The Student Room Group

Class of 2021 A-level Chinese students?

Hi!

I'm a Chinese student currently studying A-levels and I'll be going to uni next year!
I was wondering if there are any other Chinese students here on TSR that are in the same class year as me. Maybe we could help try to encourage each other in our studies! (It's so nice to find other people in the same boat, really motivates me personally).

But yeah. It'd be nice to see if there are any other Chinese fellows here (though of course non-Chinese people are welcome to also make friends/chat!). :biggrin:

I don't have many Chinese fellows doing A-level (most of which are in private schools or extremely smart, I can't help but feel isolated due to these kinds, it's kind of like you're an outsider for not being smart enough...) I thought maybe meeting more people would be nice.

(Also, if this isn't allowed, feel free to remove the post!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hellowo
Hi!

I'm a Chinese student currently studying A-levels and I'll be going to uni next year!
I was wondering if there are any other Chinese students here on TSR that are in the same class year as me. Maybe we could help try to encourage each other in our studies! (It's so nice to find other people in the same boat, really motivates me personally).

But yeah. It'd be nice to see if there are any other Chinese fellows here (though of course non-Chinese people are welcome to also make friends/chat!). :biggrin:

I don't have many Chinese fellows doing A-level (most of which are in private schools or extremely smart, I can't help but feel isolated due to these kinds, it's kind of like you're an outsider for not being smart enough...) I thought maybe meeting more people would be nice.

(Also, if this isn't allowed, feel free to remove the post!)

I am from HK and will be taking A levels in 2021. Applying for UCAS. Have you taken the IELTS too? I took it a month ago and got 8.0.
Hiyah! Chinese doing y12 here. Which uni do u aspire to go?
Reply 3
Original post by 8013
I am from HK and will be taking A levels in 2021. Applying for UCAS. Have you taken the IELTS too? I took it a month ago and got 8.0.

Hiii,
I won’t be taking IELTS because I was born hereee.
But wow, 8.0 is a really good score, that’s amazing! What are you planning on doing in Uni?
Reply 4
Original post by Morgania
Hiyah! Chinese doing y12 here. Which uni do u aspire to go?

Helloooo!

I’m looking at UCL, Edinburgh, Lancaster and either Manchester or Imperial. What about you?
Same here, whenever I hear my parents talk about other kids studying in private schools and have achieved all this and that I feel like a dumbo. This doesn't help that I want to apply to medicine as well :frown:
Hellooo hellooo nice to meet you all, British born Chinese here who just finished year 13 :nyan:
Reply 7
Original post by SoonToDelete
Same here, whenever I hear my parents talk about other kids studying in private schools and have achieved all this and that I feel like a dumbo. This doesn't help that I want to apply to medicine as well :frown:

Medicine applicant here too. I know, it just feels awful knowing that there are people like that. But personally, I think it’s a good way to motivate myself to keep going, so that I can become better. (I’m not against people going to private schools etc, I have some friends from private schools too).

I personally go to a normal state school so yeah, you can’t help but feel slightly dumb sometimes. But that’s ok, we can do it!
Reply 8
Original post by neko no basu
Hellooo hellooo nice to meet you all, British born Chinese here who just finished year 13 :nyan:

Hellooooo, BBC here too!
How did your A-levels go?
Original post by Hellowo
Hellooooo, BBC here too!
How did your A-levels go?

Ayyyyy *virtual high five*

My A levels went well, 2 of my grades were pulled down by the ever-so-reliable Ofqual (thanks a lot!) :cry:but can't complain too much cos 2 of my friends had ALL of their grades pulled down by 1 even though I reckon they should have got higher.
Reply 10
Ayyyyy *virtual high five*

My A levels went well, 2 of my grades were pulled down by the ever-so-reliable Ofqual (thanks a lot!) :cry:but can't complain too much cos 2 of my friends had ALL of their grades pulled down by 1 even though I reckon they should have got higher.

I knowww, I saw that grades got pulled down and it's awful. None of you deserved it.
Did you still get into the uni of your choice or?
Original post by Hellowo
I knowww, I saw that grades got pulled down and it's awful. None of you deserved it.
Did you still get into the uni of your choice or?

I did! So that's all good I suppose 👍

Well done! I am waiting for my GCSEs next Thursday, hopefully the algorithm doesn't let me down. Best luck to you:smile:
Original post by Hellowo
Helloooo!

I’m looking at UCL, Edinburgh, Lancaster and either Manchester or Imperial. What about you?

Nice to meet yaa! I am thinking about Brighton&Sussex Medical School and they are my favourite. I wanna do medicine as well:hugs:
Reply 14
Original post by Hellowo
Hiii,
I won’t be taking IELTS because I was born hereee.
But wow, 8.0 is a really good score, that’s amazing! What are you planning on doing in Uni?

Mechanical engineering. I am applying both in HK and UK.
For the UK courses, I am applying for Leeds, Sheffield, Imperial (as a reach school), and still considering the 2 other choices.
Reply 15

Hey that's good then, I'm really happy for you! Would you mind telling what you're going to be studying?
Reply 16
Nice to meet yaa! I am thinking about Brighton&Sussex Medical School and they are my favourite. I wanna do medicine as well:hugs:

yesss
Are you doing the virtual work experience too?
I'm loving it so far, I just finished the emergency medicine section.
Reply 17
Original post by 8013
Mechanical engineering. I am applying both in HK and UK.
For the UK courses, I am applying for Leeds, Sheffield, Imperial (as a reach school), and still considering the 2 other choices.

That's so cool.
I could never do engineering (I'm really bad at physics) so I admire everyone who does engineering haha
will the other two be HK universities or can you do 5 UK uni plus a number of HK unis?
Original post by Hellowo
yesss
Are you doing the virtual work experience too?
I'm loving it so far, I just finished the emergency medicine section.

OMG i just finished and absolutely love it. The virtual experience just motivates me to read books about medical ethics and medical laws, and I am hoping to do my EPQ about it. I hope get a real-life experience anytime soon:h:
Reply 19
OMG i just finished and absolutely love it. The virtual experience just motivates me to read books about medical ethics and medical laws, and I am hoping to do my EPQ about it. I hope get a real-life experience anytime soon:h:

That's really good! I loved the emergency section with the interactive first aid game, my CPR push timings are awful but I enjoyed it.
It's really nice that you already have an idea for your EPQ, wish you good luck with it!
Since i saw above you're waiting for your GCSEs, I'm assuming you're in year 11. Try to get as many hospital, care homes or volunteering in charity shops etc. if you can. My application took 6 months (I started in October and corona came). Luckily I'm going to start volunteering in a hospital next week on the wards, so really exciteddd. I'll share my experiences with you if you'd like :h:

Quick Reply

Latest