The Student Room Group

Can I study LLB Law with an iPad Pro 2020?

Hi all,
So I'm at the stage where I've saved up enough to buy a new device for Uni classes as my old laptop broke.

The issue I'm having is that I really like the look of the new iPad Pro with a Pencil and Keyboard but something is saying I may struggle with it in Law.

I already have a desktop that runs Windows and that will be in my room at Uni so realistically this is just something to throw in my bag and take to class or study wherever necessary using it.

I guess I just need advice from previous Law students who've done something similar as I'm completely unaware of the sites and resources I will have to use over the 3 year course and the last thing I need is to have it all ready and then not be able to access certain resources through IOS or whatever it may be.

Scroll to see replies

So iPad would be used for reading pdfs of articles then? And making notes in class. We got our lecture slides either as a PowerPoint presentation or sometimes they had PDF’s that. So I used a converter to convert it back to PowerPoint (not 100% reliable but worked 95% of the time)
So does the iPad handle PowerPoint?
Can it access west law and download pdf?
Do you have a printer to use on desktop to print essays out to proof read?
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine1973
So iPad would be used for reading pdfs of articles then? And making notes in class. We got our lecture slides either as a PowerPoint presentation or sometimes they had PDF’s that. So I used a converter to convert it back to PowerPoint (not 100% reliable but worked 95% of the time)
So does the iPad handle PowerPoint?
Can it access west law and download pdf?
Do you have a printer to use on desktop to print essays out to proof read?

Pretty much, yeah. Everything to do with being in class would be done on the iPad.
According to the web, iPads can download PDF and there is a PowerPoint IOS version to use. Not sure what West Law is and yes I have a printer for my desktop in my room.
Reply 3
you don't need access to online legal resources while you're in lecturers and seminars; you can totally get by with a pad and paper. personally never seen anyone with an iPad studying an llb, only laptops and notebooks, and either way you head to the library after lecture or seminar to use your laptop or a library computer unless you go home to study. unless you're used to writing notes on an iPad, it sounds like a fun toy but not the most needed or practical purchase. jmho
Reply 4
Original post by Joleee
you don't need access to online legal resources while you're in lecturers and seminars; you can totally get by with a pad and paper. personally never seen anyone with an iPad studying an llb, only laptops and notebooks, and either way you head to the library after lecture or seminar to use your laptop or a library computer unless you go home to study. unless you're used to writing notes on an iPad, it sounds like a fun toy but not the most needed or practical purchase. jmho

Well my laptop that I had broke and I obviously have a desktop already so I thought the iPad Pro would be a good enough stand-in device to use to look at resources and take notes without the carrying of paper and all that. Just makes my life easier but if you have any other options, I'm open to them. The new MacBooks dont come out for a while aswell so I was just going to get the iPad and use it as my laptop.
Reply 5
Original post by WelshKopite
Well my laptop that I had broke and I obviously have a desktop already so I thought the iPad Pro would be a good enough stand-in device to use to look at resources and take notes without the carrying of paper and all that. Just makes my life easier but if you have any other options, I'm open to them. The new MacBooks dont come out for a while aswell so I was just going to get the iPad and use it as my laptop.

THe iPad Pro would more than suffice. I am typing this on my iPad Pro and constantly use it for accessing resources for Court and doing research for a court case on the fly. It is lighter than carrying around a laptop and is more flexible as well as you can remove the keyboard etc at your leisure.

I do caution you though, due to the use of the iPad Pro in conjunction with your home based Windows computer. You should be fine as the software should be compatible, but do your research
Reply 6
Original post by vnupe
THe iPad Pro would more than suffice. I am typing this on my iPad Pro and constantly use it for accessing resources for Court and doing research for a court case on the fly. It is lighter than carrying around a laptop and is more flexible as well as you can remove the keyboard etc at your leisure.

I do caution you though, due to the use of the iPad Pro in conjunction with your home based Windows computer. You should be fine as the software should be compatible, but do your research

What software are we talking about here? Are there any individual apps that conflict when studying Law between Windows and IOS?
Reply 7
What software are we talking about here? Are there any individual apps that conflict when studying Law between Windows and IOS?

Word and other note taking apps
Reply 8

you don't need to look at resources during lectures and seminars. a pen and paper will suffice. are you planning on studying in the library with access to a computer? or in your flat where your computer is set up?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Joleee
you don't need to look at resources during lectures and seminars. a pen and paper will suffice. are you planning on studying in the library with access to a computer? or in your flat where your computer is set up?

In my room to be honest
Original post by Joleee

And to be honest, I was hoping this would replace pen and paper. I dont want to have to make individual folders and lug them around every time I need to go to class or back home. An iPad seems so much more sensible
I do everything with paper and I only carry round minimal paper. Just this weeks lectures to write on for lectures and the tutorials reading/lecture for those.
I’ve not seen anyone with an iPad for lectures, it’s all laptops (or paper/pen)
I do everything with paper and I only carry round minimal paper. Just this weeks lectures to write on for lectures and the tutorials reading/lecture for those.
I’ve not seen anyone with an iPad for lectures, it’s all laptops (or paper/pen)

But you wouldn't say it would be a bad choice, no? I'm trying to minimalist the need for paper so everything is in one place
I would say get one if you really want one. I think it would be a faf to make notes on that and then have to transfer it over to your Pc to consolidate.

Its more the interaction between 2 systems (mac and pc) i'd be concerned about.
I would say get one if you really want one. I think it would be a faf to make notes on that and then have to transfer it over to your Pc to consolidate.

Its more the interaction between 2 systems (mac and pc) i'd be concerned about.

The Pro is actually perfect for notes, but I see your point about the PC and IOS. I am really torn right now.
Software like Noteability makes is super easy for accessing and creating notes so I see no issue there and typing speed is pretty irrelevant for me because I tend to have a slightly above average speed anyway.
And I just find the iPad Pro a more sensible choice when Macbooks are moving to silicone soon anyway. I need something for next month and the Macbooks are already more expensive than an iPad Pro, with the added silicone thing it kinda makes the current Macbooks look pointless to me. I still like the idea of being able to hand draw my notes and analyse things better than a Macbook which is just simply a laptop
Yes, I dont see the issue with hand-written stuff on an iPad replacing paper. And as for analysis, I mean it offers me the ability to use certain apps or features that make my notes easy to read or use. Like taking a picture of a sheet of paper and analysing it with annotations, highlighting etc.

Also I never claimed to know more, that's why I asked for help on whether I should invest in an iPad Pro for my classes. I already have a Windows desktop, I just wanted opinions on whether I should bother getting a laptop aswell or get a tablet that is easier in terms of portability and functionality. I havent studied law yet, so I am unaware of the programs and stuff used
Reply 17
iPad offers a really nice reading experience but for an LLB I'd say that's as much use as it'll be.

You're going to be doing a hell of a lot of writing and will benefit from a good laptop (MacBook). I tried doing the degree on an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard (the days before we had the smart cover) and my God I gave up and bought a Mac after a week.
Original post by FRS500
iPad offers a really nice reading experience but for an LLB I'd say that's as much use as it'll be.

You're going to be doing a hell of a lot of writing and will benefit from a good laptop (MacBook). I tried doing the degree on an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard (the days before we had the smart cover) and my God I gave up and bought a Mac after a week.

That's interesting, but from what I can gather an iPad is actually extremely comparable to a Macbook now. I watched loads of reviews and people were actually saying to get the iPad over the Macbook for it's better features and everything else. Not sure what to do, could even get a Tab S7+.
Reply 19
That's interesting, but from what I can gather an iPad is actually extremely comparable to a Macbook now. I watched loads of reviews and people were actually saying to get the iPad over the Macbook for it's better features and everything else. Not sure what to do, could even get a Tab S7+.

They are nowadays in terms of performance yeah. It's different strokes for different folks tbh. I would say go to a shop, toy around with the iPad + keyboard if you can. Get a feel for it first at least.

Tbh the keyboard thing is my preference. For work I still very much like to use both iPad and Mac. Everything serves a purpose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending