The Student Room Group

If I resit my exams in summer 2021, will I be able to go uni the same year?

Hi :smile:

I'm planning on resiting my exams either this autumn, or next summer (but probably next summer because I have to pay either way). This means I'm taking a gap year this year, but would that mean that I would have to take another gap year next year, due to deadlines closing by the 25th of June?

I appreciate it
Original post by Mik connoisseur

I'm planning on resiting my exams either this autumn, or next summer (but probably next summer because I have to pay either way). This means I'm taking a gap year this year, but would that mean that I would have to take another gap year next year, due to deadlines closing by the 25th of June?

I appreciate it

You apply using ucas before January 15 2021 with your awarded grades listed and any pending qualifications also listed.

there’s lots of information on the ucas website about how to apply.
Original post by PQ
You apply using ucas before January 15 2021 with your awarded grades listed and any pending qualifications also listed.

there’s lots of information on the ucas website about how to apply.

Thanks for your reply. I only got DEE in my a levels, yet the university which I'm planning to go to requires AAB (which I'm confident I'll get). Would I still be considered by the university if i apply before January and tell them that I'm definitely going to get the grades required? I really appreciate it
Thanks for your reply. I only got DEE in my a levels, yet the university which I'm planning to go to requires AAB (which I'm confident I'll get). Would I still be considered by the university if i apply before January and tell them that I'm definitely going to get the grades required? I really appreciate it

Universities consider all applications. An increase like that would be expected to be explained in your reference.
Original post by PQ
Universities consider all applications. An increase like that would be expecIs my referented to be explained in your reference.

Is my reference the same as personal statement? Where can it be found on the UCAS application? Also, Universities consider all applications, however, would you say I'd have a good chance of getting a conditional offer if I add in my personal statement that I'm going to definitely increase my UCAS total by 70 UCAS points? I'm worried that they'll just see my current grades, then look at my aspirational grades, think the jump is too big for me and not give me an offer? Thanks so much!
Is my reference the same as personal statement? Where can it be found on the UCAS application? Also, Universities consider all applications, however, would you say I'd have a good chance of getting a conditional offer if I add in my personal statement that I'm going to definitely increase my UCAS total by 70 UCAS points? I'm worried that they'll just see my current grades, then look at my aspirational grades, think the jump is too big for me and not give me an offer? Thanks so much!

No

You write your PS

Your reference is written by your referee. Usually that’s a teacher.

You should NOT be giving excuses for poor grades in your PS. That belongs in your reference.
Original post by PQ
No

You write your PS

Your reference is written by your referee. Usually that’s a teacher.

You should NOT be giving excuses for poor grades in your PS. That belongs in your reference.

Thank you so much for your help. Do you reckon I might have a good chance to get any type of offer with a good reference?
Thank you so much for your help. Do you reckon I might have a good chance to get any type of offer with a good reference?

In general yes

If you have a specific university in mind then ask them directly about their selection process

I appreciate it

The autumn exams don't count as a resit. After doing the autumn exams you can try and enter uni with a delay (depends on the course) for 2020 entry or you will have to take a gap year for 2021 entry. I thinkkk you would have to take another gap year for 2022 entry if you're doing resits in 2021 which I wouldn't recommend, 2 gap years does not look good.
Original post by headieone
The autumn exams don't count as a resit. After doing the autumn exams you can try and enter uni with a delay (depends on the course) for 2020 entry or you will have to take a gap year for 2021 entry. I thinkkk you would have to take another gap year for 2022 entry if you're doing resits in 2021 which I wouldn't recommend, 2 gap years does not look good.

A) resits in june 2021 would be out in August 2021 and would just be a standard ucas entry for 2021. No need for a second gap year
B) 2 gap years look fine so long as they include more than sitting on a couch
Reply 10
Have to disagree here as I did two gap years! As long as you’re being productive like working part time alongside retaking this is a viable option if it gets you to your dream uni. I’d suggest speaking to your teachers regarding UCAS applications however during both my gap years I sorted this out on my own so do drop me a DM if needed! I think OFQUAL have also outlined that there would not be fees for taking exams again but I’m not sure.Wishing you the best of luck!
Original post by PQ
A) resits in june 2021 would be out in August 2021 and would just be a standard ucas entry for 2021. No need for a second gap year

Would it be a standard ucas entry for 2021 if I get results in August? UCAS entries for september 2021 end on the 15th january 2021? So I won't be able to apply, unless you mean by clearing?
Would it be a standard ucas entry for 2021 if I get results in August? UCAS entries for september 2021 end on the 15th january 2021? So I won't be able to apply, unless you mean by clearing?

It is standard for A level applicants to apply in January with pending qualifications in August.

Even if you didn’t apply this year didn’t you notice your classmates doing this?
Original post by PQ

why are there 2 separate deadlines for january and september? I'm confused

There’s 2 UCAS deadlines. 15 October for Oxford and Cambridge and for Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary Medicine courses. 15 January for all other courses.
The 15 January deadline is only for equal consideration. Most courses still accept “late” applications after this date but they don’t have equal consideration with applications received before the January deadline.

Have you tried looking at the UCAS website?
Reply 15

The deadline for UCAS applications for entry in September 2021 is in January with predicted grades. Then when you get results in August you either get your firm or insurance place or you can enter clearing if you don’t.

You do not need to wait for your results before applying through UCAS.
Reply 16
Original post by Mia2408
Have to disagree here as I did two gap years! As long as you’re being productive like working part time alongside retaking this is a viable option if it gets you to your dream uni. I’d suggest speaking to your teachers regarding UCAS applications however during both my gap years I sorted this out on my own so do drop me a DM if needed! I think OFQUAL have also outlined that there would not be fees for taking exams again but I’m not sure.Wishing you the best of luck!

Hey is this the same for this year? (I'm currently in year 13)

Quick Reply

Latest