The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Ask Me Anything about Reading Uni!

Hi everyone!

My name is Delia and I am currently studying BA Business and Management at Henley Business School / University of Reading.

I have just completed my placement year, as a Sales and Marketing Intern and will be returning to Reading to complete my final year in September.

I have absolutely loved my time at Reading University, working as a Student Ambassador and getting involved in lots of societies. I lived in halls during my first year and private house accommodation since, so if you have any questions about the course, placements or campus life, please let me know below!

Delia
3rd Year Business and Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)
Would you recommend doing an integrated masters or a placement year? How far is the town from the uni, and how busy is it? :smile: Do you have to pay to be a part of a society? And you may not be able to answer this but are there any places where you can chill/hangout between lectures and seminars? Also, is it possible to get a locker to put your things in? (I'm asking because I will be commuting to Reading)

Sorry for all the questions :tongue:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Would you recommend doing an integrated masters or a placement year? How far is the town from the uni, and how busy is it? :smile: Do you have to pay to be a part of a society? And you may not be able to answer this but are there any places where you can chill/hangout between lectures and seminars? Also, is it possible to get a locker to put your things in? (I'm asking because I will be commuting to Reading)

Sorry for all the questions :tongue:

Hi,

Great questions! In terms of Masters and Placements, personally I can only comment on Placements. I really enjoyed my placement and got a lot from the experience - real world skills that you can bring back to university. The Henley Business School also provides many amazing masters courses though, so both paths I would say are great!

The Reading campus is massive and has most thing you’ll need during your years. However town would be about a 15 minute bus journey away / 40 minute walk! The town is lovely and has everything you'll need.

There are loads of societies on offer and you can get to know these during freshers. Some are free and some charge, due to training and equipment, however they will explain this all when you get there! Societies are a great way of making new friends during your time at uni!

Campus has lots of places to stay in between lectures - we have cafes , bars and library study spaces meaning you don’t have to go home after every lecture and there’s enough to do. In terms of lockers, not that I am aware. We should have them in our gym but on campus I don’t believe they have places to store things. However there may be alternatives places to store things on campus, but it’s not something I’m aware of!

Anything else let me know
Delia :smile:
How diverse is university of reading? What things are required to secure offer for placement year? Is there anything we might need to do before applying to make our application look better?
Original post by Anonymous
How diverse is university of reading? What things are required to secure offer for placement year? Is there anything we might need to do before applying to make our application look better?

Hi ,

The University of Reading is very diverse and having a campus university ensures a close community feel to the uni!

So with placements, the university will provide lots of support for how to secure one, from the careers department. However, it will be up to you to find one. Hard work and persistence is key, and balancing studies with placement applications, staying true to what you want is important and putting all the effort into your applications will really help! The process is long, but incredibly rewarding with the skills you will gain.

For placements, you won’t need to worry until the summer of first year / start of second. I would say just to keep organised and have a think about what interests you, keep your CV up to date and when applications do come out stay on top of it, getting ahead of the game can really help!

Hope that helps, anything else let me know

Delia
3rd Year Business Student
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending