The Student Room Group
Learning outside, Harper Adams University
Harper Adams University
Newport

Diversity at Harper Adams

How diverse is Harper Adams university in terms of LGBT people, people from different racial and economic backgrounds etc? I am very keen to do their course but I'm worried about being at such a rural uni with only a certain type of person. Don't get me wrong, I can get on alright with these kinds of people but I don't want to be the only gay in the village! Having had trouble with alcohol in the past I've also quit drinking, and it seems that a lot of the Harper Adams culture is about drinking- again, no problem with that but it doesn't work for me. Has anyone got experience of being at Harper-Adams while not fitting the mould? Thanks, and no offence meant.

Scroll to see replies

Hi there! I'm a student ambassador at Harper Adams. I would not worry at all about the LGBT scene, there is quite a well established society that makes sure you will have a community.I know what you mean about the drinking, but there are options if you aren't keen. For example, gaming society is known for not drinking and having a great, chilled out atmosphere. The su also put on movie nights occasionally!I'm from a city background, and whilst there are a lot of people from rural backgrounds, it's definitely not limited to just farmers. I'd suggest coming to an offer holder day and checking things out as well as talking to some students about what you think!
Learning outside, Harper Adams University
Harper Adams University
Newport
Arghgh I wrote a super long reply to this but lost it. I will give you the skim version -

-im a first year at Harper and as someone that cares about politics, the environment and other people (and am not big into drinking), and is different by Harper terms (I don't eat meat or dairy, I have short hair and am a girl) it's absolutely terrible here. I love my course but I really don't know if I'm gonna make it through here

- there is an LGBT society and from what I hear it is good but small, and it represents pretty much the only diversity. There is a lot of Chinese exchange students, but I hear racist comments and gestures about them on a regular basis, racism is almost part of the furniture at Harper it is horrendous.

- drinking is a really big part of the culture. You can't go to any evening event without drinking featuring heavily, often to excess and most night (I'm in the quiet block) you will hear drunken screaming/singing/throwing up early into the next morning. My friend doesn't drink and she's found it really hard as even the welcome meets for societies are all about drinking, and theres a particular phrase used a lot called '**** the fresher' basically meaning let's get them smashed because we think we can make them.

- there is a Harper uniform. It's unofficial, but if you don't own a pair of boater shoes, a gilet or a tweed item of clothing your gonna feel out of place.

- there is a serious lot of money at this school. Many people come from rural background but these aren't tenant farmers, most of them are land owners and are very wealthy, and often come from rural areas so are very small minded. I was born and bred in Shropshire/powys (the same county as Harper) and the particular brand of small minded racism and fear of those who are different unfortunately has pervaded into Harper from the surrounding countryside. There are a few good apples, don't get me wrong, but the generally culture here is bad.

- let's take some examples, two of my friends have been attacked on separate occasions because they look 'different', and by different I mean they have died hair, one has a stutter and one wears tinted lenses on her glasses. Anywhere else it wouldnt be a big deal, but add Harper culture and alcohol and they both got roughed up and taunted because of this. They reported it but nothing was done. Meanwhile my friend who's a geezer from South London gets dragged over the coals on a regular basis by the SU, not for doing much other than looking different and being framed by those who look at him and get small man syndrome. There's also a lot of sexism here, such as a direct quote I took from the welcome week lecture on consent - 'well if she didn't want to get raped then she shouldn't drink should she?' cue laughter from his mates.

- its not all bad! facilities are top notch, and the course and lecturers are good. Self catered accomodation is really nice too.

- all in all if you can cope with a toxic small minded culture or you want to help me start a revolution, then come along! I'm more than happy for you to drop me a message Aswell if you have any other questions, I'm always 100% honest (as you can tell by this blistering review haha)
Reply 3
Thanks so much for your honesty! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and really describe your experiences. I sent in my UCAS application today, and in the end decided not to apply for Harper Adams, partly due to my suspicions that the culture would be exactly like you've described. I'm an older student who could probably list about 20 things that could be thought of as 'weird' about me and don't really want to have to deal with that mentality! I feel for you having to deal with all that, it's mad how some pockets of society are still stuck in the views of 30 or more years ago. I'm rooting for you to make it through!
Reply 4
Thank you 👍🏼 what about international students of different colour?
Original post by Rukaiyah
Thank you 👍🏼 what about international students of different colour?

Since the post from 7 months ago pretty much lines up with my experience 7 years ago. I would say not very diverse at all unless you count Ireland as international. There is normally a fairly sizeable Chinese student population but they are very much kept not quite segregated but no far off from the rest of the student body.

They attend their own lectures and all in the same halls off to the side of the campus.

Original post by BeaHive45
Arghgh I wrote a super long reply to this but lost it. I will give you the skim version -

-im a first year at Harper and as someone that cares about politics, the environment and other people (and am not big into drinking), and is different by Harper terms (I don't eat meat or dairy, I have short hair and am a girl) it's absolutely terrible here. I love my course but I really don't know if I'm gonna make it through here

- there is an LGBT society and from what I hear it is good but small, and it represents pretty much the only diversity. There is a lot of Chinese exchange students, but I hear racist comments and gestures about them on a regular basis, racism is almost part of the furniture at Harper it is horrendous.

- drinking is a really big part of the culture. You can't go to any evening event without drinking featuring heavily, often to excess and most night (I'm in the quiet block) you will hear drunken screaming/singing/throwing up early into the next morning. My friend doesn't drink and she's found it really hard as even the welcome meets for societies are all about drinking, and theres a particular phrase used a lot called '**** the fresher' basically meaning let's get them smashed because we think we can make them.

- there is a Harper uniform. It's unofficial, but if you don't own a pair of boater shoes, a gilet or a tweed item of clothing your gonna feel out of place.

- there is a serious lot of money at this school. Many people come from rural background but these aren't tenant farmers, most of them are land owners and are very wealthy, and often come from rural areas so are very small minded. I was born and bred in Shropshire/powys (the same county as Harper) and the particular brand of small minded racism and fear of those who are different unfortunately has pervaded into Harper from the surrounding countryside. There are a few good apples, don't get me wrong, but the generally culture here is bad.

- let's take some examples, two of my friends have been attacked on separate occasions because they look 'different', and by different I mean they have died hair, one has a stutter and one wears tinted lenses on her glasses. Anywhere else it wouldnt be a big deal, but add Harper culture and alcohol and they both got roughed up and taunted because of this. They reported it but nothing was done. Meanwhile my friend who's a geezer from South London gets dragged over the coals on a regular basis by the SU, not for doing much other than looking different and being framed by those who look at him and get small man syndrome. There's also a lot of sexism here, such as a direct quote I took from the welcome week lecture on consent - 'well if she didn't want to get raped then she shouldn't drink should she?' cue laughter from his mates.

- its not all bad! facilities are top notch, and the course and lecturers are good. Self catered accomodation is really nice too.

- all in all if you can cope with a toxic small minded culture or you want to help me start a revolution, then come along! I'm more than happy for you to drop me a message Aswell if you have any other questions, I'm always 100% honest (as you can tell by this blistering review haha)

That is depressingly accurate, although there was no LGBT Soc when I was on the SU.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by BeaHive45

hey, i'm a new student starting at harper this september - i'm gonna study zoology with entomology and i'm really excited about the course, but to be honest i am TERRIFIED about the 'farmer culture' side of things - i don't come from a farming background, i'm autistic, and on top of all that, i'm a trans guy (who was planning to come out at uni, cause it's not safe at home.) i read a review of harper on whatuni that i think must have been yours, as they mentioned all the same things, and i was wondering if anything has changed since you wrote this? i'm just super anxious now ahah.
Reply 7
Harper is much more diverse than it was years ago. Like any place, you get good people and not so good. But I have seen a huge push towards inclusiveness and have witnessed first hand the support provided and action taken when there is a problem and someone speaks up about it.
Hi ! I have just graduated Harper Adams this summer and went with no agriculture experience , I am from a very towny background and absolutely loved it . There is a huge diverusty of backgrounds at Harper and I completely feel understand your perception as I thought the same before I went ! There is a big drinking culture but there is at every university , my best friend didn't drink at all at Harper and ha an incredible time so I wouldn't worry. There are plenty of other activities to do which do not require drinking 🤣😊 I hope this helps
Reply 9
There definitely is diversity at harper Adam's and the LGBT society is growing.With a growing number of varied courses at harper there is also a growing diversity of students.I was a quiet first year with little or no drinking before university and I joined the netball team who welcomed me with open arms and you could join in with the social nights with or without alcohol.There are also quieter accommodation options if that's something you would like. If the course is for you then I can guarantee you will find like minded people when you start. Harper is still a smaller university but this has many benefits as opposed to limitations.
Reply 10
Hi! I'm just finishing my masters degree at Harper, having started as a fresher five years ago. Harper is my second home and I absolutely loved every second of it. The LGBT club represents students well, and I personally know a past president who was one of the most supportive people I've met. To address the other concerns:

I don't eat meat or dairy, I don't drink, I don't come from an agricultural background, I'm not a city kid, I had my falconry bird at uni, and I don't own a single item of tweed clothing. But not once did people care; the courses are amazing, the staff are amazing, you'll find a wonderful group of friends who accept you; there's people from all walks of life. At postgrad I lived with the most wonderful group of international students who I adored. The zoology/entomology undergrads are some of the most welcoming people I've met too, though I only know a few as it wasn't available as a course when I did my undergrad.

I was on the exec team of the rowing club and I played polo; I went to every social in first year and not once did I have to drink, and encouraged others to always have the option. I could not have been surrounded by a more welcoming group of people; yes there is money. Yes people drink a lot. Yes it may not attract the diversity of a city uni. But I challenge you to find a uni where those things don't exist. Every uni has different groups of students from all walks of life and student life mainly revolves around drinking, not just Harper. The training we receive as execs focuses on inclusivity and accessibility of all the clubs to all students.

Harper is outstanding in the level of education it provides, with purpose-built facilities just for students to use. The relationships I formed with my coursemates, housemates, and lecturers make me want to do it all over again from the beginning.

I encourage everyone with concerns to talk to ambassadors through the website, or contact the student services or course tutors. I know one student's viewpoint isn't everything (positive or negative!) so please reach out with any concerns!
Original post by wyni
hey, i'm a new student starting at harper this september - i'm gonna study zoology with entomology and i'm really excited about the course, but to be honest i am TERRIFIED about the 'farmer culture' side of things - i don't come from a farming background, i'm autistic, and on top of all that, i'm a trans guy (who was planning to come out at uni, cause it's not safe at home.) i read a review of harper on whatuni that i think must have been yours, as they mentioned all the same things, and i was wondering if anything has changed since you wrote this? i'm just super anxious now ahah.

Harper Adams has definitely had a disheartening reputation in the past, there’s no denying that. However, as the courses have become more diverse, so have the students. I’ve been at Harper for 2yrs now and in that short time, although I have witnessed some troubling behaviour, I have also seen a positive change at the university.

I’m studying Zoology with Entomology and will be becoing an exec for the LGBT+ society. The society has started from humble beginnings but is growing in strength and numbers. Although I cannot give you a first-hand account of how it is to be trans here, I can tell you that my trans friends have enjoyed their courses and that their bright personalities have certainly not dulled!

The undergrad entomology students are a very unique bunch and we probably do stand out, but we have had a great time together at Harper. Again, I can’t guarantee that you won’t encounter closed-minded people (as with anywhere) and there is a farming culture that does seem to repel those who do not fit in with their views (I’ve had my fair share of ‘public debates’, but I’m also a very opinionated and confident person who doesn’t shy away from being challenged). None of this has deterred me from enjoying my time at Harper Adams and I have made friends here that I cherish dearly.

Please don’t be nervous about coming here! I know from personal experience that the course manager for the zoological courses John Reade is a hugely supportive and open-minded person, the students which undertake entomology are diverse and friendly, and the LGBT+ society would welcome you with open arms! As I’m sure you are already aware, anyone who is different from the society norm is bound to encounter a few bad apples in their lifetime, but I assure you that you will find support and kindness too 😊 If you ever need anyone to talk to or help with your course feel free to message me anytime!
Original post by wyni

I have messaged you 🙂
Reply 13
Original post by Engineered Space
Harper Adams has definitely had a disheartening reputation in the past, there’s no denying that. However, as the courses have become more diverse, so have the students. I’ve been at Harper for 2yrs now and in that short time, although I have witnessed some troubling behaviour, I have also seen a positive change at the university.

I’m studying Zoology with Entomology and will be becoing an exec for the LGBT+ society. The society has started from humble beginnings but is growing in strength and numbers. Although I cannot give you a first-hand account of how it is to be trans here, I can tell you that my trans friends have enjoyed their courses and that their bright personalities have certainly not dulled!

The undergrad entomology students are a very unique bunch and we probably do stand out, but we have had a great time together at Harper. Again, I can’t guarantee that you won’t encounter closed-minded people (as with anywhere) and there is a farming culture that does seem to repel those who do not fit in with their views (I’ve had my fair share of ‘public debates’, but I’m also a very opinionated and confident person who doesn’t shy away from being challenged). None of this has deterred me from enjoying my time at Harper Adams and I have made friends here that I cherish dearly.

Please don’t be nervous about coming here! I know from personal experience that the course manager for the zoological courses John Reade is a hugely supportive and open-minded person, the students which undertake entomology are diverse and friendly, and the LGBT+ society would welcome you with open arms! As I’m sure you are already aware, anyone who is different from the society norm is bound to encounter a few bad apples in their lifetime, but I assure you that you will find support and kindness too 😊 If you ever need anyone to talk to or help with your course feel free to message me anytime!

thank you so much! that makes me feel a lot better :-) i’m actually really excited to start my course now, and i look forward to participating in the lgbt+ society! thanks again :-D i may message you closer to the start of term, if that’s alright?
Original post by wyni
thank you so much! that makes me feel a lot better :-) i’m actually really excited to start my course now, and i look forward to participating in the lgbt+ society! thanks again :-D i may message you closer to the start of term, if that’s alright?

Of course! Feel free to message me whenever you need =] Enjoy the rest of your summer, I look forward to meeting you!
Reply 15
Original post by Thehighwarlock
For example, gaming society is known for not drinking and having a great, chilled out atmosphere. The su also put on movie nights occasionally!I

Hi, thinking about postgraduate study
Can you elaborate on the gaming society please? Are we talking board games or computer games? What do the meetups look like?

Are there other geeky/quirky clubs? I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking for here but I would want to seek out the kind of club that attracts introverts and oddballs, rather than rugby playing kind of crowd.

So for example in my undergraduate degree I joined the Monty Python society, philosophy debating society, medieval feast society etc. Fringe stuff for fish out of water types.

@BeaHive45@Engineered Space
may have some insight also
Thanks.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
https://www.harpersu.com/Clubs/#Clubs
Hmm, is this is only a list of sports clubs, or does it include all societies as well?

Since the gaming club is not included on this list, I am hoping there are others unmentioned.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Krood
Hi, thinking about postgraduate study
Can you elaborate on the gaming society please? Are we talking board games or computer games? What do the meetups look like?

Are there other geeky/quirky clubs? I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking for here but I would want to seek out the kind of club that attracts introverts and oddballs, rather than rugby playing kind of crowd.

So for example in my undergraduate degree I joined the Monty Python society, philosophy debating society, medieval feast society etc. Fringe stuff for fish out of water types.

@BeaHive45@Engineered Space
may have some insight also
Thanks.

Hiya!

So the gaming society is part board game, part computer, and they also do some dungeons and dragons I believe.

For a list of the societies at Harper (the club's are sports clubs, the societies is other stuff) see here: https://www.harpersu.com/Societies/

However, that isn't an updated list for this year as there will be at least 2 societies starting up, HABS (Harper Adams Biological Society) and Harper Veggies and Vegans. Both are friendly, non sporty and not drinking culture centred, feel free to ask me more questions about either as I am on the exec board for both.

What course is it you are wanting to do?
Reply 18
Thanks for the list!

Considering entomology, for some reason. Still trying to figure out whether that's a sensible move though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Krood
Thanks for the list!

Considering entomology, for some reason. Still trying to figure out whether that's a sensible move though.

No worries! Aha entomology, some may say the best course choice 😏

The good thing with the zoology courses is that they have a common first year, so you can apply for entomology but then decide to do applied or environmental management, you can switch. You don't get to do any actual entomology in the first year, but maybe if you ask us second years nicely we can show you the insect house or some of the work we will get up to!

It is the only undergrad entomology course in the country so it is specialist, but if entomology is something your interested and passionate about then it's a sure fire thing. I would say that the zoology course is often the most diverse in terms of interests, hair styles and colours, sexualities, gender expression etc! Not sure why that is, but all the zoologists I've met are very friendly too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending