The Student Room Group

Accommodation at Uni I was rejected from initially.

Hi.Here's the situation:I got rejected from Leeds as my Firm choice though Newcastle, my Insurance, has accepted me. However, my CUG grades are BBB which are what Leeds originally wanted which, providing there's enough space on the course, they may offer me a place. One of my main concerns if I do get offered a place is accommodation. I really do want to live in student halls for the first year however Leeds seem to want to get you to accept their offer first then they'll figure-out accommodation though they don't guarantee it.

I don't want to accept Leeds, reject Newcastle then find out just over a month before move-in that I need to find accommodation myself (like if Leeds' own accommodation is full).

I applied by the end of the July deadline for Newcastle accommodation and, though they say it's not guaranteed, I think I have a better chance of getting a room than the sudden rush for places that'll happen tomorrow.

I'm fine with going to either Leeds or Newcastle though since Leeds was my firm I feel I may aswell at least try to get into it with these revised grades I'll be given shortly.

Any ideas?

I am, of course, just predicting what will happen tomorrow when I ring them. There's no guarantee I'll even get a place at Leeds (course may be full) though I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and go for Leeds then find out I can't get into University-owned accommodation (which I prefer than just a flat somewhere with a landlord).
Original post by leg . end
Hi.Here's the situation:I got rejected from Leeds as my Firm choice though Newcastle, my Insurance, has accepted me. However, my CUG grades are BBB which are what Leeds originally wanted which, providing there's enough space on the course, they may offer me a place. One of my main concerns if I do get offered a place is accommodation. I really do want to live in student halls for the first year however Leeds seem to want to get you to accept their offer first then they'll figure-out accommodation though they don't guarantee it.

I don't want to accept Leeds, reject Newcastle then find out just over a month before move-in that I need to find accommodation myself (like if Leeds' own accommodation is full).

I applied by the end of the July deadline for Newcastle accommodation and, though they say it's not guaranteed, I think I have a better chance of getting a room than the sudden rush for places that'll happen tomorrow.

I'm fine with going to either Leeds or Newcastle though since Leeds was my firm I feel I may aswell at least try to get into it with these revised grades I'll be given shortly.

Any ideas?

I am, of course, just predicting what will happen tomorrow when I ring them. There's no guarantee I'll even get a place at Leeds (course may be full) though I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and go for Leeds then find out I can't get into University-owned accommodation (which I prefer than just a flat somewhere with a landlord).

Remember there are lost of private halls.
Why not ring accommodation for both up and see what the likelihood is and you cna bear that in mind when choosing to accpet either.
Reply 2
hey! i think i remember you from the appeal thread :P got the grades that i need for leeds but same, im worried about accom places too since even if its possible through private itd be a bit of a stress, but yea I've emailed accom and will call tomo to see what theyre saying,,,
I call them today as I was in a similar situation and got a place on a different course to leeds through clearing and they said that I still was going to be given accomidation :smile:
Original post by hope22.
hey! i think i remember you from the appeal thread :P got the grades that i need for leeds but same, im worried about accom places too since even if its possible through private itd be a bit of a stress, but yea I've emailed accom and will call tomo to see what theyre saying,,,

Rung them and they said that I'd be given the place since I got the results and to just watch the website for the next step. Couldn't tell me anything about accommodation.
I then rung accommodation who said they can generally house most of the students applying and would consider the accommodation application I made I few months ago.

Overall just want us to watch their website I think.

Have you tried to ring and if so what was their response?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Rung them and they said that I'd be given the place since I got the results and to just watch the website for the next step. Couldn't tell me anything about accommodation.
I then rung accommodation who said they can generally house most of the students applying and would consider the accommodation application I made I few months ago.

Overall just want us to watch their website I think.

Have you tried to ring and if so what was their response?

so apparently as long as u originally applied b4 their july 1 deadline you get to continue with the same original application,,, have u heard back? they emailed me with that info when finally writing back to accept me onto my course again! i hope you heard back and it was positive
Original post by hope22.
so apparently as long as u originally applied b4 their july 1 deadline you get to continue with the same original application,,, have u heard back? they emailed me with that info when finally writing back to accept me onto my course again! i hope you heard back and it was positive

I think I got the same email as you.
The email says to release myself into clearing (as my insurance, Newcastle, has given me a place) and then on the clearing option, enter the Leed's details. Then email the accommodation team to say that I'd like a room.
Have you got the same email?
Feel a bit nervous withdrawing my application to Newcastle in case something goes wrong!

See attached picSharedScreenshot.jpg
Reply 7
I think I got the same email as you.
The email says to release myself into clearing (as my insurance, Newcastle, has given me a place) and then on the clearing option, enter the Leed's details. Then email the accommodation team to say that I'd like a room.
Have you got the same email?
Feel a bit nervous withdrawing my application to Newcastle in case something goes wrong!

See attached picSharedScreenshot.jpg

don't worry I felt the same!
Yesterday I declined and released myself into clearing selecting "I have another offer at another uni" as an option, then ucas refreshed into a clearing page and started showing me other courses that matched my grades and I was like mmmm I dont need to look for a course I wanna add a course, I logged out and logged back in ucas track never the clearing section (even tho after releasing from insurance ucas gives you a clearing number) and there in track I added the uni and course number like the Leeds email said, showing like "pending approval" or something. Today morning it refreshed and it shows as accepted so it shouldn't take long to update.
If anything goes wrong, it should be fine because they give you a window until 7 sept. Anyways now it actually shows as an accepted clearing choice I have emailed accom so next issue to be resolved, hopefully we won't get the worst accom *fingers crossed* what was your first choice? I'm hoping for leodis but most people that have been getting emails recently have been given places at other accoms maybe leodis is full 💀💀
Original post by hope22.
don't worry I felt the same!
Yesterday I declined and released myself into clearing selecting "I have another offer at another uni" as an option, then ucas refreshed into a clearing page and started showing me other courses that matched my grades and I was like mmmm I dont need to look for a course I wanna add a course, I logged out and logged back in ucas track never the clearing section (even tho after releasing from insurance ucas gives you a clearing number) and there in track I added the uni and course number like the Leeds email said, showing like "pending approval" or something. Today morning it refreshed and it shows as accepted so it shouldn't take long to update.
If anything goes wrong, it should be fine because they give you a window until 7 sept. Anyways now it actually shows as an accepted clearing choice I have emailed accom so next issue to be resolved, hopefully we won't get the worst accom *fingers crossed* what was your first choice? I'm hoping for leodis but most people that have been getting emails recently have been given places at other accoms maybe leodis is full 💀💀

Yep, did the steps yesterday and it was confirmed early today. Nice.

I applied for Montague Burton though I'm not sure I'll get that, either.

Just have to wait and see. The accommodation team said we'll hear what accommodation we get by 'no later than 9th September'. Seems a bit late to me but they did say they aim to do it before then.

Guess now it's just waiting. Hope I don't get Oxley as that's a long way from the Uni.
Reply 9
Yep, did the steps yesterday and it was confirmed early today. Nice.

I applied for Montague Burton though I'm not sure I'll get that, either.

Just have to wait and see. The accommodation team said we'll hear what accommodation we get by 'no later than 9th September'. Seems a bit late to me but they did say they aim to do it before then.

Guess now it's just waiting. Hope I don't get Oxley as that's a long way from the Uni.

Yea praying we dont get that that'd be tragic, guess I will update here when I get a response (:
Original post by hope22.
Yea praying we dont get that that'd be tragic, guess I will update here when I get a response (:

Managed to get the accommodation I wanted. I was emailed the news on Thursday.
Hopefully you'll also get what you want!
Reply 11
Managed to get the accommodation I wanted. I was emailed the news on Thursday.
Hopefully you'll also get what you want!

eyyy! same here let's gooo
also, are you having any problems with registration? a "qualifications required" message is popping up for me and im guessing it could be bc of the new grades but im not sure
Original post by hope22.
eyyy! same here let's gooo
also, are you having any problems with registration? a "qualifications required" message is popping up for me and im guessing it could be bc of the new grades but im not sure

Had the same issue. Check the message to your thread about it as that's me (anonymous!): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6685586
You could alternatively just email the school of the subject you're studying (or ring them from next week - that's when they're back on campus) explaining that you've been put on a 'Qualification Hold' along with your name and Leeds ID number. Apparently it's a common issue for our situation. Bit annoyed that Leeds haven't really done anything to solve it without us needing to contact them (I sent an email to one of the emails on the website and they didn't respond in 6 days so I had to call) but it should be fixed when the school responds. You should just need to email a copy of the results (that your actual school you've just left gave you) and they'll let you register - at least from what I could gauge on the phone.
Reply 13
Had the same issue. Check the message to your thread about it as that's me (anonymous!): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6685586
You could alternatively just email the school of the subject you're studying (or ring them from next week - that's when they're back on campus) explaining that you've been put on a 'Qualification Hold' along with your name and Leeds ID number. Apparently it's a common issue for our situation. Bit annoyed that Leeds haven't really done anything to solve it without us needing to contact them (I sent an email to one of the emails on the website and they didn't respond in 6 days so I had to call) but it should be fixed when the school responds. You should just need to email a copy of the results (that your actual school you've just left gave you) and they'll let you register - at least from what I could gauge on the phone.

yea communication is looking a bit poor ngl, they never acc told me they solved the issue i just tried to register again and the message wasn't there anymore but ehh at least its solved
anyway cant believe uni is starting soon, when are you moving in? im on the 2pm slot for the 19!
Original post by hope22.
yea communication is looking a bit poor ngl, they never acc told me they solved the issue i just tried to register again and the message wasn't there anymore but ehh at least its solved
anyway cant believe uni is starting soon, when are you moving in? im on the 2pm slot for the 19!

Same here about the sudden registering bit. No communication to say 'you can try now' or something. Bit disappointing on this issue but nevermind.

Remember to do the ID check.

I'm moving in on Wed.
Reply 15
Same here about the sudden registering bit. No communication to say 'you can try now' or something. Bit disappointing on this issue but nevermind.

Remember to do the ID check.

I'm moving in on Wed.

hehe thanks for the reminder! not lookin to have my sf payments delayed so all done now
and oo thats tomorrow,,, have a safe trip!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending