The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Parents

Is there a forum for Imperial students / offer holder parents? If not can one be started please. I notice there is one for Oxford and Cambridge.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hills20
Is there a forum for Imperial students / offer holder parents? If not can one be started please. I notice there is one for Oxford and Cambridge.

Why do you think you need one? You could start one but, as a parent myself, I really can't see the point. Students are adults ...
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by hills20

@Oxford Mum
I can't see a thread for Imperial Parents myself, but, as Doones once pointed out to me when I was setting up the Oxford parents association, TSR can be just as useful for parents as students. I must admit, that after 86,000 views of my Oxford parents thread, I have made many friends and we have swapped tips about local restaurants, hotels, parking arrangements, what to bring etc. Then, when you have insider knowledge, you can pass it on to upcoming parents.

The choice is up to you, but there's nothing wrong with it at all. The alternative is Mumsnet. I joined for one day before leaving. The less said, the better.

How do you start a new thread? Go to the Imperial prospective students thread. Look at the top of the page. There is an orange button saying "start new discussion" (important to request new thread whilst looking at imperial thread, as you want the thread to be in the Imperial section of TSR) and call it, I dunno, the Imperial university parents' association or something of that nature. Post and see what happens.

Sounds like quite an adventure to me, some admissions people may join in as well, and graduates. I have certainly met loads of interesting people on my thread.

Good luck.
Reply 4
Thanks @Oxford Mum for the encouragement. I believe my post created a thread already. Hopefully there are some current parents around to provide tips to parents of offerholders.
@hillls20

Great idea - it's funny but I was wondering if there was a similar thread for Imperial and here it is. Excellent source of info for students and parents alike - everyone, no matter what their age, needs a helping hand from time-to-time :wink:
Reply 6
I am not aware of any for Imperial parents. Welcome to set one up. There is one for Oxford parents. Did you have any specific questions anyone here can u help you out with ?
Reply 7
Original post by Oxford Mum
I can't see a thread for Imperial Parents myself, but, as Doones once pointed out to me when I was setting up the Oxford parents association, TSR can be just as useful for parents as students. I must admit, that after 86,000 views of my Oxford parents thread, I have made many friends and we have swapped tips about local restaurants, hotels, parking arrangements, what to bring etc. Then, when you have insider knowledge, you can pass it on to upcoming parents.

The choice is up to you, but there's nothing wrong with it at all. The alternative is Mumsnet. I joined for one day before leaving. The less said, the better.

How do you start a new thread? Go to the Imperial prospective students thread. Look at the top of the page. There is an orange button saying "start new discussion" (important to request new thread whilst looking at imperial thread, as you want the thread to be in the Imperial section of TSR) and call it, I dunno, the Imperial university parents' association or something of that nature. Post and see what happens.

Sounds like quite an adventure to me, some admissions people may join in as well, and graduates. I have certainly met loads of interesting people on my thread.

Good luck.

There are quite a few threads on mumsnet for Oxbridge offer holders / prospective students and general offer holders / prospective students. I had a quick gander.
Reply 8

Good luck.

There are quite a few threads on mumsnet for Oxbridge offer holders / prospective students and general offer holders / prospective students. I had a quick gander.
Original post by 161BMW

We're friendlier on TSR than mumsnet, or at least most of us are :smile:

@Oxford Mum is one of the friendliest people around which is why TSR parents and students rate her so highly
Original post by 161BMW

There's nothing specific on Imperial on Mumsnet. I was trawling through the other day and saw that someone had asked questions months ago, with little or no replies.
And I should have added, Congratulations to all your sons/daughters who got into Imperial this year - it has been a particuarly stressful year so please let me know if you have any UCAS type questions
Original post by harrysbar
And I should have added, Congratulations to all your sons/daughters who got into Imperial this year - it has been a particuarly stressful year so please let me know if you have any UCAS type questions

@harrysbar - Thanks :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by 5CopperPipes
There's nothing specific on Imperial on Mumsnet. I was trawling through the other day and saw that someone had asked questions months ago, with little or no replies.

Yeah there is not much Imperial specific. There is a long Oxbridge thread which seemed friendly enough.
Thanks @harrysbar for bringing things back to Imperial:biggrin: Soooo- are there any Imperial parents out there?
Original post by 161BMW

Rather you than me. I will be gandering on Mumsnet no longer.
Thanks @harrysbar for bringing things back to Imperial:biggrin: Soooo- are there any Imperial parents out there?

I hope that some Imperial parents reply soon. Have patience, as I started with only two mums on my Oxford thread, but now have 86,000 views.
Reply 17
Rather you than me. I will be gandering on Mumsnet no longer.

Lol. Why is that ? Thread seemed ok.
Reply 18
I hope that some Imperial parents reply soon. Have patience, as I started with only two mums on my Oxford thread, but now have 86,000 views.

Perhaps a post about this thread in the Oxbridge parent threads might be helpful - some parents might have children at both places.
Reply 19

I am one - but for one just joining and looking for tips from other parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending