The Student Room Group

how to afford clothes

i really need new clothes and feel so insecure about the clothes that i do have but clothes are so expensive and although i do have the money, i don’t want to spend so much for so little clothes. anyone got any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Clothes are really really cheap?
Charity shops definitely. Cheap clothes and lots of shops have a lot of stock at the moment due to big clear outs throughout lockdown :smile:
can I ask why you feel insecure about the clothes you have? I get it but, mind sharing? Do you not like the style or
thank you for the answers!
(edited 3 years ago)
thank you!
Original post by Westengland24
can I ask why you feel insecure about the clothes you have? I get it but, mind sharing? Do you not like the style or

i just don’t feel comfortable in them and don’t like them anymore
Original post by nexttime

they’re not. i’m too young to get a job and if you want to have a good amount of nice clothes, it adds up to more than you’d think
Original post by lucymcdonald
i really need new clothes and feel so insecure about the clothes that i do have but clothes are so expensive and although i do have the money, i don’t want to spend so much for so little clothes. anyone got any suggestions?

I personally don't use this option but you could always buy second-hand from Ebay/Depop. You'll get clothes cheaper than RRP (but maybe check postage and packing costs too as they can quickly add up). Depop seems to be very popular currently with my friends so maybe try looking into it :smile:
Depop is good however people on Vinted are more willing to sell clothes cheap because they get to keep all the money (whereas Depop take %). Sell your old clothes on there and just buy new ones with the money you gain!
clothes are really really cheap

this is relative. if you're struggling to pay rent or buy a bus ticket no its not
Try looking in the sales that are going on at the moment. I've found a few pieces at great prices at H&M recently
Original post by angelinahx
this is relative. if you're struggling to pay rent or buy a bus ticket no its not

If OP was struggling to buy a bus ticket, I doubt their priority would be buying new clothes because they are bored of their current clothes.

You can get clothes quite cheaply is sales, charity shops and on eBay.
Original post by angelinahx

I mean, charity shops literally get rid of most of their donations for a few pennies of rag money...

OP's desires, however, might not be cheap at all.

Depends where you shop...Primark sure, Prada not so much :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)

Depop can be really helpful. For example, if you are looking for clothes on online shops like JD or New Look (just examples), you could search up what you want on Depop and sometimes you might be able to find it for a cheaper price :smile:
Charity shops/thrift stores- I got these gorgeous jordans and af1 for £15 in total, there's also an event that happens throughout most of the uk where you can get 1kg of clothes for £10 (don't know if they're still doing that)

H&M- it's cheaper and has some nice pieces

Depop- you can select your price range and whether you want free delivery or not so there's lots of options

Search for discount codes too!

Try the kids section if you fit
Sort through your current clothes into what you wear and don't wear. Then make a list of items to buy before buying anything. It's so easy to just add things to your basket and it soon adds up. If you have a list of what you're going to buy then it's easier to keep the cost down. Think about having a "core wardrobe" made up of items you'll wear often (e.g. a pair of nice fitting jeans, a couple of nice jumpers etc.) you should then be able to mix and match these to create lots of different outfits. You can then add things to this over time. If you really like something that's "fashionable" then buy it but for the most part, if you try and make sure your core wardrobe is the stuff that isn't the latest fashion but more timeless then it won't go out of fashion and you'll wear it more and for longer. It's an initial outlay but if you think about and plan it and buy items to last then you'll end up saving more in the long run and have clothes that'll last you.

In terms of where to buy, you can find some great stuff in charity shops for pennies, depop is pretty good and so is ebay. You can always look on brands websites to see what there is/what you like and then search for it on ebay. Supermarkets can also have some decent stuff at reasonable prices, I have a pair of supermarket jeans that have lasted years! H&M is also good especially for t-shirts, their basic range is really decent, and look in sales, especially for summer stuff which shops will be starting to get rid of soon.
Hey I am really sorry that you feel insecure about clothes. Just lookout for local stores or online stores like Nirofashion which is a dedicated mens designer store having clothes and accessories from renowned brands.
Reply 19

Primark and H&M can sometimes bring out top notch expensive looking clothing. Maybe it’s worth having a look there?

Quick Reply

Latest