The Student Room Group

clearing help, really confused

ok so I dropped out of uni in jan. I thought I could use my old ucas id for clearing but that's not allowed. trying to register again, and im really confused. do I need to create a new personal statement and references? bc I do not have any for this year as I wasn't intending on going back to uni this year.
Original post by Zara2728289
ok so I dropped out of uni in jan. I thought I could use my old ucas id for clearing but that's not allowed. trying to register again, and im really confused. do I need to create a new personal statement and references? bc I do not have any for this year as I wasn't intending on going back to uni this year.

Hi!
I would get in contact with UCAS either by emailing them or even better by phone. They might still have a record of your personal statement and references and seeing as it's only been a year you should be okay. there are a lot of people who reregister so they should be able to help. It also might depend if you are applying to the same university or not, because if you are try contacting them.
Hope this was helpful!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

yes you'll need a new application, you can reuse your statement if you want to do the same course. the only other options is to ask universities if they can take you outside of ucas.
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!
I would get in contact with UCAS either by emailing them or even better by phone. They might still have a record of your personal statement and references and seeing as it's only been a year you should be okay. there are a lot of people who reregister so they should be able to help. It also might depend if you are applying to the same university or not, because if you are try contacting them.
Hope this was helpful!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

hi I just called ucas and unfortunately they said they cant give me the record of references since its been a year and I would have to write a new one. im applying as an individual, not through college or uni so I cant do that, and Im trying to get an offer through clearing asap. they said I should apply to uni's without ucas and just tell them my grades. do you know how I could go about that? I feel like everyone just applies through ucas/ and tells uni's their clearing number so im really confused
hi I just called ucas and unfortunately they said they cant give me the record of references since its been a year and I would have to write a new one. im applying as an individual, not through college or uni so I cant do that, and Im trying to get an offer through clearing asap. they said I should apply to uni's without ucas and just tell them my grades. do you know how I could go about that? I feel like everyone just applies through ucas/ and tells uni's their clearing number so im really confused

Unis can offer a direct application, which is outside of UCAS (meaning no fees), but it is rare
Reply 5
Original post by Interrobang
Unis can offer a direct application, which is outside of UCAS (meaning no fees), but it is rare

dang it :/ are teachers allowed to email references? maybe I could get my tutor from last year to send me the reference? ucas did say that I could use let uyears references, but I dont have access to them, only tutor/ ucas do and they cant give it to me.
dang it :/ are teachers allowed to email references? maybe I could get my tutor from last year to send me the reference? ucas did say that I could use let uyears references, but I dont have access to them, only tutor/ ucas do and they cant give it to me.

Find out from the uni if they will do the direct application route for you, but otherwise you need a reference I'm afraid. Why can't they give it to you?

Ring your old school/college now and ask if anyone would be able to supply you with the same reference as last year (and if so ask them how they want you to add the reference to your application)

Alternatively you can submit an application without a reference but you're supposed to have agreement from your universities before you do this (and would still need to supply a reference at a later date)
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Ring your old school/college now and ask if anyone would be able to supply you with the same reference as last year (and if so ask them how they want you to add the reference to your application)

Alternatively you can submit an application without a reference but you're supposed to have agreement from your universities before you do this (and would still need to supply a reference at a later date)

I called up ucas again and now im getting told I need to have a new reference, so im confused. they did say though that if my uni doesn't need a reference, I can just leave the reference box empty, state that the uni doesn't mind and they'll process it
I called up ucas again and now im getting told I need to have a new reference, so im confused. they did say though that if my uni doesn't need a reference, I can just leave the reference box empty, state that the uni doesn't mind and they'll process it

That’s correct. Have you rung up your old school yet? They won’t be threre tomorrow
Original post by PQ
That’s correct. Have you rung up your old school yet? They won’t be threre tomorrow

no, I decided to just leave the reference empty. im calling up uni's tomorrow so will let them know I dont have a reference, but yeah.
no, I decided to just leave the reference empty. im calling up uni's tomorrow so will let them know I dont have a reference, but yeah.

They’ll normally need a reference - you should have called your school. They might not be available on the phone next week to arrange a reference sent directly to universities.

The option to apply without one should be agreed with your universities before you submit your ucas application.
Original post by PQ
They’ll normally need a reference - you should have called your school. They might not be available on the phone next week to arrange a reference sent directly to universities.

The option to apply without one should be agreed with your universities before you submit your ucas application.

I keep hearing mixed things so im confused :/ like I was told that references dont matter much in clearing so its not that big of a deal. yeah when I was on the phone with ucas they basically told me to ask the unis about not having a reference, and only then submitting the ucas application.
I keep hearing mixed things so im confused :/ like I was told that references dont matter much in clearing so its not that big of a deal. yeah when I was on the phone with ucas they basically told me to ask the unis about not having a reference, and only then submitting the ucas application.

Just because a university will accept a ucas application without a reference doesn’t mean that they won’t require a reference provided directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending