The Student Room Group

An Oxford Uni College is accepting all offer students regardless of results awarded

Wow. one of the colleges at Oxford uni have announced that any student with a firm offer with them will now get a place regardless of whether they met the entry requirement grades or not. Effectively turning all their offers for that college into unconditional ones.

I wish all other universities would do this? Any chance?

And it’s almost like they are saying that they do not now believe or trust anyone else’s predictions and awards, and decided to rely on their own application process that they have offered places to the right students.

Just to clarify - tthis is for one of the Oxford University Colleges , not all of them. But we’re taking Oxford Uni here folks!!!

And here is the link to the BBC news story about it. ‘Oxford, will honour offers despite results’ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-53780498
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is specifically Worcester College, not Oxford Uni. There's a big difference lol.
Reply 2
Original post by MGrogan
Wow. Oxford uni have announced that any student with a firm offer with them will now get a place regardless of whether they met the entry requirement grades or not. Effectively turning all their offers into unconditional ones.

And it’s almost like they are saying that they do not now believe or trust anyone else’s predictions and awards, and decided to rely on their own application process that they have offered places to the right students.

By the way , I think this is for one of the Oxford University Colleges , not all. But we’re taking Oxford Uni here folks!!!

And here is the link to the BBC news story about it. ‘Oxford, will honour offers despite results’ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-53780498
Original post by MGrogan

Its Worcester college. which is obviously part of the university but not the whole uni.

It would be great if every college could do this but their are administrative limits that would prevent any uni of a decent size from doing this.
Reply 4
Original post by MGrogan
Wow. Oxford uni have announced that any student with a firm offer with them will now get a place regardless of whether they met the entry requirement grades or not. Effectively turning all their offers into unconditional ones.

By the way , I think this is for one of the Oxford University Colleges , not all. But we’re taking Oxford Uni here folks!!!

Damn, you got my hopes up.

Your thread title and most of your post is simply false.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Why a big difference - it’s one of the main colleges of Oxford university ?
Original post by MGrogan
Why a big difference - it’s one of the main colleges of Oxford university ?

Oxford admissions works different to other unis, normally these sort of decisions would happen in a faculty or school. But at Oxford the college makes admissions decisions.

There are also factors around how many offers they've given out and what their typical yield is. There are also considerations for the student number cap this year and how many students they can safely support in the college.

Its really great they can do this, but this is more the exception to the rule.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
Oxford admissions works different to other unis, normally these sort of decisions would happen in a faculty or school. But at Oxford the college makes admissions decisions.

Not sure how in relation to admissions desicion policy from a College at Oxford, is that different to a Businss School at a red brick, or a Medicine or Sports Faculty at regular uni?
Reply 8
Original post by OxMus
Damn, you got my hopes up.

Your thread title and most of your post is simply false.

Agree that the title is a bit misleading. It is part of Oxford Uni offering entry to all offers, not the entire university But I am limited by characters, but will see if i can amend.

Disagree that the rest is false. It is copied from a BBC press release, which I have supplied the link to. So not sure how the main info is misleading?
Original post by MGrogan
Not sure how in relation to admissions desicion policy from a College at Oxford, is that different to a Businss School at a red brick, or a Medicine or Sports Faculty at regular uni?

Well im not sure all centralised faculty admissions teams would have the same flexibility.
Worcester only has 400 undergrads, which is probably like 100-130 students per year across a variety of faculties and they have additional data (from admissions tests and interviews).
Im also pretty sure Worcester dont have to worry about accepting students from a wide variety of streams as well (i.e most unis take firm students, insurance choice students & clearing).
I dont think they compare in logistically.
Something worth noting though is that generally Oxford offer-holders tend to achieve their offers (unlike Cambridge where there is sometimes more of a discrepancy in offers vs successes). For Worcester College specifically, over the last 3 years 93% of those made an offer achieved it - so they can be pretty confident almost all of them would've achieved their offers anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
Well im not sure all centralised faculty admissions teams would have the same flexibility.
Worcester only has 400 undergrads, which is probably like 100-130 students per year across a variety of faculties and they have additional data (from admissions tests and interviews).
Im also pretty sure Worcester dont have to worry about accepting students from a wide variety of streams as well (i.e most unis take firm students, insurance choice students & clearing).
I dont think they compare in logistically.

Yes, I see what you mean. Very nice though for Worcester Oxford uni offer students that they are doing this. But as you say, they have that additional dataset to rely on for their offer cohort. Meanwhile, the rest of us need to await anxiously the specifics of the 'Triple Lock' appeal process.
Reply 12
Original post by MGrogan
Agree that the title is a bit misleading. It is part of Oxford Uni offering entry to all offers, not the entire university But I am limited by characters, but will see if i can amend.

Disagree that the rest is false. It is copied from a BBC press release, which I have supplied the link to. So not sure how the main info is misleading?

Your original assertion that the university is accepting all offer holders is false. Much of the rest of your post was made on the basis of this assertion. You corrected yourself only at the end of your post, although I’m pleased that you’ve since updated the rest.

I don’t entirely blame you, though: you seem to be under the misapprehension that the University = all of the colleges put together, and so a college = a chunk of the university. This is, in fact, not the case. See https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/organisation
@The_Lonely_Goatherd

any thoughts ?
Original post by the bear
@The_Lonely_Goatherd

any thoughts ?

Very proud of my college! :biggrin:
Wadham College have virtually followed suit. Statement this morning summarised. 83% of students met offer as usual, Wadham usually offer clemency to another third of the remaining 17%but this year have offered clemency to 3/4s of the 17%.Nothing less than I would expect from Wadham who have long been committed to widening access.
Reply 16
Hertford have, too.

Pembroke have admitted anyone within one grade, and have admitted some that were short by two grades.
Jesus again very close to the Wadham model. Christchurch have biggest intake ever, have admitted 93%of state school missed offers and all access students. Also guaranteed places deferred for those achieving grades by exam or appeal.
Oxford making us proud.
Oxford have always been very sceptical of predicted grades - they often bear little relation to reality.

Given they only over-offer but 10%ish, and use lots of other methods to assess applicants, they can do this.

No other uni can though. Oxbridge works very differently to anywhere else.
Original post by nexttime
Oxford have always been very sceptical of predicted grades - they often bear little relation to reality.

Given they only over-offer but 10%ish, and use lots of other methods to assess applicants, they can do this.

No other uni can though. Oxbridge works very differently to anywhere else.

Very true but Cambridge have been much less forgiving as usual though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending