The Student Room Group

Meeting my online boyfriend

Hello!
Tomorrow I am meeting my online boyfriend for the first time! We're both bringing friends due to anxiety etc etc But I don't know how to greet him when we do meet! What do I say even though I've known him for a long time now? Do I hug him immediately? I'm so confused plz help sos lolol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eevee03
Hello!
Tomorrow I am meeting my online boyfriend for the first time! We're both bringing friends due to anxiety etc etc But I don't know how to greet him when we do meet! What do I say even though I've known him for a long time now? Do I hug him immediately? I'm so confused plz help sos lolol

How old are you?
Spreading the virus, nice. Just say hi or something like you would a video call.
Reply 3
Wow I couldn't imagine taking friends to an event like that :s-smilie: Wouldn't really want spectators for such a special personal moment. I would certainly hug him at some point though :lol:
Original post by 2_versions
Spreading the virus, nice. Just say hi or something like you would a video call.

I bet this boyfriemd wants to sexually exploit her.
Original post by Anonymous

:redface: oh ok
Reply 6

did you not read the anxiety thing already, dont stress her out even more

really?? great work anon 😐 just increase anxiety a little bit yeh
If you are young and anxious about this, it could be a good idea to bring friends.

After all, this boyfriend could be anyone, can't he?

You don't have to hug if you don't want to.. maybe discuss this with your boyfriend before you meet.

I have met two online men who were flirting with me, and they were both disappointments. Neither of them were what I was expecting, and both of them were quite different from their photos. One of them looked so old, he reminded me of my grandad. I chose to meet both in a public place and I made sure it was close to my home and I was not reliant on the men to give me a lift home (although one of them asked, and he was probably being polite, but I was wise enough to chose somewhere I could walk back to).

On the other hand, you may be pleasantly surprised. in that case, you can make arrangements to meet again. If he is rubbish, you can go off with your friend to party somewhere else.

How old are you, by the way?
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah, this girl should be.

The 'online boyfriend' is just a cover up and the girl needs to know that the so called boyfriend is going to sexually exploit her and dump her afterwards.

She will be crying then afterwards.

Better to be cautious and safe and know the consequences then regret later on!

One should never meet anonline boyfriend even if thwy are taking few friends from both side.

she knows to take caution otherwise she wouldnt bother with bringing her friends.

not everyone online is looking to have sex mayte
I've been in a long-distance relationship before, even recently, and can you honestly say he's your boyfriend when he hasn't first taken you out on an official date? Also, bringing friends to a romantic meeting isn't the best idea in the world if you ask me, not very intimate at all, and that'll probably hinder how well you get on in person. I mean, if you're taking them for the reasons Oxford Mum brought up, can you legitimately call him your boyfriend? Have you not established that amount of trust or even those levels of feelings yet? And if that's so, isn't it too soon to be meeting? Not to rain on your parade, but I'm under the distinct impression that this isn't a very serious affair at all.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CoryDeAth
I've been in a long-distance relationship before, even recently, and can you honestly say he's your boyfriend when he hasn't first taken you out on an official date? Also, bringing friends to a romantic meeting isn't the best idea in the world if you ask me, not very intimate at all, and that'll probably hinder how well you get on in person. I'm under the impression this isn't a very serious affair at all.

Exactly, thats what i was trying to say all along....you have kindly reiterated my point.

Whike she may think that he is her 'boyfriend' who she met online,that lad/dude may be using her to sexually exploit her and make videos of her.
Yeah, this girl should be.

The 'online boyfriend' is just a cover up and the girl needs to know that the so called boyfriend is going to sexually exploit her and dump her afterwards.

She will be crying then afterwards.

Better to be cautious and safe and know the consequences then regret later on!

One should never meet anonline boyfriend even if thwy are taking few friends from both side.

What is the point in making OP even more anxious?
She obviously knows about the dangers of meeting someone from online, or she wouldn't be taking her friends with her.

To answer your question OP, just do whatever you're comfortable with/whatever feels right. If you meet him and you want to hug, go for it! If it doesn't feel right then just ask him how he's doing, and the convo will hopefully flow from there
Original post by wastedcuriosity
What is the point in making OP even more anxious?
She obviously knows about the dangers of meeting someone from online, or she wouldn't be taking her friends with her.

To answer your question OP, just do whatever you're comfortable with/whatever feels right. If you meet him and you want to hug, go for it! If it doesn't feel right then just ask him how he's doing, and the convo will hopefully flow from there

I am not making her anxious.

This is hard reality.

She needs to understand that the whole Online Boyfriend thing is a drama.
I am not making her anxious.

This is hard reality.

She needs to understand that the whole Online Boyfriend thing is a drama.

It's not always the reality. Of course, it's a huge risk, but I know friends who are in very happy relationships that have started online.
Not all men on the internet are looking to exploit people
It's not always the reality. Of course, it's a huge risk, but I know friends who are in very happy relationships that have started online.

How old is this girl?
Exactly, thats what i was trying to say all along....you have kindly reiterated my point.

Whike she may think that he is her 'boyfriend' who she met online,that lad/dude may be using her to sexually exploit her and make videos of her.

Oddly specific, but nonetheless a valid point.

I completely agree! My would've been girlfriend (whom I met online) and I had an amazing year or so together, and though we decided to call it off before things got too serious (as we likely couldn't make it work through both of us going to different universities, etc.) it's been the best year off my life! :^_^: Generalising all online relationships as being the product of exploitation isn't quite right!
Reply 17
Okay okay- Right- We're literally only taking friends for the sake of security. Me and my boyfriend have never met before and we'll have like a moment alone away from my friends to go on our first date- He's not going to sexually exploit me. I'm 17 and i'm very strong minded in that category so trust me, he won't be doing that anytime soon.
I know exactly what he looks like, we've video called like 10'000 times-
Original post by Eevee03
Okay okay- Right- We're literally only taking friends for the sake of security. Me and my boyfriend have never met before and we'll have like a moment alone away from my friends to go on our first date- He's not going to sexually exploit me. I'm 17 and i'm very strong minded in that category so trust me, he won't be doing that anytime soon.
I know exactly what he looks like, we've video called like 10'000 times-

Just making sure you are safe, that's all.
I had an online friend and we meet in real life after 3 years and we got on super well and had a great time together. However looking back investing time into a friendship with someone who never met is actually fukin insane.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending