The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher French 2020-2021

bit early but might as well start lol

Scroll to see replies

Good idea! I’m doing AH next year too.
I'm taking it too : )
Have any of you guys started your French course yet? I had to choose between two books to read for my portfolio: Le Petit Prince or No et moi (I chose this one). I've to read 15 chapters for Wednesday :frown: The book has some difficult vocab in it so I might change to Le Petit Prince. I'm just curious as to what everyone else is up to?
I’ve been doing it for 6 weeks and we’ve virtually done nothing new I have no idea what my teacher is playing at
Original post by thepunmaster.e
I’ve been doing it for 6 weeks and we’ve virtually done nothing new I have no idea what my teacher is playing at

How many people have you got in your class? I'm the only one in my school doing AH French and there is only one person doing AH Spanish
There is 6 in my class and I think about 8 in AH spanish
Original post by SchuylerSister22
How many people have you got in your class? I'm the only one in my school doing AH French and there is only one person doing AH Spanish

you're the only one? gosh
Original post by pineapplepink
you're the only one? gosh

Yeah the people at my school really don't like langauges haha, so I have to sit with the Higher class
Yeah the people at my school really don't like langauges haha, so I have to sit with the Higher class

:lol: at my school the AH Spanish is really big- something like 15 people
I was going to say do you get a lot of one to one with the teacher but then I was like we're all at home anyway:facepalm:
(edited 3 years ago)
I made this thread quite a few years ago. Hopefully it's of help to you guys: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896

Feel free to ask me for any help regarding French, Spanish or modern languages in general!
Original post by Quick-use
I made this thread quite a few years ago. Hopefully it's of help to you guys: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2320896

Feel free to ask me for any help regarding French, Spanish or modern languages in general!

and English too it seems lol
thank for the thread

Consider yourself lucky - my school is the same but couldn’t be bothered running it at all! I’m meant to be starting it at college in August, but that might prove tough since I don’t know how it will run and with starting a few months later

Let’s just hope we’re not stuck like this too long
Reply 13
Hey I'm doing AH French this year too! (maybe?) I was supposed to be sitting in with the Higher class but it turns out the teacher is unable to teach the AH course, so I've essentially got to self-teach or not do it at all. I've got access to tonnes of resources and also SCHOLAR so it seems hard but do-able, do you guys think it's possible?
Original post by Airie
Hey I'm doing AH French this year too! (maybe?) I was supposed to be sitting in with the Higher class but it turns out the teacher is unable to teach the AH course, so I've essentially got to self-teach or not do it at all. I've got access to tonnes of resources and also SCHOLAR so it seems hard but do-able, do you guys think it's possible?

It might be though I imagine it would be very difficult. I'm the only one doing AH aswell but I just sit at the back of the higher class while my teacher gives me tasks to work through. Why can't you be in the room with the Highers?
Original post by Airie

It might be though I imagine it would be very difficult. I'm the only one doing AH aswell but I just sit at the back of the higher class while my teacher gives me tasks to work through. Why can't you be in the room with the Highers?

Howdy! :rambo: Hope you both don't mind me butting in. Someone made a thread recently about doing AH languages and I honestly think my advice to them would be applicable to you as well: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88309530&highlight=

All in all, just remember that you really, really don't need AH qualifications at all. They really can take up a lot of your time and amount up to quite a bit of stress. That said, I would highly encourage the experience of doing one, especially if you want to go to university after. And, if you're thinking about doing a foreign language at university, then I'd recommend you doing an AH language all the more. However, unless your timetable is completely free, you have nothing better to do and you're cruising through the course because it's so easy, then I wouldn't bother with the exam.

Please, please just remember to focus on your Highers for entry into university and the experience of doing an AH course. Sitting the AH final exam is not required at all; you can just do the course throughout the year and then choose not to sit the exam. I wish I had done this!

Doing AH Spanish helped me soooo much with university level French and Spanish but my situation was less than ideal because I had to to travel to another school every other day and the teachers were pretty bad... I somewhat wish I hadn't sit the final exam because it really wasn't worth the stress.

Anyway, if either of you need help with languages or AH French/Spanish, let me know - I've done a degree in both and I tutor students from Nat 5 to AH. :rambo:

P.S. Neither AH Spanish nor AH French were offered at my school. I did AH Spanish at another school and ended up self-teaching AH French (but not sitting the exam unlike Spanish).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16

I spoke to my teachers about it and the person who would've taught me has never taught AH before and so doesn't want to teach me it (which is a little bit of a copout imo).

Original post by Quick-use
Howdy! :rambo: Hope you both don't mind me butting in. Someone made a thread recently about doing AH languages and I honestly think my advice to them would be applicable to you as well: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88309530&highlight=

All in all, just remember that you really, really don't need AH qualifications at all. They really can take up a lot of your time and amount up to quite a bit of stress. That said, I would highly encourage the experience of doing one, especially if you want to go to university after. And, if you're thinking about doing a foreign language at university, then I'd recommend you doing an AH language all the more. However, unless your timetable is completely free, you have nothing better to do and you're cruising through the course because it's so easy, then I wouldn't bother with the exam.

Please, please just remember to focus on your Highers for entry into university and the experience of doing an AH course. Sitting the AH final exam is not required at all; you can just do the course throughout the year and then choose not to sit the exam. I wish I had done this!

Doing AH Spanish helped me soooo much with university level French and Spanish but my situation was less than ideal because I had to to travel to another school every other day and the teachers were pretty bad... I somewhat wish I hadn't sit the final exam because it really wasn't worth the stress.

Anyway, if either of you need help with languages or AH French/Spanish, let me know - I've done a degree in both and I tutor students from Nat 5 to AH. :rambo:

P.S. Neither AH Spanish nor AH French were offered at my school. I did AH Spanish at another school and ended up self-teaching AH French (but not sitting the exam unlike Spanish).

Thanks for such a long reply! Normally you're right that I wouldn't need advanced highers, but I've had my sights set on Oxford for a while so AHs are a bit more necessary.

As for managing it time-wise, there's no real issue there. The way my timetable has worked out means I've got about two dozen study periods a week which is kinda crazy, but its actually pretty useful in this situation!

One thing I am worried about though is the portfolio. Im taking Advanced English as well and I'm assuming the portfolio is quite similar to the dissertation that you do for that, but I don't have a clue what books/films are good to do it on, do you have any recommendations?
I’m currently reading Le Dernier Jour d’un Condamnée by Hugo. Not sure if I will use it for the project as I have no idea when I will have my first AH lesson.

It’s really tough and slow-going but the version of the book I have is meant for French middle school students and has useful explanations at the side and between chapters
Hey, sorry I seemed to have completely missed this! Are you self-studying or doing with a teacher? :rambo:
Hi, I’m studying with a teacher - twice a week, online. We just got a suggested list of books that we could be supported on sent out to us and No et Moi (Delphine de Vigan) was the one that appealed to me the most.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending