The Student Room Group

Gap Year Student Finance

Hi. I’m going to be applying for medicine this year 2021 entry. If I don’t get in, I’m planning to take a gap year over grad entry. I know that for grad entry u do not receive a student loan (maybe only maintenance loan). I was wondering if u can receive the full student loan (tuition and maintenance) if u take a gap year and then apply (so if I take a gap year 2021 and apply for 2022 entry)? Would I be able to get the student loan to cover the med course from 2022 till the end? Thanks in advance guys :smile:
Original post by AMSethi
Hi. I’m going to be applying for medicine this year 2021 entry. If I don’t get in, I’m planning to take a gap year over grad entry. I know that for grad entry u do not receive a student loan (maybe only maintenance loan). I was wondering if u can receive the full student loan (tuition and maintenance) if u take a gap year and then apply (so if I take a gap year 2021 and apply for 2022 entry)? Would I be able to get the student loan to cover the med course from 2022 till the end? Thanks in advance guys :smile:

Gap years don’t affect your eligibility for student finance.
Original post by PQ
Gap years don’t affect your eligibility for student finance.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Original post by AMSethi

Hi, your information about graduate entry medicine is incorrect.

Here is the funding available to GEM students.

Tuition Fees
Year 1 The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.
Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

Maintenance Funding
Year 1 The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.
Years 2-4 The student can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending