The Student Room Group

Medicine 2021 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants

Welcome to the thread that no one wants to be in. I am sorry to see that you have missed your grades and have to reapply.

However, now is not the time to feel sorry for yourself. Dust yourself off because you all have a schedule to stick to.

3 August 2020 UCAT Testing begins

1 September 2020 BMAT November registration opens

4 September 2020 Autumn A-Level exams deadline for registration

17 September 2020 (midday) UCAT Registration close

30 September 2020 (midday) UCAT Final booking deadline (for registered candidates)

1 October 2020 UCAT Last testing date, BMAT November registration closes

5-23 October 2020 Autumn A-Level exams take place

15 October 2020 UCAS application deadline

4 November 2020 BMAT November test date

27 November 2020 BMAT November results released

Winter-Spring 2020/21 Medical school interviews / offers

May / June 2021 Summer A-Level exams

August 2021 A-Level results day

Other TSR threads:
UCAT 2020 for 2021 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6282054
UCAT 2020 results thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6615810
BMAT 2020 for 2021 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6282050
General undergrad 2021 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6101390
GEM 2021 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5332212
"Which medical school should I apply to" megathread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622970
Medical schools index 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022314

Useful links:
Autumn A-Level exams timetable https://www.tes.com/news/level-2020-autumn-exam-timetable
Medical schools council 2020/21 applicant FAQs https://www.medschools.ac.uk/covid-19/admissions-updates-for-applicants/202021-application-faqs
UCAT 2020 https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/dates-and-fees/
BMAT November https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A close friend of mine was very dissappointed with his A level grades this year as he is one of those people that work at the end of the academic year to pull up his grade up so the grading system due to corona didn't work out well for him. He plans to retake his A levels in october and should get the results for this early december. He wants to apply to medicine and since you have to apply early (Oct 15) for this, does anyone know how the application process would work. What grades would he apply with?
Original post by VestingBunion
A close friend of mine was very dissappointed with his A level grades this year as he is one of those people that work at the end of the academic year to pull up his grade up so the grading system due to corona didn't work out well for him. He plans to retake his A levels in october and should get the results for this early december. He wants to apply to medicine and since you have to apply early (Oct 15) for this, does anyone know how the application process would work. What grades would he apply with?

He would have to put down the calculated grades he received today, and his teachers will give him new predicted grades for the Autumn exams. Hope it goes well for him :h:
Original post by VestingBunion

He will have to get predicted grades from his teachers.
The good news is Autumn exams will be treated as a first attempt.
I wanted to apply to medicine after a gap year but I've just recienved lower grades. Would I have to apply in Oct using these lower grades?

I dont know how to go about this, would love any help x
Reply 5
Original post by zoyasaucee
I wanted to apply to medicine after a gap year but I've just recienved lower grades. Would I have to apply in Oct using these lower grades?

I dont know how to go about this, would love any help x

Yes, and declare that you are retaking so if you receive an offer, it'd be conditional that you achieve AAA.

my alevel results are not good enough for medicine , I'm trying to appeal them however , im not sure if it would work. I don't mind resitting as my school gave me the option to. if I were to meet all the grade requirements of course , would I be looked down upon/ not condsidered if I apply ?
Reply 7
Original post by hannah12389
my alevel results are not good enough for medicine , I'm trying to appeal them however , im not sure if it would work. I don't mind resitting as my school gave me the option to. if I were to meet all the grade requirements of course , would I be looked down upon/ not condsidered if I apply ?

20 med schools already accept resits:

The list in terms of just med schools that accept resits is:

Newcastle,
Sheffield,
Bristol,
HYMS (first sitting at least BBB)
UEA,
Keele (but only with achieved AAA grades, not pending),
Liverpool,
Manchester (resit A*AA),
Leicester (needs your first sitting to be AAB or ABB),
Nottingham (and Lincoln),
Plymouth,
Exeter,
Southampton,
ARU,
Sunderland,
Edge Hill,
Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”),
Queen’s University Belfast (Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice).

There is also BSMS and Lancaster if you do BMAT.

Reply 8
Ok long story short I got marked down a lot for my results so I haven’t got a place for medicine. What I want to do is take a gap year, resit my alevels and reapply next year for medicine. However my parents want me to apply again this year, like the 15 Oct 2020. I don’t see the point coz if my UCAT is bad then I’ll have to reapply next year anyways, but they’re basically forcing me to do it. Is there any logic in applying this year?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by str002
Ok long story story short I got marked down a lot for my results so I haven’t got a place for medicine. What I want to do is take a gap year, resit my alevels and reapply next year for medicine. However my parents want me to apply again this year, like the 15 Oct 2020. I don’t see the point coz if my UCAT is bad then I’ll have to reapply next year anyways, but they’re basically forcing me to do it. Is there any logic in applying this year?

The fact you might get a place this year? You could at least sit your UCAT and then re-evaluate, if you apply this year you have two chances of getting your offer, whereas if you only apply this year that's only 1!
Hello guys, I need some advice. I applied to medicine for 2020 entry, got 4 interviews but messed them all up. Yesterday, I got ABB in my A levels so couldn't try getting in via clearing either. I'm preparing for 2021 entry to medicine. I know I will need to "resit" the two Bs to make them into As so I meet the entry requirements for standard 5 year medicine. My question is that which medical schools will accept me if I only resit the two subjects but in summer 2021. I can't do them this october because i'm preparing for my UCAT and BMAT and I haven't studied any A level content since April so 2 months is not realistic for me to prepare for 6 papers and get As in them. Which medical schools will not consider me as a resit applicant and my application will be considered equally if I sit those 2 A levels next summer. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks.
Hello, so I will reapply to medicine again this year. My stats are 9999D*7665 (5 in English Lang) and I got AAA at a level yesterday so was quite disappointed because I expected to be higher. I want to apply to Exeter again because they accept grade 5 in English also I don’t think I will resit English because I resit it once and got a 4. My question is I know exeter cut off is A*A*A* predicted or A*A*A achieved but I got AAA. Can I resit a level and speak to my teacher to make my predicted A*A*A*. But what’s the point of resitting them because they will make offer of AAA anyway. Also what other uni I can apply to if I have average UCAT score?
Please help! My son applied to medicine for sept 2020 intake but was rejected. Although his predicted grades were A*AA last year ,his mocks were A*AB in jan 2020 but his results are now AAC. The plan was for him to retake UCAT this year but with the low grade C in physics, it appears as if he has to sit his exam in Autumn. The results don’t come until December but the UCAS deadline is 15th October. What should he write in his UCAS now? Previously predicted levels,or mock grades,or grades from August 13th. Although I am 99% certain he can upgrade from C to A,I feel he may be treated unfairly because he may not even be shortlisted by universities because they see the C. Is there anything we can do?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tintubmum
Please help! My son applied to medicine for sept 2020 intake but was rejected. Although his predicted grades were A*AA last year ,his mocks were A*AB in jan 2020 but his results are now AAC. The plan was for him to retake UCAT this year but with the low grade C in physics, it appears as if he has to sit his exam in Autumn. The results don’t come until December but the UCAS deadline is 15th October. What should he write in his UCAS now? Previously predicted levels,or mock grades,or grades from August 13th. Although I am 99% certain he can upgrade from C to A,I feel he may be treated unfairly because he may not even be shortlisted by universities because they see the C.

Declare that you are sitting this exam in Autumn and if he gets an offer it will be conditional that he gets an A in this.

Alternatively, if he wanted more time he could do the Summer 2021 exams and apply to the 20 or so med schools that accept retakes.

Please help! My son applied to medicine for sept 2020 intake but was rejected. Although his predicted grades were A*AA last year ,his mocks were A*AB in jan 2020 but his results are now AAC. The plan was for him to retake UCAT this year but with the low grade C in physics, it appears as if he has to sit his exam in Autumn. The results don’t come until December but the UCAS deadline is 15th October. What should he write in his UCAS now? Previously predicted levels,or mock grades,or grades from August 13th. Although I am 99% certain he can upgrade from C to A,I feel he may be treated unfairly because he may not even be shortlisted by universities because they see the C. Is there anything we can do?

You son was holding a firm and insurance offer from two med schools. He should contact them directly and advise that he is unhappy with the system generated C in physics and will be retaking in Oct. The unis should honour his offer and defer his place to next year IF he gets the A in Physics. I have read other posts where the uni has done just that.
Is anyone on here applying on a gap year? Is there a gap year medicine thread at all?
. Thank you. So if he did resit the exam in summer 2021, will he be applying to September 2022 intake?
Original post by mike23mike
You son was holding a firm and insurance offer from two med schools. He should contact them directly and advise that he is unhappy with the system generated C in physics and will be retaking in Oct. The unis should honour his offer and defer his place to next year IF he gets the A in Physics. I have read other posts where the uni has done just that.

Sadly, he doesn’t hold any offers as yet. We were hoping to get his grades out of the way and reapply this year but even if he sat his exams in august, the results won’t be declared until December,by which time many medical schools will have shortlisted or even interviewed students.
Sadly, he doesn’t hold any offers as yet. We were hoping to get his grades out of the way and reapply this year but even if he sat his exams in august, the results won’t be declared until December,by which time many medical schools will have shortlisted or even interviewed students.

In addition to what has already been advised, your son should also talk to his head of year to see if the school can appeal on his behalf on the grounds of his mock grades being higher than the grades he got given, as valid mock grades have now been declared grounds for appeal.

More details about appeals on the grounds of mocks are coming out next week so that may be an option for your son and would be a quicker way of getting his marks changed if he is eligible. We don't have much detail yet about how this will work though so it's not a definite option just a possibility.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/exams-2020-ofqual-to-provide-guidance-on-valid-mock-grades/
Original post by Whatisizekiah
Is anyone on here applying on a gap year? Is there a gap year medicine thread at all?

I am

Latest

Trending

Trending