The Student Room Group

Medicine/Dentistry 2021 entry impact from CAG's discussion

from my POI, dental schools usually give out 200 offers but only 70/200 usually reach the grades AAA needed, for this year's year 13s there will be a loads more reaching the grades needed as majority of teachers would've given their dental/med students AAA minimum therefore now what will most likely happen is that they will be deferred to start for 2021 entry as dental Schools can't handle that many students to start for 2020 entry so degrees such as dentistry/med, basically anything competitive is going to be so much more next year.

What are your guys thoughts?
No they wouldn’t have. I want to apply to medicine and with CAG’s I’m at ACC. Not every hopeful medical or dental student would have been given AAA. I know one dentist student who got given DDD with CAG’s. Secondly, because of Covid there will be a lot less international students applying for 2021 entry, so really there was less competition for 2021 and now the competition is just as equal, perhaps ever so slightly more competitive, than normal years.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous17!
No they wouldn’t have. I want to apply to medicine and with CAG’s I’m at ACC. Not every hopeful medical or dental student would have been given AAA. I know one dentist student who got given DDD with CAG’s. Secondly, because of Covid there will be a lot less international students applying for 2021 entry, so really there was less competition for 2021 and now the competition is just as equal, perhaps ever so slightly more competitive, than normal years.

yeah I didn't say everyone getting CAGs will reach their grades but majority will, for a medicine student your teachers giving you ACC means you are an outlier most likely, international students claim is just a suggestion and nothing concrete about that but even if so, for dentistry the number of international students is low I believe, less that 10 usually
Original post by rahimsaif8
yeah I didn't say everyone getting CAGs will reach their grades but majority will, for a medicine student your teachers giving you ACC means you are an outlier most likely, international students claim is just a suggestion and nothing concrete about that but even if so, for dentistry the number of international students is low I believe, less that 10 usually

I know you didn’t say all, I was just trying to reassure you that the number won’t be as a high as you think. I’m not going to be an outlier out of thousands of people, there will still be others in a similar situation to me. And secondly, you asked us what we though and both I and ecolier, a student room ambassador and well versed in medical happens has also said that the number of EU students is likely to decrease. Whether there will be more spaces for medicine and dentistry or not is only something you can wait and find out, but just focus on getting your application as good as possible and working towards your own a-level grades and then worry about the competition

Quick Reply

Latest