The Student Room Group

Free a-level results appeals!

Read this:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/gavin-williamson-pay-level-results-22524377

Apparently appealing a-level results will be covered by the government! If you’ve been screwed over by the tories, appeal, appeal, appeal, especially fellow state compers who are most likely to have been screwed over!
(edited 3 years ago)
omg that's amazing i thought they were actually going to get away with scamming everyone, i can't believe that they said the education system is 'robust' lmao
Original post by boulderingislife
Read this:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/gavin-williamson-pay-level-results-22524377

Apparently appealing a-level results will be covered by the government! If you’ve been screwed over by the tories, appeal, appeal, appeal, especially fellow state compers who are most likely to have been screwed over!

How have they been "screwed over"?

The fact is that 75% of predicted grades are overestimates. Whilst some will have been given a lower grade than if they had sat the exam, more have benefited. With that said, some seem to have had their grades lowered unfairly.
When can we start appealing?
Original post by RogerOxon

The fact is that 75% of predicted grades are overestimates. Whilst some will have been given a lower grade than if they had sat the exam, more have benefited. With that said, some seem to have had their grades lowered unfairly.

nearly everyone in my school had grades lowered- we had next to no as and our calculated grades were lower than mocks. tell me how this is not unfair?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by bambi1425
nearly everyone in my school had grades lowered- we had next to no as and our calculated grades were lower than mocks. tell me how this is not unfair?

In general, that would be because your school doesn't usually get As, so the predictions are seen as out of line with it's usual results.
(edited 3 years ago)
also the appeal process is only appealing grading process right? like you can't appeal against the grade you were predicted by teachers unless it was a problem like a misclick?
Reply 7
This is brilliant news! Everyone in my RS class were downgraded regardless of where we were placed in rankings. There were only 10 of us in the class and everyone was downgraded by one grade. I was consistently achieving Bs in mocks and was working to get an A in the real exams. I wasn’t originally going to appeal as I got into my firm uni but when the highest achieving in our class (she was consistently getting As) told me she was downgraded to a B and everyone i spoke to from my class saying they were unhappy with their RS grade, i decided to request to appeal. I think 7 of the 10 of us are appealing as a couple of people aren’t too fussed but a lot of us worked our arses off to get the grades we did in mocks and our school has amazing historical data in RS so there was no reason for Edexcel to downgrade all 10 of us.
In general, that would be because your school doesn't usually get As, so the predictions are seen as out if line with it's usual results.

I think the problem is a cohort shouldn't be based on past cohorts- I get they couldn't do case by case but there can be so much variation in a small 6th form it was such a horrific day for everyone

tho I spose it is hard to manage overpredictions they had to try somehow :/
I think the problem is a cohort shouldn't be based on past cohorts- I get they couldn't do case by case but there can be so much variation in a small 6th form it was such a horrific day for everyone

tho I spose it is hard to manage overpredictions they had to try somehow :/

There are issues with the downgrading, but, when 75% of predicted grades are over-estimates, it wouldn't be fair to go with them, especially if some teachers are less optimistic than others. There do seem ot have been unintended consequences for some individual students though.

Hopefully, teachers will be more accountable for their predicted grades in future. The playing field needs to be leveled there.

Not really...can i have evidence were it states "75 of predicted grades are overestimates" or is that something you made up on the spot.
There are issues with the downgrading, but, when 75% of predicted grades are over-estimates, it wouldn't be fair to go with them, especially if some teachers are less optimistic than others. There do seem ot have been unintended consequences for some individual students though.

Hopefully, teachers will be more accountable for their predicted grades in future. The playing field needs to be leveled there.

let's hope so :smile: hopefully somit good for future students will come out of this (ie fairer internal grading)
Original post by Jeff Bezos
Not really...can i have evidence were it states "75 of predicted grades are overestimates" or is that something you made up on the spot.

@PQ ^^^

It was on Radio 4 today, although I can't find it online, where the numbers quoted appear to be around 40%.
It was on Radio 4 today, although I can't find it online, where the numbers quoted appear to be around 40%.

Radio 4 is as good as listening to fire in the booth and charlie sloth
I wish they hurry up and outline the process of appeals I want to get it sorted
Original post by cherryxberry
I wish they hurry up and outline the process of appeals I want to get it sorted

Hunny nothing gonna be done in a hurry (grab a curry)- might start a rapping career if my GCSE grades don't go well.You can be a backup dancer or a lead vocalist

Maybe your year is just unusually thick and deserve to get low grades? Who knows? Something must have forced the downgrading of the results across the board in such a drastic way!

Found it:
Original post by https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/8409/Predicted-grades-accuracy-and-impact-Dec-16/pdf/Predicted_grades_report_Dec2016.pdf
Only 16% of applicants achieved the A-level grade points that they were predicted to achieve, based on their best three A-levels. However, the vast majority (75% of applicants) were over-predicted ie their grades were predicted to be higher than they actually achieved.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest