The Student Room Group

Chinese at SOAS or Biology at Bristol

I have till 3pm to make my decision

I always wanted to do medicine so probably Bristol is the better choice but I don't know whether it is something I still want. The Chinese degree sounds more interesting but the aftermath of a Chinese degree isn't as promising.

I am not convinced fully by either degree but I need to do something so I need to make a choice.

Scroll to see replies

I always wanted to do medicine so probably Bristol is the better choice but I don't know whether it is something I still want. The Chinese degree sounds more interesting but the aftermath of a Chinese degree isn't as promising.

I am not fully convinced by either degree I have till 3pm today to make a decision. I don't want to resit a levels.
Original post by Anonymous1502

I am not fully convinced by either degree I have till 3pm today to make a decision. I don't want to resit a levels.

If you study biology then you can apply to do medicine after your biology degree. It will be harder if you study Chinese. Consider Swansea, they have degrees that give you pathways to medicine.

I am not convinced fully by either degree but I need to do something so I need to make a choice.

Hi there,

If you want to do medicine, you'd likely be better off resitting your exams in Autumn. Taking any degree to apply to medicine is very expensive, takes a long time and is generally far more competitive to get into than undergraduate medicine as a school-leaver. There is no guarantee that you would be able to get onto a graduate or undergraduate entry medicine course if you study biology. What grades did you get?
Original post by davidthomasjnr
Hi there,

If you want to do medicine, you'd likely be better off resitting your exams in Autumn. Taking any degree to apply to medicine is very expensive, takes a long time and is generally far more competitive to get into than undergraduate medicine as a school-leaver. There is no guarantee that you would be able to get onto a graduate or undergraduate entry medicine course if you study biology. What grades did you get?

BBB in biology English literature and psychology. I don’t want to spend another year in college I have already spent 3 years doing a levels.
Reply 5
They’re completely different and you must know what appeals more.

If you’ve got BBB and don’t want to resit, you’re not getting into medicine unfortunately. Even if you graduate with a first from your biology degree, the expense and competitiveness of breaking into medicine will be extremely difficult.

If you prefer Chinese, go for it. The medicine route is unlikely.
If you have always wanting to do medicine, then it seems to likely that u have thought much about the hardship and difficulty you need to overcome. But it still appeals u then it seems to me it is great choice for you. The career path can also be wide and promising.
Is there any other reasons for you want to do Chinese other than it being interesting?
I missed my offer I got A/A* in all my mocks my ucas predictions were also all A but the grades given were 2B’s :cry:
BBB in biology English literature and psychology. I don’t want to spend another year in college I have already spent 3 years doing a levels.

Hi med schools usually ask for Chemistry A level. You may need to do one of the courses at Swansea to then do medicine as a graduate entry.
Original post by Morgania
If you have always wanting to do medicine, then it seems to likely that u have thought much about the hardship and difficulty you need to overcome. But it still appeals u then it seems to me it is great choice for you. The career path can also be wide and promising.
Is there any other reasons for you want to do Chinese other than it being interesting?

I don’t know if it is worth chasing medicine anymore as it brought me so much sadness and tears I don’t know whether I can take it anymore. Everything I do always.
Comes to nothing. I picked Chinese because I thought it would be useful and the job prospects would be decent. But I am pit off by SOAS as I don’t want to live at home.
Reply 10
I was struggling to choose between Japanese and primary teaching for so long, but yesterday I finally decided that I should go with Japanese. I would rather follow my heart and regret it than follow my head and regret it. :fluffy:
I don’t know if it is worth chasing medicine anymore as it brought me so much sadness and tears I don’t know whether I can take it anymore. Everything I do always.
Comes to nothing. I picked Chinese because I thought it would be useful and the job prospects would be decent. But I am pit off by SOAS as I don’t want to live at home.

Listen, your head is not in a good place right now. Talk to someone and take the weekend to think things through rather than rushing into a decision you may regret. Both biology at Bristol or Chinese at SOAS are great choices IF either one is what you want.
Original post by YasudaSayo
I was struggling to choose between Japanese and primary teaching for so long, but yesterday I finally decided that I should go with Japanese. I would rather follow my heart and regret it than follow my head and regret it. :fluffy:

My heart is not saying anything since neither of the courses are what I want with my heart because what I truly want i cannot have
Original post by mike23mike
Listen, your head is not in a good place right now. Talk to someone and take the weekend to think things through rather than rushing into a decision you may regret. Both biology at Bristol or Chinese at SOAS are great choices IF either one is what you want.

I have till 3pm to decide or my offer from Bristol will be taken away.
(edited 3 years ago)
Is there Chinese anywhere else if you don’t want to live at home?

Just had a look for you and Cardiff, Leeds and Manchester all do Chinese, while some like Exeter offer Chinese + something else?

Hey @Anonymous1502,

Sorry to hear you're stressed it's been really tough for everyone this year and you should be proud of yourself for what you've achieved. As @mike23mike mentioned we do offer degrees that offer pathways to medicine if you're still considering a career in medicine.

Your best option is to give us a ring and see what we can do on: 0800 094 9071 but if you have any questions you need me to find out let me know!

Best of luck with everything!

Beth
My heart is not saying anything since neither of the courses are what I want with my heart because what I truly want i cannot have

I have till 3pm to decide or my offer from Bristol will be taken away.

Ok then is there anyone you can talk through? From an outsiders viewpoint, Chinese is a total break from the sciences and medicine so it would be a clean break.
Original post by mike23mike
Ok then is there anyone you can talk through? From an outsiders viewpoint, Chinese is a total break from the sciences and medicine so it would be a clean break.

I tried talking to my mum but she can’t really advise me I tried talking to friends they see positives on both sides so no conclusions were reached. For Chinese only the language modules seem interesting the literature ones and film ones not so much. Bristol is a fun city but I know graduate entry medicine is competitive.
I tried talking to my mum but she can’t really advise me I tried talking to friends they see positives on both sides so no conclusions were reached. For Chinese only the language modules seem interesting the literature ones and film ones not so much. Bristol is a fun city but I know graduate entry medicine is competitive.

I think Chinese seems like a good idea as it’s a complete break from medicine and the sciences, especially if you think it sounds interesting.

Why SOAS though? If you want a break from being at home, why not apply elsewhere?
I know the whole covid thing screws but the fact that you got all A*/A in your mock is just the solid proof that you are capable of so much and you have the competitiveness. Please do not say everything you done came to nothing. I hope you regain some confidence in this critical moment of decision.
Chinese is not my area but I guess I agree that there are a growing job market and promising future. It is also true that it is almost completely unrelated to science. Will you regret u giving up science in the future because u think ur hard work never pays off? You are the person who knows most about what you are capable of, I hope you don't lose your heart! Either choice I wish the best luck for you.
Original post by Arisapo
I think Chinese seems like a good idea as it’s a complete break from medicine and the sciences, especially if you think it sounds interesting.

Why SOAS though? If you want a break from being at home, why not apply elsewhere?

The only other uni I liked for Chinese was Durham but they are not in clearing I regret not putting them for insurance I just didn't see a reality where I wouldn't get into my firm and how wrong was I. I didn't like Manchester as a city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending