deal breaker in ove instance! Even if they say no- you haven't lost anything. Please dont give up! Just pick up phone- no one is laughing at you. There are some horrendous grading situations out there and some unis may still be looking to match able students to available places. They will be able to see you GCSE grades personal statement and teacher references. Dont second guess the clearing centres- give yourself a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending