The Student Room Group

University or Career/apprenticeship

I have a confirmed place at a pretty Good university for chemical engineering. The main reason for me doing this is just for the degree and hopefully better job prospects i dont want to be a chemical engineer. The only thing is idk any jobs with high earning potential with apprenticeships or a straight job. Ive been looking online for more information to make a decision but idk what type of jobs can i get with a chemical engineering degree vs a good apprenticeship???
A good apprenticeship will get your foot in the door with a company, provide you with valuable work experience, and allow you to continue doing some form of education. If you do well at the end of it you're also very likely to be taken on for a permanent position with the company. You can also do degree apprenticeships so you don't necessarily need to sacrifice uni for work.

If you don't want to be a chemical engineer spending 3 years of your life and lots of money learning about it probably isn't the best choice for you. But I don't know nearly enough about it to say any more than that.

In either case you're highly unlikely to come out of it with a high paying job and will start off in an entry level position. At least with an apprenticeship you will already have had 3 years in the workforce to start climbing the ranks and gain practical skills companies could use.
(if you couldn't tell im a little biased towards apprenticeships as im soon to start one myself)
Reply 2
Original post by PastaMilk
A good apprenticeship will get your foot in the door with a company, provide you with valuable work experience, and allow you to continue doing some form of education. If you do well at the end of it you're also very likely to be taken on for a permanent position with the company. You can also do degree apprenticeships so you don't necessarily need to sacrifice uni for work.

If you don't want to be a chemical engineer spending 3 years of your life and lots of money learning about it probably isn't the best choice for you. But I don't know nearly enough about it to say any more than that.

In either case you're highly unlikely to come out of it with a high paying job and will start off in an entry level position. At least with an apprenticeship you will already have had 3 years in the workforce to start climbing the ranks and gain practical skills companies could use.
(if you couldn't tell im a little biased towards apprenticeships as im soon to start one myself)

I just dont know what apprenticeships would be really good like high level, like what really good companies give out apprenticeships.
What do you actually want to do for a career?
Reply 4
Original post by Student-95

I would really like to work overseas, something like consultancy or digital marketing. I also am looking to create my own business hopefully but thats in the future.
Reply 5

I would really like to work overseas, something like consultancy or digital marketing. I also am looking to create my own business hopefully but thats in the future.
Reply 6

Original post by timi1234

So why are you considering chemical engineering?
I just dont know what apprenticeships would be really good like high level, like what really good companies give out apprenticeships.

I've seen apprenticeships from Amazon, Facebook, Santandar, BT, JP Morgan, Microsoft, GCHQ, and Siemens.
I would consider them good companies.
And of course apprenticeships won't be good high level - university won't be either unless you go further than bachelors. Apprenticeships are there to get you from an entry level position to a mid level position. From there you can work your way further up the company to a high level if you so wish.
Reply 9
Original post by PastaMilk
I've seen apprenticeships from Amazon, Facebook, Santandar, BT, JP Morgan, Microsoft, GCHQ, and Siemens.
I would consider them good companies.
And of course apprenticeships won't be good high level - university won't be either unless you go further than bachelors. Apprenticeships are there to get you from an entry level position to a mid level position. From there you can work your way further up the company to a high level if you so wish.

I've heard theres certain roles where having a degree might limit my earning potential in the future so i preocious about that especially.
I've heard there's certain roles where having a degree might limit my earning potential in the future so i precious about that especially.

That's why I'd recommend a degree apprenticeship if you think you can handle the workload.

But even if not having a degree does limit your earning potential, you can do further training down the line. My Dad went to night school to get a degree-level qualification a decade after he'd finished school. Your fate isn't completely decided by what you choose now. I think it's better to chose the option that allows you to make some money and contribute to a pension sooner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending