The Student Room Group

anxiety at school

hi. i have anxiety and i get panic attacks as well. for the past year (which was year 10 for me), when i started to get severe anxiety at school, i had permission to just leave my lessons whenever i needed to take a break. in about february, i started leaving lessons almost everyday. i was getting anxious about worrying that i would feel anxious at school if that makes sense. i ended the year on a low, having a horrendous panic attack where the nurse came to me and sent me home. i then didn't go in for the last few days of school before we broke up because of covid. i am now more anxious about going back to school after leaving on such a low. i am petrified for my gcses. my grades are good - i am predicted all 7s, 8s and 9s but tend to have panic attacks in exams. i am having a separate room for gcses and mocks but am still nervous that i will panic and not achieve my full potential. as someone who is a perfectionist and really wants good grades, leaving lessons frequently makes me anxious about the school work i am missing. i do cognitive behavioural therapy and am most likely going on medication after a couple weeks back to school but i don't know if that will help enough. any advice would be much appreciated as i am so anxious about going back to school, not to mention the unknown and all the school work we have missed due to covid!!
i dislike trying to guide someone through life as it can end badly or seems pathetic but what i’d like to say is what helps me and soothes me when i’m feeling panicked is as a fellow perfectionist who has dealt with various forms of OCD in my life try to think logically about whatever is causing your panic for example in an exam the panic may be that youll do badly my suggestion would be thinking along the lines of well panicking may make me do even worse so just try to relax and question your worries like this is only one exam and if i don’t succeed in this i have other options such as... then work through the exam taking your time, time management used to be something that panicked me in an exam so i used to take 2 minutes at the start to calculate how many minutes i have for each question or per mark and of say i’ve done 10 1 mark questions in 10 minutes and i have 90 seconds per mark i know that i have time to spare and to ease my way though being confident brings around success and efficiency, its a mean paradox of you worry about things which makes those worries come true due to you not being able to focus properly so just remember that panicking in itself may lead to failure so see it as an enemy not to fear and worry about it but to work confidently on combating it, its quite morbid but i like to think about how i’m insignificant in the pointless universe and no matter what i do nothing will be significantly altered in the grand scheme of things, the only thing i tru concern myself with is morals and my own happiness, but yeah feel free to ignore all of this i’m just saying arrogantly what works for myself so
Reply 2
Original post by anonymousacso
i dislike trying to guide someone through life as it can end badly or seems pathetic but what i’d like to say is what helps me and soothes me when i’m feeling panicked is as a fellow perfectionist who has dealt with various forms of OCD in my life try to think logically about whatever is causing your panic for example in an exam the panic may be that youll do badly my suggestion would be thinking along the lines of well panicking may make me do even worse so just try to relax and question your worries like this is only one exam and if i don’t succeed in this i have other options such as... then work through the exam taking your time, time management used to be something that panicked me in an exam so i used to take 2 minutes at the start to calculate how many minutes i have for each question or per mark and of say i’ve done 10 1 mark questions in 10 minutes and i have 90 seconds per mark i know that i have time to spare and to ease my way though being confident brings around success and efficiency, its a mean paradox of you worry about things which makes those worries come true due to you not being able to focus properly so just remember that panicking in itself may lead to failure so see it as an enemy not to fear and worry about it but to work confidently on combating it, its quite morbid but i like to think about how i’m insignificant in the pointless universe and no matter what i do nothing will be significantly altered in the grand scheme of things, the only thing i tru concern myself with is morals and my own happiness, but yeah feel free to ignore all of this i’m just saying arrogantly what works for myself so

hi thank you! that all makes so much sense. i definitely think that telling myself that it is not the end of the world if i were to do badly would help me a lot. thanks for all the advice

Quick Reply

Latest