The Student Room Group

Can I apply to uni through ucas.

So I am going to a uni which isn't exactly my first choice, and as such I am looking to redo an a level (maybe 2) during the first year to improve it. So My question is essentially if I'm at a uni and I have an level grade i'm looking to retake at the end of the coming year, will I still be able to get accepted by said uni when applying through ucas? Also assuming I am doing distance learning and am still able to get predicted grades when applying to them through UCAS. Also is it possible to apply through clearing while at a university.
Original post by Jumbletronboo
So I am going to a uni which isn't exactly my first choice, and as such I am looking to redo an a level (maybe 2) during the first year to improve it. So My question is essentially if I'm at a uni and I have an level grade i'm looking to retake at the end of the coming year, will I still be able to get accepted by said uni when applying through ucas? Also assuming I am doing distance learning and am still able to get predicted grades when applying to them through UCAS. Also is it possible to apply through clearing while at a university.

Not sure this makes sense but will try.

So I am going to a uni which isn't exactly my first choice, and as such I am looking to redo an a level (maybe 2) during the first year to improve it.
[ Not wise imo unless you know you cna cope with the work of both. Better would be to resit and take a gap.]

So My question is essentially if I'm at a uni and I have an level grade i'm looking to retake at the end of the coming year, will I still be able to get accepted by said uni when applying through ucas?
[Yes you apply through UCAS whilst at uni, eventually they will wnat a refence and may ask for your trasncript.]

Also assuming I am doing distance learning and am still able to get predicted grades when applying to them through UCAS. [dont think it makes any difference]

Also is it possible to apply through clearing while at a university. [clearing closes on 20 October. If you have already started it will get messy in terms of finance if you start a course and then wnat to transfer elsewhere. It wouldnt stop you contacting another uni, but youd have to ask clearing ass normally you can only enter if you hold no offers, I suppose that would be true, but sounds like a pain to sort out] . Someone like PQ would know the answer.
Original post by 999tigger
Not sure this makes sense but will try.

So I am going to a uni which isn't exactly my first choice, and as such I am looking to redo an a level (maybe 2) during the first year to improve it.
[ Not wise imo unless you know you cna cope with the work of both. Better would be to resit and take a gap.]

So My question is essentially if I'm at a uni and I have an level grade i'm looking to retake at the end of the coming year, will I still be able to get accepted by said uni when applying through ucas?
[Yes you apply through UCAS whilst at uni, eventually they will wnat a refence and may ask for your trasncript.]

Also assuming I am doing distance learning and am still able to get predicted grades when applying to them through UCAS. [dont think it makes any difference]

Also is it possible to apply through clearing while at a university. [clearing closes on 20 October. If you have already started it will get messy in terms of finance if you start a course and then wnat to transfer elsewhere. It wouldnt stop you contacting another uni, but youd have to ask clearing ass normally you can only enter if you hold no offers, I suppose that would be true, but sounds like a pain to sort out] . Someone like PQ would know the answer.

Firstly I'd like to say a very big thank you for responding, and also on the note of applying through clearing I meant lets say in the coming year so 2021 clearing (sorry for not being specific). And if it's okay would I be able to maybe ask more things in dms or something like that?
Firstly I'd like to say a very big thank you for responding, and also on the note of applying through clearing I meant lets say in the coming year so 2021 clearing (sorry for not being specific). And if it's okay would I be able to maybe ask more things in dms or something like that?

If it was for 2021, then you would be able to make a normal transfer/ fresh applucation via UCAS as soon as they open in September 2020 for 2021.
Clearing for 2021 wont open till July 2021, so applying as normal makes more sense.

If you arent keen on the uni I would save myself the £10,000-20,000 and foicus on improving my A levels. Its information light so cnat comment further.

Please don’t do this. I have never seen a student successful resit A levels alongside a degree course. You’re setting yourself up to fail.

if you want to sit exams and reapply for university then do that without also starting a different degree elsewhere.
Original post by PQ
Please don’t do this. I have never seen a student successful resit A levels alongside a degree course. You’re setting yourself up to fail.

if you want to sit exams and reapply for university then do that without also starting a different degree elsewhere.

Im planning to do the same as op. I was thinking of what u said about degree and a levels but the resit exams are literally 2-3 weeks into uni hence the workload can honestly not be that bad, can it?
Original post by Super_M8rio
Im planning to do the same as op. I was thinking of what u said about degree and a levels but the resit exams are literally 2-3 weeks into uni hence the workload can honestly not be that bad, can it?

At the point where you’re supposed to be settling in, making friends and fighting homesickness you want to sit exams.

I am not joking when I say that I have never seen a candidate manage to succeed in this. It’s a terrible option, wastes your limited SFE funding years, costs money and makes students miserable.

If you want to sot October exams then please PLEASE take a gap year.
Original post by PQ
At the point where you’re supposed to be settling in, making friends and fighting homesickness you want to sit exams.

I am not joking when I say that I have never seen a candidate manage to succeed in this. It’s a terrible option, wastes your limited SFE funding years, costs money and makes students miserable.

If you want to sot October exams then please PLEASE take a gap year.

I was thinking of taking a gap year but if i dont do well in the resits ill at least have the current uni im in to continue. If i do well ill drop and reapply to a better uni. Does this seem ok? The only negative i see is the money wasted but im willing to risk that ig.
I was thinking of taking a gap year but if i dont do well in the resits ill at least have the current uni im in to continue. If i do well ill drop and reapply to a better uni. Does this seem ok? The only negative i see is the money wasted but im willing to risk that ig.

You can reapply to your backup uni for 2021 start. No need to try to take a degree and A levels at the same time.

How do you think it looks to the universities that you apply to that you’re studying a degree with no intention of completing it? Your UCAS form has to include ALL education - that includes attendance at university even if you drop out after a few weeks (and October results aren’t out until December).

Please don’t do this. It is a terrible idea.
Original post by PQ
You can reapply to your backup uni for 2021 start. No need to try to take a degree and A levels at the same time.

How do you think it looks to the universities that you apply to that you’re studying a degree with no intention of completing it? Your UCAS form has to include ALL education - that includes attendance at university even if you drop out after a few weeks (and October results aren’t out until December).

Please don’t do this. It is a terrible idea.

But the uni i got was through clearing and on a normal circumstance if I had received the grades i did i would nowhere near be able to attend that course as its 4 grades above and i luckily got it through clearing. Do you think dropping out will look really bad surely universities will understand wont they?
But the uni i got was through clearing and on a normal circumstance if I had received the grades i did i would nowhere near be able to attend that course as its 4 grades above and i luckily got it through clearing. Do you think dropping out will look really bad surely universities will understand wont they?

Ask the clearing university if they would honour their offer if you decide to sit exams and reapply.

Dropping out is one thing - if you’re sitting October exams that shows a lack of commitment to the course you’re starting. That looks bad on an application. If you’re willing to mess around one university why would another trust you to be applying in good faith?
Original post by PQ
Ask the clearing university if they would honour their offer if you decide to sit exams and reapply.

Dropping out is one thing - if you’re sitting October exams that shows a lack of commitment to the course you’re starting. That looks bad on an application. If you’re willing to mess around one university why would another trust you to be applying in good faith?

That’s so true. Yes you’re right. Ok I’ll ask if they can defer or give an offer if I sit and reapply. If they say that’s not possible what should i do? Shall i just trust myself and take a gap year to resit in October?
That’s so true. Yes you’re right. Ok I’ll ask if they can defer or give an offer if I sit and reapply. If they say that’s not possible what should i do? Shall i just trust myself and take a gap year to resit in October?

I would go with the gap year whatever. Better than trying to do everything together or sticking with your clearing choice and wondering “what if”.
Original post by PQ
I would go with the gap year whatever. Better than trying to do everything together or sticking with your clearing choice and wondering “what if”.

Ok thank u sm for the idea :smile:. Im going to try my best to defer the place and ask them to honour when i apply again for the 2021 entry. What reason could I use or shall i just say im retaking the exams to get higher grades?
Ok thank u sm for the idea :smile:. Im going to try my best to defer the place and ask them to honour when i apply again for the 2021 entry. What reason could I use or shall i just say im retaking the exams to get higher grades?

Say that you’re taking exams and that you think trying to balance the exams with university study wouldn’t work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending