The Student Room Group

Just got ears pierced, need opinions.

Got em' both done today. Not sure about them yet so thought I'd ask y'all.

https://imgur.com/a/8oFWpTh

Have to wait 6-8 weeks before I can get the ones I originally wanted tho.

Also, how long should I wait before I clean them? I know I'm supposed to do them every day, but they're freshly done so I was wondering how many hours I'm to wait or can I clean em' now?

Also, is table salt with warm water okay when cleaning them? That's what they recommended but thought I'd double check...

Scroll to see replies

They look great. From my experience with piercings I got told that table salt isn’t that good to use because it has added stuff in it and that I should use sea salt instead.
Original post by Cloudiii
They look great. From my experience with piercings I got told that table salt isn’t that good to use because it has added stuff in it and that I should use sea salt instead.

What if I don't have any sea salt? :ninja:
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Got em' both done today. Not sure about them yet so thought I'd ask y'all.

https://imgur.com/a/8oFWpTh

Have to wait 6-8 weeks before I can get the ones I originally wanted tho.

Also, how long should I wait before I clean them? I know I'm supposed to do them every day, but they're freshly done so I was wondering how many hours I'm to wait or can I clean em' now?

Also, is table salt with warm water okay when cleaning them? That's what they recommended but thought I'd double check...

i literally got my seconds done 3 days ago as a results day present to myself lool

they should've given you cleaning solution....it needs to be antiseptic stuff really. you can buy it online - i use inverness.

clean them 3 times a day and turn them 5 times a day with clean hands. you can clean them as soon as they're pierced.

most importantly....DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT FOR 6 WEEKS i cannot stress this enough looll
Original post by yzanne
i literally got my seconds done 3 days ago as a results day present to myself lool

they should've given you cleaning solution....it needs to be antiseptic stuff really. you can buy it online - i use inverness.

clean them 3 times a day and turn them 5 times a day with clean hands. you can clean them as soon as they're pierced.

most importantly....DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT FOR 6 WEEKS i cannot stress this enough looll

Cheers for the info :cute:
Reply 5
Warm water and rock salt/iodized salt is fine, i've used in on my helix piercing before every morning and night.
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
What if I don't have any sea salt? :ninja:

Uhh I really don’t think normal table salt is good for piercings. My friend had a saline solution that she used so I guess that’s also an option. But you can find sea salt at like almost any food or convenience store, make sure it’s non iodised also if you decide to get some.
Original post by natha94
Warm water and rock salt/iodized salt is fine, i've used in on my helix piercing before every morning and night.

Ta very muchly
Original post by Cloudiii
Uhh I really don’t think normal table salt is good for piercings. My friend had a saline solution that she used so I guess that’s also an option. But you can find sea salt at like almost any food or convenience store, make sure it’s non iodised also if you decide to get some.

I'll get me mum to pick some up for me then lol
Original post by yzanne

Cleaning them 3 times a day is actually a bit excessive. This used to be the advice years ago but these days the general consensus is that too much cleaning delays the healing process.

There is a society called the American Piercing Society, and while American, it is widely recognised as the leading authority on piercing related advice. This is their advice on keeping fresh piercings clean (and no, antibiotic solutions aren't necessary):

https://www.safepiercing.org/aftercare.php

In terms of turning piercings, the advice I have always been given is to not attempt to move them around until the skin around them begins to loosen up naturally. This is because when you pierce a hole and put a piercing in it, the layers of skin on the innermost side of the peircing heals faster than the outer ones, and this has the effect that in the very initial stages of healing, the hole will tighten around the peircing and lock it in place. If you go trying to forcefully turn the piercing during this stage you can damage the healing skin (and delay the healing process) and in a worst case scenario you can make the hole wider than it should be or cause the piercing to migrate. If you leave the piercing to heal without being moved around too much, the skin will free itself from around the peircing naturally (and it's at this point that turning it gently once in a while is recommended).

I had my septum piercing done just over a year ago at a professional tattoo/piercing studio (one of the best down South) and the advice I was given was simply to clean the area gently once or twice a day with a mild soapy solution using cotton buds. I did this and I had a 100% problem free peircing (no infections, no migration, no nothing) and within 6-8 weeks it was completely healed and mobile in its hole 🙂👍👍
(edited 3 years ago)
Looks good to me!

You should be fine cleaning them the same evening, but it's best to clean them with sea salt, or get yourself some saline spray. I've used "H2Ocean" for all of my piercings and they've all turned out fine.

I'd recommend not using cotton whilst you're cleaning them though, sometimes little bits can come off and could irritate the piercing.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MidgetFever
Looks good to me!

You should be fine cleaning them the same evening, but it's best to clean them with sea salt, or get yourself some saline spray. I've used "H2Ocean" for all of my piercings and they've all turned out fine.

I'd recommend not using cotton whilst you're cleaning them though, sometimes little bits can come off and could irritate the piercing.

H2Ocean seems to have good reviews, might buy it.
I don't get why people waste money on this rubbish.

It's already ridiculous for a girl to do this, even worse for a guy. But it's your choice, I couldn't care less if you ripped your face with a chainsaw.
Original post by PTMalewski

It's already ridiculous for a girl to do this, even worse for a guy. But it's your choice, I couldn't care less if you ripped your face with a chainsaw.

Ripping my face with a chainsaw sounds metal af

Rude much?
Original post by Vapordave
Rude much?

I honestly told you what I think.

It's idiotic to stick metal into your face.

This is what I imagine you look like:
Grandpa-Simpson.jpg
You should consider acting career )

KiDs-ThEsE-dAyS.jpg
Original post by kitmgrath
You should consider acting career )

Why? :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending