The Student Room Group

Uni of Nottingham or Uni of Birmingham Prestige

N/a
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by winniethepooh496
Which university is considered more prestigious by employers and the general public? I know it's not the be all and end all it's just one factor but I just wanted to know as part of my decision.I am interested in Chem/Biochem at either University. I've also looked at Queen Mary , it's quite far from me so does anyone know what sort of reputation it has. I know Nottingham is part IB targeted, is Bham not at all? Also does Nottingham pose any other career advantages. I dont necessarily know what career I want to be clear. Thank you 😊

I would say both are equal ''prestigious' so if you like it being part IB targeted and like the course better at Nottingham then go for it but going to Birmingham won't make a difference to your prospects
Original post by Dechante
I would say both are equal ''prestigious' so if you like it being part IB targeted and like the course better at Nottingham then go for it but going to Birmingham won't make a difference to your prospects

Thank you for your response, where would you say Queen Mary falls in terms of prestige?
Thank you for your response, where would you say Queen Mary falls in terms of prestige?

It's the lowest ranked out of all the Russell Group unis but I have heard that students who go there aren't the happiest. However, don't just rely on what I have heard about QM. Imo Birmingham = Nottingham > Queen Mary. There's no difference between Brum and Notts but I would say QM would give you great prospects. I think it's ranked like 114th in the world so it is respected. I know more about Nottingham and Birmingham as unis because I considered uni at both of these and I live in Birmingham
Which university is considered more prestigious by employers and the general public? I know it's not the be all and end all it's just one factor but I just wanted to know as part of my decision.I am interested in Chem/Biochem at either University. I've also looked at Queen Mary , it's quite far from me so does anyone know what sort of reputation it has. I know Nottingham is part IB targeted, is Bham not at all? Also does Nottingham pose any other career advantages. I dont necessarily know what career I want to be clear. Thank you 😊

I would consider Nottingham and Birmingham Unis to be pretty equal. I've lived in both cities, if you wanted to find out more about living there? Just as another factor to consider.

I'm less sure about where Queen Mary fits in in terms of prestige, however one of my friends went to uni and did her masters there, she seemed pleased with her experience there :smile:

These types of threads do annoy me a little. Employers don't sit at their desk when plodding through CVs thinking that only candidates from a list of universities will be chosen, and the rest discarded come what may.

Nottingham vs Birmingham - both are excellent campus universities, not much at all between them. Domestic reputation would probably be in Nottingham's favour, but internationally Birmingham may just pip it. Queen Mary has a marginally better international reputation than both, but slightly weaker UK reputation.

You really have to visit them all before deciding.
Original post by StarLinyx
These types of threads do annoy me a little. Employers don't sit at their desk when plodding through CVs thinking that only candidates from a list of universities will be chosen, and the rest discarded come what may.

Nottingham vs Birmingham - both are excellent campus universities, not much at all between them. Domestic reputation would probably be in Nottingham's favour, but internationally Birmingham may just pip it. Queen Mary has a marginally better international reputation than both, but slightly weaker UK reputation.

You really have to visit them all before deciding.

Tbh I totally agree with you. :smile: it was just one factor I considered though. I did however look at student satisfaction as well as the stats on discoveruni.gov and for Biochemistry at Birmingham, the choice I was most interested in, the percentages are really low. Its putting me off studying there. Do you know anything about why this is the case? I've tried contacting universities but they arent picking calls perhaps due to Covid. Thank you
One thing I can say about Nottingham is that the campus is gigantic, green and full of spectacular buildings (old and new). If there is a nicer campus anywhere in the World, I would like to see it!

The downside is that Nottingham as a city is grim and is way behind Birmingham economically, and this shows when you see the City Centre.
Hi that would be of massive help if you could let me know a little more about living there. The course I'm interested in (Biochemistry at Birmingham)has a really low student satisfaction and percentage of students who found it interesting than at Nottingham and other unis such as Queen Mary (I found this out from discoveruni.gov) and now I'm a little scared about going there because I had Birmingham in mind. Do you know anything about this ? Thank you

I don't know about the unis in particular, I mean the cities to live in. Birmingham is a bigger city so there seems to be more of a student night life, although apparently the Nottingham night life is good too. I've been on nights out in both cities, both as a student and after and generally prefer Nottingham slightly more. Both are good for night life. In terms of getting about, both have good transport links. Birmingham is probably better for getting to places like London but within Nottingham I would say the transport is better in the city. Both cities have good shopping, restaurants, bars etc.

Both campuses are slightly out from the centre too I think. So just something to take into account in terms of accomdation/transport.

Let me know if you do have any questions about the cities in general. As I say, I haven't been to UoN or UoB personally.
The downside is that Nottingham as a city is grim and is way behind Birmingham economically, and this shows when you see the City Centre.

Have you seen parts of Brum? :puke: both cities certainly have their good and bad areas :lol: Like most cities to be fair!
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Have you seen parts of Brum? :puke: both cities certainly have their good and bad areas :lol: Like most cities to be fair!

Oh haha which parts and are they not nice? I've heard Selly Oak which is near the university is a bit unsafe so I feel like I'd be scared walking back home late from a lab or lecture at Notts I think this is less of an issue.
I didnt mention it earlier but I actually started at UoN but I had to leave due to ill health and yes the campus is absolutely lovely. Only issue is I do also quite like Birmingham and it's slightly further away so may be better for me. Thank you

I would much rather live in Birmingham than Nottingham as an adult. But as a student it is rather different, as you would be living in student areas.
I would much rather live in Birmingham than Nottingham as an adult. But as a student it is rather different, as you would be living in student areas.

I do prefer Birmingham however having been to Notts it was still good. I just feel like Bham would be better but the unistats I've seen for Bham Biochemistry is making me feel disheartened. I'm not sure why the percentages are so low.
Original post by BurstingBubbles

I know both cities quite well, and Birmingham has some great areas to live in, shop and dine out. The bar and club scene in Birmingham is dire, however.
Oh haha which parts and are they not nice? I've heard Selly Oak which is near the university is a bit unsafe so I feel like I'd be scared walking back home late from a lab or lecture at Notts I think this is less of an issue.

Selly Oak is not the best area, but it is rammed with student houses, and is right on the door step of the university. There are lots of nice areas in Birmingham - Sutton Coldfield, Bourneville, Solihull, Edgbaston, Moseley, parts of Kings Heath, to name a few.

Birmingham: Edgbaston and Harborne are nice. Bourneville is nice too and closer to the campus but will be expensive to live in. The centre itself and north of the city isn't always as nice.

Nottingham: usual student areas are Lenton and Beeston which are okay ish. Nicer parts include West Bridgford, Edwalton, Ruddington - but again these are expensive to live in. Wilford is okay too. Less nice areas again are closer to the centre like St Ann's, some areas of the meadows, some areas of Bulwell.

I know both cities quite well, and Birmingham has some great areas to live in, shop and dine out. The bar and club scene in Birmingham is dire, however.

I've lived in both as a working adult and personally preferred Nottingham. But its down to preference, of course :smile: I like going back to Birmingham for the day or weekend to see friends and go shopping etc. though.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending