The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by APPLICANT2016
It would be very unfair if Med schools did NOT consider any resit for this years cohort as their first attempt. Surely a no brainer.

Certainly for October, but the issue is around next Summer exams, especially if people have also done the autumn ones, as then they have, technically, had 3 "years" (or certainly a year longer than next year's normal cohort) and 2 goes at an exam, so one is a resit.
I just think the logistics of determining who is a genuine resit and who is a "first sitter" will be more hassle than it's worth and all exams this next year will be treated as a first sitting
Hiya,
This year was kinda crazy, huh...
So basically, I held an AAA offer for a medical school but missed it significantly.
Anyhoo, I’m considering privately taking the 2021 summer A levels as I was given BBC this time around (history, chem, bio) although my CAG grades were higher (still would have to resit but in a significantly stronger position). And before you ask, I’ve spoken to my school and I don’t think I can appeal. I just think realistically, there isn’t enough time for me to do three A levels in the autumn series. However, I’m really afraid of how these grades will affect my chance at gaining a place at a medical school since you have to declare it on UCAS. I’m 100% sure I can achieve at least my predictions but I don’t know if I’d secure a place.
I’m feeling really anxious about it and wanted to get some advice on this.
Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ukheman
The plan was for him to retake UCAT .. Yes he will need to redo this before application deadline October 2020 regardless don't waste time thinking of this. Just get it done

Don't worry about results being issued Dec... as he will either get a conditional or unconditional offer

More clarification will be realised with regards predicated grades for UCAS (predicted grades were A*AA last year) but at the moment deal with what you can do..

UCAT / Work Experience maybe BMAT Check what Mock grade he obtained during 2020 the school can tell you this.

He can appeal his C in Physics and this will be overturned if his mock was higher so he will be applying with AAMock and if the As are in Biology and or Chemistry is his pretty much there..

Do not worry he will be get a place next cycle.. again UCAT must be sat

3 August 2020

Testing begins

17 September 2020 (midday)

Registration closes

Web booking closes

Access Arrangements / UCATSEN application deadline

30 September 2020 (midday)

Final booking deadline (for registered candidates)

1 October 2020

Last testing date

Bursary application deadline (4pm)

15 October 2020

UCAS application deadline

Early November 2020

Results delivered to universities
hi another quick question. Let us say he resits the exams in summer,who can give him academic reference as he will have been out of school all those months?
Original post by Tintubmum
hi another quick question. Let us say he resits the exams in summer,who can give him academic reference as he will have been out of school all those months?

Schools can still give academic references after a student has left school, especially if it has only been a few months since they left school
Original post by macbook4
Are all universities considering summer exams a resit? it make no sense as students didn't "sit" an exam. I am hoping the stance will change.

It’s not because the students didn’t ‘sit’ and exam in the first place, based on that then yes technically it should be a first sit. But the issue is because people who choose to do it in summer will have an extra 1 year to revise whereas people who do it in autumn have about 2 months. Would it be fair for someone who had an extra year to revise to be treated the same as someone who had 2 months? I don’t think it is. Although logically speaking summer 2021 exam are first exam sittings due to never having done an exam in the first place, on the grounds of fairness I’d say they are resists. Sorry
Original post by GANFYD
Certainly for October, but the issue is around next Summer exams, especially if people have also done the autumn ones, as then they have, technically, had 3 "years" (or certainly a year longer than next year's normal cohort) and 2 goes at an exam, so one is a resit.
I just think the logistics of determining who is a genuine resit and who is a "first sitter" will be more hassle than it's worth and all exams this next year will be treated as a first sitting

This year is not the same as last many years!

School did not complete curriculum for subjects as we went in lockdown in middle March.

We have been forced to become 3 year A levels category. No one has tested us so far!

Why were the CAG results not given to students earlier, one could know that you will not meet your conditional grades. Why were the results declared so late especially as no papers were marked.

We would have had more time prepare for Autumn exams.

These are not normal circumstances, we all
Worked so hard to attain UCAT/ BMAT, then interviews and offers!

Now universities are saying summer exams for us will be treated as ReSit, how when we are the ones who have suffered the most trauma of this uncertainties of last 4-5 months.

We did not ask for this Pandemic, neither did we have any part in this chaos.

New UCAS applicants of 2019 - should not be treated as Re-sit for summer 2021. In today’s times when everything is computerised saying, it will be difficult for admissions teams to identify us is not acceptable.

We are the ones who are braving to do UCAT/ BMAT again, preparing for exams without the support of school (as now we are classed private), will be doing MMI interviews. All by ourselves alone.
I take your point, however trying to get over the shock and disappointment of the results, spending time on appeals. leaves very little time to revise for an exam.
Then perhaps the govt should have released the results July or else push the exams to end of November.
Original post by aldede100
Hiya,
This year was kinda crazy, huh...
So basically, I held an AAA offer for a medical school but missed it significantly.
Anyhoo, I’m considering privately taking the 2021 summer A levels as I was given BBC this time around (history, chem, bio) although my CAG grades were higher (still would have to resit but in a significantly stronger position). And before you ask, I’ve spoken to my school and I don’t think I can appeal. I just think realistically, there isn’t enough time for me to do three A levels in the autumn series. However, I’m really afraid of how these grades will affect my chance at gaining a place at a medical school since you have to declare it on UCAS. I’m 100% sure I can achieve at least my predictions but I don’t know if I’d secure a place.
I’m feeling really anxious about it and wanted to get some advice on this.
Thanks!

Read the above, there are 20 or so med schools which will accept A-Level retakes with no questions asked.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by GGmedd
Hi guys,

I had an offer of ABB for med (widening access) but I received AAC. I’ve asked my sixth form to appeal the C grade but I’m not sure if it will be successful because I got a C in my mocks but my CAG was a B. If my appeal isn’t successful I’m looking to resit (I got the C grade in maths) this October. I’m worried that I may not do well enough to get a B since I haven’t dont any a levels maths related work since the end of March. Do you know any resources and tutors which can help me achieve at least a grade B in maths (OCR A).

Anyone else in a similar position? If so what are you planning on doing?

Thanks

Literally in the exact same position. Although, won’t sit this October. To me, it’s pointless. We’ve been out of school for 5/ 6 months and haven’t been studying much/at all. For me, there’s no way I’d improve and would probably get a lower grade that I received.
With due respect should not our cohort (UCAS new applicants 2019) who did the whole cycle and got conditional offers be considered as ReSits for 2021 entry. Why she we do UCAT and BMAT again? Why should our last year entry be considered.
I want to apply to medicine in 2022 with achieved a levels by sitting the summer 2021 exams
My question is would my summer 2021 exams be considered first sitting or resits? (Im not sitting autumn exams)

(I applied for physiotherapy because my parents wanted me too and my gcses are not good but i missed out on my offer for physio so im taking a gap yr)

My heart has always been set on medicine
Plz reply
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by SpaceTravel
With due respect should not our cohort (UCAS new applicants 2019) who did the whole cycle and got conditional offers be considered as ReSits for 2021 entry. Why she we do UCAT and BMAT again? Why should our last year entry be considered.

Oh yes, I meant even if you take the Summer 2021 exams it shouldn't be a problem, that's all.

I feel that each medical school will have their own policy - and the Results Day saga has not yet been finalised. Perhaps everyone will still get better grades, who knows?

Thanks!
I had a conditional offer for medicine this year but on results day I missed the grades as all my grades were downgraded. I'll have to sit exams in all 3 of my subjects but the good news is my uni said they would honour my offer if I get AAA in the autumn or summer exams. My teacher is suggesting I take all of them in autumn to get them out of the way and because apparently the grade boundaries would be lower in the autumn compared to in the summer. I am willing to work really hard but I don't know if it is possible to do all the exams in autumn and get A's. Any advise? Anyone else have to take all their subjects? when are you planning on doing the exams ?
Reply 74
This year is not the same as last many years!

School did not complete curriculum for subjects as we went in lockdown in middle March.

We have been forced to become 3 year A levels category. No one has tested us so far!

Why were the CAG results not given to students earlier, one could know that you will not meet your conditional grades. Why were the results declared so late especially as no papers were marked.

We would have had more time prepare for Autumn exams.

These are not normal circumstances, we all
Worked so hard to attain UCAT/ BMAT, then interviews and offers!

Now universities are saying summer exams for us will be treated as ReSit, how when we are the ones who have suffered the most trauma of this uncertainties of last 4-5 months.

We did not ask for this Pandemic, neither did we have any part in this chaos.

New UCAS applicants of 2019 - should not be treated as Re-sit for summer 2021. In today’s times when everything is computerised saying, it will be difficult for admissions teams to identify us is not acceptable.

We are the ones who are braving to do UCAT/ BMAT again, preparing for exams without the support of school (as now we are classed private), will be doing MMI interviews. All by ourselves alone.

Have you read what I have actually said, at all?
Original post by GANFYD
Have you read what I have actually said, at all?

Yes, Maam, I did, and disagree with your following comment:

''I just think the logistics of determining who is a genuine resit and who is a "first sitter" will be more hassle than it's worth and all exams this next year will be treated as a first sitting''

I don't think this is a logistically a difficult task for any admissions team, and calling our cohort related task as ' more hassle than it's worth' a little bit insensitive.

I respect your effort, and super feedback and support to students.
Reply 76
Yes, Maam, I did, and disagree with your following comment:

''I just think the logistics of determining who is a genuine resit and who is a "first sitter" will be more hassle than it's worth and all exams this next year will be treated as a first sitting''

I don't think this is a logistically a difficult task for any admissions team, and calling our cohort related task as ' more hassle than it's worth' a little bit insensitive.

I respect your effort, and super feedback and support to students.

What that means is that I think med schools will treat all exams sat next year as first sits, for the 2019 cohort.

But if we want to be a purist, the 2020 cohort will also have missed significant periods of A level teaching and are unlikely to be given another year to make things up. nor 2 attempts at sitting the exam (in England).
You say you have never been tested, but it would be an unusual school who had done no testing. If your mock exam was acceptable, then you should be allowed to appeal and would be given this grade, even though mocks are not a standardised, externally assessed exam.

Your post is correct in saying you did not ask for this pandemic - nobody did, but I think those who have lost loved ones and the people who were seriously ill or died are the ones who have suffered the most, not A level students, if you want to talk about insensitive.....

My comment was that med schools will possibly look upon your cohort more favourably than others who do an exam for a second time. I do not see this as insensitive? If admin teams could be bothered to deal with the hassle, then they may decide to sift through for all those who have already sat the exam in Oct and if grades are not made, to reject them. I do not think they will find this worth the hassle. I am not sure if this is an English comprehension issue, but it is not about the cohort, it is about the logistics of processing applications - and works in your favour. If you think they should do it, it may well result in this cohort only getting 1 attempt at sitting exams rather than 2. I do not think I am saying what you seem to have interpreted it as.....
Reply 77
I was wondering which medical schools are holding offers open for students resitting in either Autumn or Spring 2021? I.e not having to do UCAT again or be interviewed again? So not a reapplication just having to get the grades?

Has anyone been offered this?

Thanks
I was wondering that if i am resitting then who will give me the predictions when i apply for medical school?
Original post by ahamed_ans
I was wondering that if i am resitting then who will give me the predictions when i apply for medical school?

Please post in this thread for resit / retake queries.

Who are you resitting with? If it's a school they'll predict you.